vCash

Angelina Jolie had a preventive double mastectomy...read her brave essay

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/op...ice.html?_r=1&

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR

My Medical Choice
    By ANGELINA JOLIE
    Published: May 14, 2013

vCash
    YIKES!!!!! She has young children so I am sure the thought of them growing up without her had something to do with her decision. Good on her and hope it works. I wish her all the best.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Strange, I read almost an identical article on the Huffington Post a few weeks ago by someone other than Angelina Jolie - not about Jolie, it was about the author.

here it is:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dana-c...b_3123993.html
    Looking for that article I was surprised by how many famous women have had this done recently - Sharon Osbourne, Kathy Bates, a recent Miss America contestant - seems like with improvements in genetic testing people can take preventative steps in improving their odds against getting cancer.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    YIKES!!!!! She has young children so I am sure the thought of them growing up without her had something to do with her decision. Good on her and hope it works. I wish her all the best.
    That seems to have been her primary consideration. Her mother died of breast cancer at the age of 56. That loss was very, very hard on Angelina. In her essay, she talks a lot about her children, and about how supportive Brad Pitt has been.

EDIT: Christina Applegate is another woman who chose a double mastectomy.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I thought Christina Applegate had cancer?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I thought Christina Applegate had cancer?
    She did, in one breast and it was early stage, but had a double mastectomy rather than a less radical approach to treatment.

She has the same breast cancer gene that Angelina has, and her mother is a breast cancer survivor.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    IIRC, it's recommended if you are positive for BRCA and have a strong family history.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    This must have been a difficult decision to make. I wish her the best.
    I'm also surprised that the media didn't find out. Good for her!

vCash
    It is brave and bad ass (in a good way) of Angelina to be proactive and public about this. And I was literally just thinking yesterday that if I could pick a celebrity to champion a personal cause it would be one of the Brangelinas. I have a caveat, however, here which I realize makes me a heel but she had reconstructive surgery from the best surgeons in the world. So that cuts down the wow factor for me.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    My sister also chose a double mastectomy in January. She developed duct carcinoma in situ at 46. Thankfully, they caught it really, really early. She preferred the double mastectomy to a lumpectomy followed by radiation and chemo. I think more women are choosing this now.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    My sister also chose a double mastectomy in January. She developed duct carcinoma in situ at 46. Thankfully, they caught it really, really early. She preferred the double mastectomy to a lumpectomy followed by radiation and chemo. I think more women are choosing this now.
    That is really radical treatment for DCIS. Of course, I totally respect your sister's wishes, so please don't misunderstand me. Did she have more than one DCIS and were they in both breasts? I had DCIS 5 years ago and had lumpectomy and radiation, which was not bad at all. If I had the breast cancer gene, I might opt for this procedure too. I do have my 5 year mammogram in about 2 hours, so wish me luck! If they find anything, I'm think a double mastectomy is not a bad way to go. No more worries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    That is really radical treatment for DCIS. Of course, I totally respect your sister's wishes, so please don't misunderstand me. Did she have more than one DCIS and were they in both breasts? I had DCIS 5 years ago and had lumpectomy and radiation, which was not bad at all. If I had the breast cancer gene, I might opt for this procedure too. I do have my 5 year mammogram in about 2 hours, so wish me luck! If they find anything, I'm think a double mastectomy is not a bad way to go. No more worries.
    She had more than one in her right breast. She also lost her mother-in-law a few months ago to cancer and watched her struggle through several rounds of chemo and radiation and she didn't want to do that. Had more time passed since her mother-in-law's death, she might have chosen differently, IMO.

Good luck on your mammogram!

vCash
    I wish her the best and hope the procedure is successful. She may have to go through oophorectomy too, which I believe is more life changing than double mastectomy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    That seems to have been her primary consideration. Her mother died of breast cancer at the age of 56. That loss was very, very hard on Angelina. In her essay, she talks a lot about her children, and about how supportive Brad Pitt has been.

EDIT: Christina Applegate is another woman who chose a double mastectomy.
    Actually, Jolie's mom died of ovarian cancer.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MINAM View Post
    This must have been a difficult decision to make. I wish her the best.
    I'm also surprised that the media didn't find out. Good for her!
    I think the fact the Jolie-Pitts do not have publicists helps them at times.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Are you kidding me ??
    The Jolie-Pitts are one of the most successfull brand managed not by one but by at least 5 known publicists

vCash
    I have always really admired Angelina Jolie for her humanitarian work and the fact that she doesn't ever seem particularly fazed by all of the ridiculous publicity surrounding her (and for many of her fantastic film roles). Even with that considered, I was blown away by her decision to write this. She really is a remarkable person.

vCash
    Even though I like Jolie's humanitarian work, I find her double mastectomy an overkill, and a not so good judgment.

I have heard of a few women doing this as a preventative measure, and I did not agree with them either (I don't personally know any of them). It is still better to just be very vigilant about the lump, and get the tests done annually. Also the double mastectomy does not guarantee that she will not get another kind of cancer in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Even though I like Jolie's humanitarian work, I find her double mastectomy an overkill, and a not so good judgment.

I have heard of a few women doing this as a preventative measure, and I did not agree with them either (I don't personally know any of them). It is still better to just be very vigilant about the lump, and get the tests done annually. Also the double mastectomy does not guarantee that she will not get another kind of cancer in the future.
    Luckily, neither Jolie nor these other women need to listen to you or your advice. Their bodies, their lives, their choices.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Luckily, neither Jolie nor these other women need to listen to you or your advice. Their bodies, their lives, their choices.
    And Angelina's choice reduced her chances of getting breast cancer from ~87% likely down to ~5%...a pretty good decision imo.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast