Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The 1994 Olympics when I was a wheee little 7 year old siouxdonym. It was a life altering moment in my life as I'd never seen such a fascinating, colorful, and musical event on TV before. Since then, I've been hooked. I distinctly remember Yuka Sato (fast ), Oksana Baiul (the camille!), and Kurt Browning being my favorites. (great taste, even then ). I remember thinking Surya was exciting, Chen was dramatic, Tanja S. was , and Josee just plain sucked. Kerrigan was okay but I thought she looked like my second grade teacher aid and was therefore a bitch. It's amazing how my memories of the event stacked up against watching them on youtube over ten years later... It also took me about 12 years to understand why it was called "figure skating"

What nearly killed my love for the sport was Plushenko at the 2010 Winter Games. and the dismal showing in ladies the following two seasons.

vCash
    I almost don't dare to write in this thread, since I've been really hooked only during the last few years. Actually, I started watching some skating somewhere around the end of 80s, or the beginning of 90s when I was still a child, but then I was not interested in a particular skater, or a particular event - I was more interested in the performance side of it and in the pretty dresses . And, for a long time, I watched only sporadically. Then, starting from somewhere around 2000, I didn't have TV for some five years, so I didn't watch any skating at all. It seems that 2005 Europeans were the first competition that I watched after we bought a TV again. But the only skaters whom I really remember from that time are Plushenko, Lambiel and Joubert - I liked their rivalry. I watched Europeans, Worlds, then the Olympics, all disciplines, but I still was not paying much attention to anyone in particular. Although I was really impressed by Plushenko at 2006 Olympics - but now I watch that program and performance, and I can't understand what it was that I saw in it then.

I somehow missed Lambiel's 'Poeta' at the 2007 Worlds, but when I saw it at 2008 Europeans, that performance (and also the other one of 'Carne Cruda' despite the mistakes) got me hooked on him. But, yes, that was it - Lambiel got me hooked on him, but not so much on skating and competitions in general. Not in the way that I am hooked now. Of course, Lambiel retiring from competitions meant that I had to follow his skating in shows, but he could not be the reason to follow competitions more zealously. But then there were 2010 Olympics, and Lambiel's brief return. And the rivalry between Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, as well as the presumed rivalry of Yuna Kim and Mao Asada. If I have to speak of particular skaters, Virtue/Moir and Davis/White are the ones who got me interested in competitions more than anyone else. 2010 was the first year when I started following some Grand Prix competitions on internet, but only a little. Of course, Virtue/Moir were not there.

Parallelly I was watching a lot of show performances, as I was following Lambiel's skating in shows, and then I started watching other skater's performances from the shows that he was in. And now I a also watch videos from shows that he is not in (like 'Stars on Ice', for example).

Then I became a member of 'FSUniverse', and the discussions that I was reading here finally got me even more interested in the competitive side of skating - in 2011 I really felt the desire to watch all the GP events on TV for the first time. And, of course, I did.

When I read more about older skaters (also mostly on 'FSUniverse ), it of course got me more interested in them as well, and made me watch a lot of their performances (both competitive ones, and from shows). Not that I hadn't watched older skaters before - I had seen many of them on TV, and also watched some YouTube videos later. But I had forgotten most of those performances that I had seen on TV, as I was not able to fully appreciate them then. Also, we didn't get to see any professional competitions or shows on TV here in Latvia. So, all the possibilities that internet (namely, YouTube) gave me was another thing that got me hooked on older skaters, and on show skating.

What keeps me interested now is the competitive aspect of all disciplines, then, first of all, ice dancing and the competition and movement between most of the ice dancing teams. Also, all the ladies - the "old" ones (in particular, Kostner, Kim, Asada, Suzuki), and the new ones, and the current and possible future rivalry of those new ladies. Of course, also some male skaters - Takahashi, Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, Ten, and probably some others. Also what Savchenko/Szolkowy and Voloshozar/Trankov are doing (in terms of overall rivalry, and in terms of programs, in the case of Savchenko/Szolkowy).

vCash
    Tara Lipinski at her first Worlds.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    What an interesting..and complete story, lauravvv!

vCash
    I wonder, as a little "side-poll", how many of us didn't know about figure skating before that magic moment?

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Dorothy Hamill at the 1976 Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x83NDU5BnM
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    This thread is bringing back a lot of skating memories for me. I always loved the Lithuanian dance team of Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas. They were such an appealing pair.

vCash
    ~ 1972 I remember the Janet Lynn discussion and watching her free skate, watched a bit off and on until 1976 Dorothy Hamill (yes, I had THE haircut) I became a part time fan, whatever the "Wide World of Sports" would show. 1998 started going to events.

vCash
    I do remember the whole Nancy and Tonya saga. I was in fourth grade and my aunt owned a grocery store, and I used to come keep my cousin company while at work. At the store, she'd sell tabloids and trashy magazines and Tonya/Nancy were on every front cover. When the event finally happened, I remember laughing with my classmates about the whole Tonya crying about her skate laces incident. I also remember being catty even back then because my cousins and I were all talking about the judges only gave the gold medal to Oksana Baiul because she was an orphan and looked and acted poor.

I like to think I matured somewhat then, but at the same time, a little part of me thinks that some of the judges did fall for the narrative.

vCash
    We always watched figure skating during the Olympics, starting in 1968, but I didn't get totally hooked on the sport until 1988 with the Battle of the Brians & Midori Ito. Now we watch just about everything in fs - eligible & pro, and have been fortunate to attend some US Nationals, Skate Americas, local comps & shows when they are in our area.

vCash
    1996 WC. Specifically Kwans SP.

vCash
    It all started with Yagudin and Lawrence of Arabia for me! I was a huge, huge fan of his skating and he made me watch other disciplines too, but my main interested remained the men's competition. The Yagudin-Plushenko rivalry was so intesnse and I remember being nervous days before the big competitions even started.

After he retired I thought I would never root as hard for any skater ever again. And then I saw Carolina Kostner compete at the 2003 Europeans, pulling off 3f3t, 3lz3t and 2a3sal in one program and I have been a fan ever since. Once she retires, I hope there will be yet another skater who will take her and Alexei's place.

vCash
    Kurt Browning, G&G, Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwan. Then a long long gap not watching any figure skating on t.v. Only quite recently after watching some old you-tubes on figure skating that I chanced upon Chan and his Exilados Hooked to live streaming and FSU thereafter.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    It all started with Yagudin and Lawrence of Arabia for me! I was a huge, huge fan of his skating and he made me watch other disciplines too, but my main interested remained the men's competition. The Yagudin-Plushenko rivalry was so intesnse and I remember being nervous days before the big competitions even started.

After he retired I thought I would never root as hard for any skater ever again. And then I saw Carolina Kostner compete at the 2003 Europeans, pulling off 3f3t, 3lz3t and 2a3sal in one program and I have been a fan ever since. Once she retires, I hope there will be yet another skater who will take her and Alexei's place.
    I started out as a fan of Yagudin's skating too, and looked for new skaters to follow when he retired - in my case, I ended up with Joubert and Kostner, who impressed me at 2002 and 2003 Euros, respectively, later adding S/S and P/B so that all four disciplines were represented By now I've been following my favorites much longer than I ever did Yagudin, and I suspect that they will not be replaceable for me; I'll still watch skating, but it won't be the same.

vCash
    As a kid, when I started watching FS, I was stunned by the pairs performances of Rodnina/Zaitzew. I found her so charismatic. Toller Cranston caught my eye a little later, with his professional performances. Then, after having taken a long break from FS, I came to watch the '92 Olympics with the Duchesnays at their last competition. They made me go back to skating after 10 years myself. I love them more than any other skater ever before and after.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I had always watched the Olympics and had admired Torvill and dean, but I only became an avid fan like many others upthread when Alexei skated his Lawrence of Arabia program. I had been at a bicycle race with my husband and his friends and we all came back to my house for snacks. I turned on the TV and there was a Grand Prix event. I started watching as the others trudged in and were talking and eating-but I was focused! L of A is one of my all time favorite movies, and I adore the music. I also have studied TE Lawrence and own a first public printing of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, so I was totally enchanted at a combination of something I loved and skating, which I also admired. But Alexei had something special...he drew me in. He skated in the music, not to it.

Then a very young Plushenko came on the ice and did those Beilmans....and I thought he was pretty super too. But he looked so young! So, one of our friends came and sat down next to me and asked what I was watching. I was feeling kind of silly, and I said, "Look at that blonde kid...he's only 14!!" Well, I was teasing because I knew he was young, but I didn't know he was that young, I was trying to pull my friend's leg. So the announcer immediately comes on and says, "Evgeny Plushenko is only 14 years old...." I almost dropped my drink. At least, that's the way I remember it. I could be technically wrong, but.....

I immediately began watching everything figure skating I possibly could, especially if Alexei was involved. I am very grateful that I did.

vCash
    TheAccordion, you were so fortunate to watch Toller compete on Canadian TV; and to see him skate, live.
    I never had the pleasure; although I have collected many of his competitions/performances since.

vCash
    I was watching a ski event on TV from Albertville, they were interspersing figure skating exhibitions, and I saw Artur Dmitriev pitching the broad.

vCash
    I used to follow pro skating on and off in the 90s because of Kristi Yamaguchi, but it was Michelle Kwan's sp at 2001 US Nationals that got me hooked big time. By the the time she hit the layback position I was a true convert. :}

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    What an interesting..and complete story, lauravvv!
    Thank you . I don't know what came over me last night when I was writing that. Now I am quite horrified by the length of that post .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast