Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    Tangential to AJ's decision, but is anyone else following the story of the owners of the BRCA genes and the Supreme Court case to end their ownership? Link to a blog about it- it's also easy to google for information about it.

Myriad is getting lots of positive publicity in the wake of AJ's revelation, but it seems to me they are motivated by money- this should be a lot more open, and it could still be profitable to research. Also- they receive money for research from Komen- who are not supporting the court case to end their gene patent, so in a way, when I donate to Run for the Cure, I'm supporting the high cost of the BRCA test, and the limits other researchers have on access to it.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Cheylana-congrats on 5 years! Me too! I was diagnosed in March of 2008, and I just got through my "5 year" mammogram yesterday!! Or at least I guess it went ok because they didn't call.

I applaud Angelina a lot. But do let me tell you that reconstruction surgery is not always an option. It isn't for me. I'm 63, and I'm not as vain about my tatas as I once was. Plus, since the cancer, every year I have a mammogram, I am faced with the issue of what I would do if they found another DCIS or anything, actually. I have no insurance because since my cancer, what little insurance I can get is exorbitant. I have researched it recently. It should come down some after 5 years cancer-free, but it's still just awfully expensive. And Medicare is 2 years away if they would even pay for reconstruction, which I doubt. Every year I ask myself what I will do if the mammogram doesn't go well. I do believe I would have the mastectomies. But no reconstruction. It would cost tens of thousands of dollars (I have researched it) out of pocket. I can't in good conscience spend that kind of money for new girls at my age. I just wouldn't do it. I don't have a choice. Angelina is wealthy, and she can have the best surgeons and care in the world. I can't. I'm not coming down on her because she "can." Not at all. But do consider that for some, reconstruction is a luxury, not an automatic given.

vCash
    Queensland woman delays surgery, develops cancer

So sad.

Sisters Elisha Neave, Chrissy Keepence and Veronica Neave tested positive for BRCA2 in 2007, giving them an 80 percent risk of developing breast or ovarian cancer.
    But while Chrissy and Veronica decided to have hysterectomies and double mastectomies to reduce their risk, 30-year-old Elisha decided to wait so she could have more children, the Gold Coast Bulletin reports.
    Mother-of-one Elisha, now 34, was diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer in March last year.
    Her sisters have chosen to share their heartbreaking story in the hope of raising awareness.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    But the cost to an average woman would be a lot more in terms of time, dollars, and possibly stress. Jolie doesn't have to worry about income lost due to the cost of the surgeries; about having to take time off from work and the associated loss of income and possible job loss, and; and about getting someone to take care of her children and household while she recovers.
    Jolie's income is based in large part on her image which is tied up in her looks and her sex appeal. It's quite possible she will lose roles over this. She definitely could lose money over this.

I think that makes it very brave of her to be public about what she is going through.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Jolie's income is based in large part on her image which is tied up in her looks and her sex appeal. It's quite possible she will lose roles over this. She definitely could lose money over this.
    She could lose multiple times the money I'll make in a lifetime and still be a wealthy woman. And I doubt she'll lose roles. As someone else pointed out, her breasts are probably better now than they were before the reconstruction. And she can afford to maintain them and replace them if need be. Her sex appeal won't be compromised.

She's also in the class of actors who don't have to bare their breasts - I don't know if she has done so, but generally higher paid actresses have more rights to say no to that.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think people who are harping about her wealth and future earning potential are sort of missing the point in that life threatening diseases are scary for all people. Yes, it's true that Jolie will never have to worry about having to pay her medical expenses like most women (not to mention being able to afford reconstructive surgery), but it's not as if she didn't pay the same hefty "price" with the initial scare that most likely all women would go through if they were given her prognosis/diagnosis. No amount of money can take away the fear, anxiety, and pain of what she went through.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think people who are harping about her wealth and future earning potential are sort of missing the point in that life threatening diseases are scary for all people. Yes, it's true that Jolie will never have to worry about having to pay her medical expenses like most women (not to mention being able to afford reconstructive surgery), but it's not as if she didn't pay the same hefty "price" with the initial scare that most likely all women would go through if they were given her prognosis/diagnosis. No amount of money can take away the fear, anxiety, and pain of what she went through.
    Exactly. Money can buy you peace of mind when it comes to childcare and not having to work to have a roof over your head, but it doesn't buy you peace of mind when it comes to health scares. I doubt all that many people are focused on loss of income when they're faced with a life-threatening illness.

vCash
    Maybe Snoopy was comparing Jolie to non-wealthy celebrities when she said 'lost almost nothing'. It is true that Jolie lost her breasts, which is a whole lot of something, and had to endure the ordeal of going through the surgery and recovering from it, which would the case for any woman.

But the cost to an average woman would be a lot more in terms of time, dollars, and possibly stress. Jolie doesn't have to worry about income lost due to the cost of the surgeries; about having to take time off from work and the associated loss of income and possible job loss, and; and about getting someone to take care of her children and household while she recovers.
    That isn't what snoopy said. "Suffered virtually no loss" was (i think) the phrase that was used. And I'm still flabbergasted that someone is trying to defend that. It wasn't set up as if it was about money, and if it was about Jolie being wealthy and therefore vitually losing nothing, then I am even more flabbergasted, that apparently if you are rich and famous you desrve less sympathy for going what through what you have - is the fact you're rich supposed to compensate you for going through a double mastectomy and reconstruction?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    And Medicare is 2 years away if they would even pay for reconstruction, which I doubt.
    Medicare does pay for reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Exactly. Money can buy you peace of mind when it comes to childcare and not having to work to have a roof over your head, but it doesn't buy you peace of mind when it comes to health scares. I doubt all that many people are focused on loss of income when they're faced with a life-threatening illness.
    We all say over and over that health and love are so important nothing else can replace them. We say that so much they sometimes sound like empty worlds, but they aren't at all.

That being said, I don't think AJ is as scared as just anyone else when she knows about the gene. She knows she can count on the best doctors, the best cares, she knows she won't have to go pick up her meds or her groceries while sick, she knows her children are well taken care of, she knows whatever doubt, or fear, or reassurance she needs she can probably call a darn good doctor anytime, and he/she will put his/her best effort into her care.

It's not the case for just about anyone. Some people wonder if their doctors will be good enough, dedicated enough, or what about taking the kids to paly dates, or even who's picking up the groceries.

-- It's just like being able to pay for the best lawyer team or being stuck with whatever overloaded guy the state appoints for you.

Health is important to everyone, but some people can go through rainy days with a lot less weight on their shoulders, and a lot more assistance that can relieve their fears.

vCash
    I am sorry but hearing everywhere how 'brave' Angelina Jolie is, is probably the most annoying piece of 'news' to have surfaced recently.

Oh so brave to remove her breasts, given she can afford the best plastic surgeons who can then reconstruct them to probably look even better than before.

Yes, it's still a pretty big thing psychologically because you are removing a part of your own body, and one associated with both your sexuality and motherhood. But I find that a lot of the praise, awe and adoration really is lacking perspective.

It's like people praising 'philanthropists' who are spending 0.000001% of their huge incomes on charity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    That being said, I don't think AJ is as scared as just anyone else when she knows about the gene. She knows she can count on the best doctors, the best cares, she knows she won't have to go pick up her meds or her groceries while sick, she knows her children are well taken care of, she knows whatever doubt, or fear, or reassurance she needs she can probably call a darn good doctor anytime, and he/she will put his/her best effort into her care.
    I disagree. Health scares are scary, period. While Jolie may have access to better medical care than most people, so did her mother, and so did any number of other people who had the resources to get the best medical care, and it still wasn't enough. If something happens to Jolie, her kids will be well taken care of, but they will still have lost their mother. Jolie may have had all the help in the world during her medical treatment, but she still underwent major surgeries, lost her breasts - and we know what kind of importance our culture attaches to those, plus reconstructed breasts will not feel the same - will lose her ovaries and go into early menopause, and knows that there is a very real likelihood that she will have passed on this gene to her biological children; all scary, difficult stuff. To diminish the challenges she has faced and will face because she is financially comfortable strikes me as unfair and inappropriate. This is not a competition about who has it worst. This is one woman who got a very bad piece of news, made an informed decision about her own health, and is now sharing a story that might help others.

And Ziggy, yes, it's brave. It's brave to make your private health issues public like this, it's brave for someone in a business where success if often tied to appearance to make this announcement, and it's brave to do it knowing she'd be criticized by many who feel that she should have made a different choice. This has nothing to do with whether she will end up with nicer looking breasts; what a stupid, insensitive thing to suggest.

vCash
    Maybe Snoopy was comparing Jolie to non-wealthy celebrities when she said 'lost almost nothing'. It is true that Jolie lost her breasts, which is a whole lot of something, and had to endure the ordeal of going through the surgery and recovering from it, which would the case for any woman.

There are dozens of factors that impact my opinion and lack of financial concerns is certainly one of them. The overriding factor for me, however, is the ability to make the trade-off. Would Annette Funicello have been thankful for the choice? What about Michael J. Fox? If I could trade MS or Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s, going blind, being a quadriplegic, even Rheumatoid Arthritis, for boobs that don’t jiggle – or even no boobs at all – I would do it in a heartbeat of nanosecond. And I would be exceedingly grateful that I could.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Well, it's a difference of a few months and is insignificant. Surgical menopause, OTOH, is no fun.
    Yes, my SIL and BF both had to have hysterectomies. It is no fun at all. The hormone replacement, alone, is awful. In addition, going through forced menopause, at a young age, puts you at a much higher risk for osteoporosis (especially in someone very thin).

I don't understand what AJ's wealth has to do with any of this. Can she afford it? Sure. Is knowing you have an 80%-90% chance of developing cancer terrifying? Absolutely, regardless of whether or not you can afford treatment. There is always a risk, in any surgery. Breast loss can be devastating to a woman, it is part of her identity. Add to that uterine loss. Anyone who would have to make this kind of life altering decision is going through hell. Emotionally and physically. AS I said, I know people who have gone through it, it can take years to feel normal.

But, snoopy, that is not the issue here. Are there some diseases or injuries that are worse/less curable? Yes. The 22 year old with Lynch syndrome, I mentioned up thread, is in a far worse situation. But we are talking about breast cancer, with a controversial way of prevention. How does that make what Jolie has and has done less terrifying for her or anyone else faced with it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    It's brave to make your private health issues public like this, it's brave for someone in a business where success if often tied to appearance to make this announcement, and it's brave to do it knowing she'd be criticized by many who feel that she should have made a different choice.
    I agree that going public with it is brave and WRT this issue and many others, I give Angelina big props because I appreciate that she recognizes her blessings, and I very much appreciate that she acts incredibly responsibly in light of them.
    Figure skating is hard.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

It's like people praising 'philanthropists' who are spending 0.000001% of their huge incomes on charity.
    And yet, I'm sure a lot of charities and people who need the services are glad to have it. It reminds me of a friend of mine who is so angry at people who "pad" their resumes by volunteering and taking part in public interest just so they may have a better job getting into a school or a job in the future compared to him who actually cares about these things, and yet when I asked him what has he done in terms of volunteer work or services, the answer was zilch.

I may agree with you that some of the praise might be a bit overkill, but lacking perspective goes both ways, don't you think? Some times people just think people with money simply don't suffer compared to some of us "regular" people, so they don't give them any credit for anything.

vCash
    I hope that those of you who are criticizing AJ so much, never have to experience what she is now going through.
    The response here from those who have gone through similar diagnosis' make it clear that it is a "life-altering" event, whatever the outcome.
    To say that it is less traumatic for her because she is "Angelina Jolie" is an insult.
    Everything she chooses, from this time forward, will be affected by this.

She made it very clear that she knows that she has options and resources, that most do not.
    One of the reasons she made her story public is that she wanted others to have better access to diagnosis and treatment,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Are there some diseases or injuries that are worse/less curable? Yes. The 22 year old with Lynch syndrome, I mentioned up thread, is in a far worse situation. But we are talking about breast cancer, with a controversial way of prevention. How does that make what Jolie has and has done less terrifying for her or anyone else faced with it?
    The key with Lynch and with BRCA1 and 2 (as well as other genetic conditions) is to be diagnosed early enough to be able to take preventive action (surgery/screenings) and make decisions regarding future testing and care. Often times people don't get this sort of genetic testing, and then the first they hear about it is when they already have cancer, sometimes advanced cancer. If Jolie's actions raise awareness regarding the importance of genetic testing, I am all for it. Not everyone needs to be tested, but people need to be aware whether they are at risk, and if so, the testing should be available.

vCash
    I agree. I've said it before in other threads, but comparing miseries is ridiculous. "Yeah, but AJ has money, fame, the best doctors in the world." OK. So, I suppose that makes her suffering less? Who knows. We certainly don't. I will never, ever judge anyone who has to fight a health-related battle. I have had my share, and they are far from ordinary. If I shared them here, I think you wouldn't even believe me. In any event, I'm not AJ, I don't have her money, but I am so grateful for my friends, family, my now-healthy body, and just to still be alive. I can't even begin to go down a "whoah is me" road.

Maybe AJ doesn't have the inner peace I have and has suffered a whole lot more despite her good fortune.

Who am I to judge.

O-

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    And yet, I'm sure a lot of charities and people who need the services are glad to have it. It reminds me of a friend of mine who is so angry at people who "pad" their resumes by volunteering and taking part in public interest just so they may have a better job getting into a school or a job in the future compared to him who actually cares about these things, and yet when I asked him what has he done in terms of volunteer work or services, the answer was zilch.

I may agree with you that some of the praise might be a bit overkill, but lacking perspective goes both ways, don't you think? Some times people just think people with money simply don't suffer compared to some of us "regular" people, so they don't give them any credit for anything.
    I have no career experience and barely any formal education in design and I love helping charities/non-profits, so I'm doing pro bono work to get more samples and help organizations improve their websites. It's a win/win for me, as far as I'm concerned. If someone is too lazy to get off their duff to do the same, that's their own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    The key with Lynch and with BRCA1 and 2 (as well as other genetic conditions) is to be diagnosed early enough to be able to take preventive action (surgery/screenings) and make decisions regarding future testing and care. Often times people don't get this sort of genetic testing, and then the first they hear about it is when they already have cancer, sometimes advanced cancer. If Jolie's actions raise awareness regarding the importance of genetic testing, I am all for it. Not everyone needs to be tested, but people need to be aware whether they are at risk, and if so, the testing should be available.
    Exactly. Know your family history (for adopted children, this is admittedly difficult ), and if you have risks, take ownership of them. Pretending those risks don't exist, isn't productive.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast