Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Thank you . I don't know what came over me last night when I was writing that. Now I am quite horrified by the length of that post .
    Don't be...it was quite a nice essay.

vCash
    We watched a lot of skating as a family when I was a kid and my parents always pointed out Michelle Kwan as an excellent role model. Of course, when that led to me wanting to take skating lessons, they said no (go figure - and no pun intended). In 1998 our fourth grade class required us to make a scrapbook of the Olympics and I, being a huge fan of Michelle's, made most of my scrapbook about skating with a focus on my favorite. I got a B - - (two minuses!) because the teacher complained that there wasn't enough Tara in it

After that I forgot about skating for awhile - if the internet had been a bigger influence I would have discovered places like FSU and MKF and SashaFans, but it wasn't until 2002 that I watched Sasha Cohen at Salt Lake and got sucked back in. Been here ever since.

vCash
    Ladies lp at Lillehammer 1994, Oksana Baiul. Living in Holland, I knew nothing about figure skating. I had seen something on German channels we receive here without knowing exactly what it was though. We saw the opening of the Olympics. And of course they kept giving news about the Kerrigan/Harding drama. But it was watching the ladies lp and specifically Baiul that made me a figure skating fan. Then the gala when not only Baiul was a swan, but G&G had that lovely performance, that was the first time I really noticed pairs skating. These were the first skaters I became a fan of while knowing nothing about the sport. In these days, I didn't like ice dance as much as ladies or pairs skating and men seemed a bit more boring than ladies skating to me. Yet I watched all disciplines, including the cd's because we had no other skating on tv at all, except what Eurosport showed. And by watching everything, I began understanding it all better and appreciating men's skating and ice dance too. We had NBC channel here in those days too though and one day as I was going through different channels, I discovered a pro figure skating competition and another time Baiul, Petrenko and Boitano skating to Nutcracker on ice, sometimes the German channels showed something, but other than that, it was just what Eurosport showed.

Figure skating was also the sport which made me like musicals from our era. Before watching figure skating, I only knew the old Hollywood musicals, and I didn't even know all of those. I rediscovered a few I had once watched, such as 'West Side Story' and 'The sound of music' and began discovering more musicals which were new for me, especially those composed after the 60s, such as 'Miss Saigon', 'Cats', 'Phantom of the Opera'. It opened a whole new world for me, an exciting world with much to discover. I loved it. Figure skating also made me like opera and classical and baroque music. It did many amazing things for me and I didn't even skate, I just watched figure skating and just watching alone made my life lovelier, better, more exciting. It's great anticipating competitions and new programs or rivalries, discovering a new piece of music I like enough to buy or nowadays download or discovering someone doing a new choreography to overdone music. For a while I became a bit bored with some disciplines, but then it always became interesting again. New styles, or new competitors, or something else happened which brought the excitement back. Yet, nothing from competitions nowadays seems to really give the excitement of '90s skating for me, I don't exactly know why, because some of my favourite programs have also been skated in recent years and even this past season.

vCash
    It started for me with 1988 Olympics.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Seeing the Ice Capades live got me hooked. The speed, the control, the lights, costumes, beauty and daring of it all made me want to jump on the ice and do it. The year was probably 1964 and the headliners were Ann Margaret Frei, Aja Zanova, and the Jellineks.

I started taking lessons soon after, and to this day televised skating pales in comparison to live skating for me.

vCash
    Who was Ann Margaret Frei?

vCash

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I caught figure skating randomly on Wide World of Sports in the early '60's and was hooked. The first skaters I followed in any way were Peggy Fleming, the Protopopovs, and my only figure skating crush, John Misha Petkevich.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Robin Cousins, 1980 Olympics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I caught figure skating randomly on Wide World of Sports in the early '60's and was hooked. The first skaters I followed in any way were Peggy Fleming, the Protopopovs, and my only figure skating crush, John Misha Petkevich.
    I haven't thought about him in DECADES! He was good-looking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    TheAccordion, you were so fortunate to watch Toller compete on Canadian TV; and to see him skate, live.
    I never had the pleasure; although I have collected many of his competitions/performances since.
    Yeah I was! I have very fond memories of that television coverage. I think now I was lucky to have only 2 channels at the time and shows like Mr. Dressup, The Friendly Giant, The Beachcombers, Spiderman and skating coverage as my intro to TV!

On another note - having just seen Stars On Ice I was once again taken with how much Shawn Sawyer still reminds me of Toller in many ways.

On another note - I am loving this thread!

On a last note - I am feeling REALLY old with some of you talking about your early childhood skating viewing experiences! Babies!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    What first got me hooked to ice skating . . .

Televised Event: 1994 Olympics LP of the men and ladies; all the drama encircling Tonya, Nancy, and Oksana as well as the return of all the pro skaters to Olympic eligible competition: Boitano, Petrenko, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, Torvill/Dean, and Witt.

Skater(s):
    Nicole Bobek - she was so beautiful, fun, and charismatic; she just drew me in to everything she did; she had "IT" in spades!
    Brian Boitano - he had such a commanding presence over the ice with big jumps, strong skating skills, and a big butt that definitely caught my eye.
    Paul Wylie - he had such spectacular artistry and musicality with wonderful tension and emotion; his "Henry V", "Carmina Burana", "JFK", "Bring Him Home", and "Schindler's List" are such iconic skating masterpieces that I truly love!
    Gordeeva/Grinkov - they presented such beautiful pictures on the ice and were such an attractive couple. I definitely had a crush on him and was crushed when he passed away. He was the romantic hero of the ice who took such great care of his partner; I think part of me wanted to be Katia just to experience the love that Sergei had for her.

vCash
    1993 World Championships, Kurt Browning's Casablanca performance.

vCash
    2006 Olympics... Emily Hughes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    Who was Ann Margaret Frei?
    All these years I thought she was Ann Margaret, her name is Ann Margreth. She competed at the 1964 Olympics but she made her mark as a show skater.

http://www.skatestyle.com/about.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    All these years I thought she was Ann Margaret, her name is Ann Margreth. She competed at the 1964 Olympics but she made her mark as a show skater.

http://www.skatestyle.com/about.html
    I never heard about her before, not that I can remember anyway. Thank you for the info. The website says she was in shows for over 16 years, perhaps there is footage of her skating somewhere. I'm curious now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    I never heard about her before, not that I can remember anyway. Thank you for the info. The website says she was in shows for over 16 years, perhaps there is footage of her skating somewhere. I'm curious now.
    There were a number of fabulous show skaters who trained specifically for shows or who did not make it big in the competitive world. I don't know how you would find footage unless someone did a documentary somewhere. Perhaps in that new film "The Fabulous Ice Age"? No one had VCRs in those days even if it happened to be televised.

I've always wanted to see Sarah Kawahara's Ice Capades performances after seeing her in Strawberry Ice, and she was around in VHS era.

vCash
    You never know what people might have at home. I'm still amazed about the footage which was filmed by people with old fashioned cameras, meant for private use. Who knows perhaps one day something shows up.

vCash
    Originally Posted by kwanfan1818
    I caught figure skating randomly on Wide World of Sports in the early '60's and was hooked. The first skaters I followed in any way were... my only figure skating crush, John Misha Petkevich.
    To remind you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vlMoMnLZk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmVr4tszems

and, with thanks to floskate:'

John Misha Petkevich - Renaissance Man
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwUfx-fLg1s

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Many thanks for the links!

If you have to fall on your butt at the Olympics, doing it just in time to the big cymbal crash is the way to go.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast