Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Toller, for me, is the greatest creative force; and innovator of all.
    If I wasn't already "hooked", I certainly was, after seeing him for the first time in 1973.

He pioneered the modernity and freedom that all skaters take for granted now.
    I believe that he blazed the trail; and often "took the heat" with the judges, so that John Curry could have the artistic freedom to accomplish what he did.
    Never mind the shows, and groundbreaking television specials he did as a professional.

IIRC, in an interview, Robin Cousins once said that people would never know what Toller had done/made possible for him.

I will always be grateful to Torvill and Dean for showing me that "perfection" in skating was possible!
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 05-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Toller Cranston.
    I grew up in a very religious, conservative, narrow-minded environment, so Toller's flamboyance was even more appealing to my fledgling non-conformist rebellion.
    I haven't thought about him in some time! I always enjoyed his skating performances...he really stood out as an original in his day.

vCash
    delete double post.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen, 2006 Olympics.

vCash
    For me it was Michelle Kwan's 1996 worlds performance. I saw it on TV as a young kid on ESPN Classic Figure Skating

vCash
    I've been watching since the 1976 Olympics and Dorothy Hamill's win. I became intoxicated with the sport as a young girl, and have maintained interest throughout my life. There are so many wonderful memories that I would have trouble listing them here. If I just think back quickly, I have to remember Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Battle of the Brians, Katarina Witt and all the intrigue, Kristi Yamaguchi (pairs and single), Gordeeva & Grinkov, the whack, Oksana Baiul's meteoric rise, Russian costuming, Torvill & Dean, Usova & Zhulin, Irina Rodnina (in all her various incarnations), Denise Biellman, Nicole Bobek, Rudy Galindo, Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipiniski, Maria Butyrskaya ... so many memories ... too many to write

O-

vCash
    1988 Olympics: Gordeeva-Grinkov

and a few days later- Midori Ito

vCash
    Thanks, OliviaPug, for reminding me of Rudy Galindo...it was a joyous and unexpected moment of redemption when he won the national championship in his hometown!

vCash
    The 1994 Lillehammer Olympics. It immediately turned into a lifelong love, and I was on the ice not long after that.

vCash
    At the seventies, everything they show in Finnish tv, but especially Rodnina-Zaitsev.
    After the pause with tv, in 1990 and so far, Eurosport with Simon and Chris, then Viktor Petrenko and the rise of our Finns Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko. I got hooked again, and the rest is... well, a lovely infatuation!

vCash
    For me, I think it was Yagudin with his Lawrence of Arabia program in 99. That was the first time I saw figure skating in my life, didn't know it existed. I became instantly engaged to Anissina/peizerat and Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze.
    It's been non-stop since then and actually my fandom and interest grow every year even more

vCash
    Kristi Yamaguchi. 1992.

vCash
    Originally it was Christopher Bowman, then I lost interest until I saw Johnny Weir skate and fell in love with the sport all over again.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan 1996 Worlds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    At the seventies, everything they show in Finnish tv,
    And the man behind all this was Seppo Kannas ! He was no expert but really loved the sport. When working alone on YLE (1964-1993) he had the magic touch of creating the right kind of mood for all the competitions. Thinking of the macho sports media, I doubt they would have showed so much of figure skating (and gymnastcs, he even was a rhythmic gymnastics sportscaster!) without him. After retiring from YLE his Eurosport efforts were not in the same league: I think the co-commentator was a distraction...
    Last edited by matti; 05-14-2013 at 09:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    At the seventies, everything they show in Finnish tv, but especially Rodnina-Zaitsev.
    After the pause with tv, in 1990 and so far, Eurosport with Simon and Chris, then Viktor Petrenko and the rise of our Finns Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko. I got hooked again, and the rest is... well, a lovely infatuation!
    I always liked Rahkamo & Kokko...they were so unique, so avant garde!

vCash
    I watched it off and on until the 1998 Olympics, but after the 1998 Olympics I became a huge fan. The highlights for me were Elvis Stojko's performance while skating with the groin injury, the top four dance performances (especially B&K's Riverdance), and the Michelle/Tara showdown. I think it was Michelle/Tara that really hooked me.

vCash
    For me it was the '88 Olympics from Gordeeva/Grinkov, the Duchesnays amazing 'Savage Rite' FD, to the Battle of the Brians, to the Battle of the Carmens and Midori Ito. I also remember I liked the late Kira Ivanova's dresses and her avant garde style.

vCash
    I had watched figure skatings on/off for years, and didn't know the difference between professional skating and amateur skating, I just knew that I liked it. However, I remember one Friday night and saw on the TV Guide channel or whatever that the ladies event was on at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. I was thirteen years-old, and fell in love with Michelle Kwan.

I hadn't been the same since.

vCash
    Another Toller Cranston here!

It was the 70s and I was about 3 or 4 and my Mom was a huge fan!

We loved watching his split jumps that were higher than the boards and to me what he did looked like magic! Also I have such incredibly fond memories of the CTV team - Johnny Esaw and Otto Jellinek and Debbie Wilkes!

Toller was also the first skater I saw live a few years later when his show came to Halifax - where I was living at the time. Even more magical in person!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast