Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    1993 World Championships, Kurt Browning's Casablanca performance.
    I dont remember when i knew what figure skating was because neither of my parents are fans, but i do know my oldest figure skating memory is the 1988 olympics, i would have been 7 maybe 8 at the time, but elizabeth manning winning the bronze and the cowboy hat sticks out as my first memory. and then the battle of the Brains and remembering how i was so sad brain O. didnt win, but that was probably my desire for canada to win lol. At that point the most i knew about figure skating was the girls wore pretty dresses and there were cool jumps! I was probably hooked at that point, but i fell in love with figure skating as i fell in love with kurt Browning! And my favorite Amateur program was Casablanca! That was a magical program, mind you many of his programs were magic and many of his professional programs were amazing. And his Singing in the Rain tv special is my all time fav figure skating tv special, hands down!
    Last edited by browning; 05-20-2013 at 02:45 AM.

vCash
    I remember watching skating since Carol Heiss. Loved many skaters - Fleming, Hamill, Curry, Cranston, Cousins, Torvill & Dean, and more (Richard Dwyer, Rick Inglesi). For me the tipping point between enjoyment and passion? -

1990 U.S. Nationals - Paul Wylie

It was a Monday evening practice. Paul stepped on the ice. My life changed.
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 05-20-2013 at 05:03 AM.

vCash
    ^^^
    I wish I'd been there!

vCash
    Two skaters and two programs.

It started with Averbukh's "Stars on ice" TV show I've been watching just out of curiosity from time to time. One evening I was checking on YouTube some of the show videos I missed that week, and then in "relevant" videos an image caught my eye. It was Yagudin's Olympic "Overcome", that frame when he is kind of doing "push-ups" on the ice. I watched that video. And then other videos of his other programs... Funny and crazy but I can even name you the exact date when it happened, because I was so excited and overwhelmed I immediately wrote about it in my blog. It was October 19th, 2006.
    I was moaning over the fact I was late to see Yagudin competing, competitions were empty and boring for me without him, nobody could be compared to him, blahblahblah. Back then I was mostly watching some old videos and shows and wasn't interested much in competitions. I knew some names, learned some new ones, even partially watched Euros 2007, but wasn't really impressed.

And then there was another person, another program, another date, and I can name it exactly too, it was March 22nd, 2007. Worlds 2007 in Tokyo, men, long program, "Poeta"... I was forever lost. Still am.

What rejoices me the most is that Stéphane is not competing for three seasons already but figure skating, competitions are absolutely not boring without him, each season more and more skaters, personalities excite and interest me. I'm really glad that it didn't stop there and with him. In a way I even enjoy it more now when I shouldn't worry for him and can be objective to his former rivals. I do miss Stéphane, of course. But he is not gone, he has an extraordinary pro career which, of course, I follow closely. It's just a bit different world now.
    Last edited by reut; 05-22-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    T

What rejoices me the most is that Stéphane is not competing for three seasons already but figure skating, competitions are absolutely not boring without him, each season more and more skaters, personalities excite and interest me. I'm really glad that it didn't stop there and with him. In a way I even enjoy it more now when I shouldn't worry for him and can be objective to his former rivals. I do miss Stéphane, of course. But he is not gone, he has an extraordinary pro career which, of course, I follow closely. It's just a bit different world now.
    That's how I felt after the 2006 season. I think it took me a whole season of not watching skating to get over the idea of Michelle Kwan never competing again. I remember in one of my more bitter moments, I ended up watching 2007 Worlds and said I wanted Miki Ando to win just because I thought she was the least appealing skater between Mao, Yuna, and Miki. Of course, she ended up winning.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    In Australia in 1980 then, as now, skating was only ever shown on TV during the Olys. I'd never heard of figure skating, not as a pastime, not as a sport, not as performance. Not only that, I was living in a tiny isolated mining town in the far northwest, working in the front office/reception of the only hotel in town. My shift finished at 11pm and I had to be back at work at 7 the next morning. I didn't even know the Olys were happening. When I got home from work quite randomly I turned on the TV and there was this pair gliding across the ice in perfect unison. I was instantly mesmerized. I have no idea who it was. I had no idea what it was, I only knowI was hooked from that minute, didn't care what time I had to get up in the morning. Then 4 years later T&D exploded into my world. They even did a tour to Australia and I saw them live. Also in '84 I moved to Canada where skating is frequently on TV, and the rest is, as they say, is history.
    My allegiance is simple - Aussies in the summer Olys, Canucks in the winter Olys (though I'm always thrilled when Canucks do well in the summer Olys and vice versa).
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    1998 Olympics- Tara Lipinski

I casually watched 1992 (my mom used to point out Surya Bonaly; she loved her for being French, doing the biellmann spin, and her back flip in the exhibition.)

1994- watched the LP and was PEEVED when Nancy didn't win. My mom was happy, as she loved Oksana, but I wasn't!

1998- I had to do an article review, related to health, for my Health class in high school. We were allowed to sports, so I looked for a short article in the newsweek. There was a LONG one about Michelle and a short one about Tara, so being 15, of course I went with the shorter one. Upon reading, I realized that she was my age, was the under dog, had won everything the year before, but was completely discounted, and did a rare triple-triple combination which I knew nothing about, but found the diagram interesting.

Interestingly, I missed the 98 LP, but knew the result, as my mom told us in the car on the way to my brother's hockey game. I was thrilled, but never actually got to see it until later that summer, when I bought the VHS highlights of figure skating of the games.

By 1999 Nationals, I was watching and taping everything I could! Sadly, my DVD recorder doesn't work anymore, so now I just kinda rely on youtube.

vCash
    I remember watching initially when I was quite young and trying (with very mixed results) to skate myself. But I really got hooked during the Olympics and World Championships in 1988, what with the Battle of the Brians and the showdown between Witt, Thomas, and Manley. I was just coming out as gay, in Boston, in 1988; so the face that the two Brians were obviously (to all of us) gay made a big impression on me and my friends. As did the battle of the Divas in Ladies. My interest in figure skating overall stayed pretty high after that, though I've been fickle with my interest in particular disciplines.

vCash
    Liz Manley. Canadian TV went wild over her after the '88 Olympics, and that did it for me. Other perky blondes with cute butts were to follow over the years (Sokolova, Rachael Flatt), but Liz was the first.

Banned Member
    vCash
    1968 US Nationals

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The whack heard round the world got me interested and had me tuned in to 1994 Nationals but what truly hooked me was a young Michelle Kwan. I couldn't believe someone my age was kicking butt!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Same here. Baiul was my age when I first saw her program.

vCash
    I don't remember, I was very-very young girl. My mom loved to watch the figure skating, so I watched it too. I have seen compete Irina Rodnina, Diana de Leuw, Tai Babilonia-Randy Gardner, Pachomova-Gorshkov and Moiseeva/Minenkov. I was sick after the World Cup, because I knew that I won't see skating for a year. My big favorites were Katharina W., Cousins!!!Fadeev, Oxana B, Michelle K, Irina S., Lu Chen, Gordeeva / G, Krylova / O, Petrenko,Browning etc.. I adored Kulik and Yagudin. Then I saw a little blond guy in the European Championships 1998. And I fell in love, immediately. He gave me everything that I love about figure-skating. Personality, athleticism, ART, humor, perfection. These things and his devotion for the sport make him unique, and unrepeatable for me. But I do not think it's a surprise for you in this forum.
    Last edited by lala; 05-29-2013 at 12:05 PM.

vCash
    Ultimately, Anissina/Peizerat's FD at 1999 Worlds. However, my mom loved Katarina Witt, so, since I love the artistic sports, I had already watched figure skating whenever she had watched as a young child.

vCash
    1994 Olympics - Torvill and Dean's return had this country hooked; I think 20 million watched the FD (a HUGE number for the UK) I've been watching ever since

vCash
    Like others here my mom got me to sit through figure skating events (limited to the FS at Euros and Worlds on the local channel for most of my childhood), and I fell in love with Katarina Witt's skating and expressivity, even got my parents to buy me a book about her in German (which I couldn't read at the time) when I was 5 or 6, if I remember correctly

I've always loved the sport since, although there have been moments when I've followed a bit less, especially with the death of my mom as it was traditional for us to watch together through the phone even once I was an adult and moved to my own flat. In a way, it had become almost too painful to watch without her around anymore. But I never totally stopped following and some amazing skaters through the years, from all four disciplines, have always managed to remind me why I love figure skating and brought me back to the sport sooner rather than later ^-^

vCash
    1994 Olympics, but 1998 Olympics got me hooked even more!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I wonder, as a little "side-poll", how many of us didn't know about figure skating before that magic moment?
    I had skated on a pond, but probably the only figure skating I had seen before going to Ice Capades was in still pictures.

vCash
    My grandmother was in love with Toller Cranston. So my first skating memory is seeing him on black- and- white Soviet TV in 1974 or '75. I don't remember time when I was not watching skating ( and skating myself, way back then). Back then, as a young child, my idols were very Russian- centric: Rodnina, Moiseeva/Minenkov, Igor Bobrin.
    Last edited by dinakt; 06-01-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I remember watching Dorothy's TV specials and even saw her live in Ice Capades. But it was watching Linda Fratianne competing at Lake Placid that really got me hooked to figure skating. I must say though that when I watch old videos of Linda now, I just don't see what was so special about her skating back then.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast