Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Which skater or what (televised) event got you hooked?

For me, it was Skate Canada 1980 and Elaine Zayak. I was astounded by her performance. She landed 5 double axels and six triple jumps in her free skate. I had never seen anything like it.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    I followed it for a couple of years after the Kerrigan-Harding spectacle, then mostly forgot about it until the 2006 Winter Olympics, when I was extremely impressed by the performances of Sasha Cohen and Shizuka Arakawa. I seem to have made up for most of the lost time.

YEAH!
    vCash
    94 and 98 Olympics

vCash
    I'm sure I have told this story a dozen times already, but Evgeni Plushenko's free skate at Vancouver completely enchanted me.

vCash
    1999 Euros; I'd watched on and off for years, but for whatever reason that was the one that got me hooked. I don't remember any specific performances from it, though.

vCash
    I haven't missed any competition since 1992 Olympics in Albertville, where Kristi Yamaguchi, Petr Barna, Paul Wylie and Klimova&Ponomarenko enchanted me.
    But my favorite competition was 1996 Worlds, with Michelle Kwan and Lu Chen. That is the competition where I definitely fell in love with Michelle.

vCash
    I go way back to 1968 in Grenoble, France when Peggy Fleming mesmerized me. Then John Curry & Dorothy Hamill solidified my new found love in 1976 for me.

vCash
    Since the early days of Peggy Fleming, and later Dorothy Hamill, I've enjoyed watching figure skating on TV. My interest level peaked during the Battle of the Brians at the Calgary Olympics in 1988. For several years after that I attended many live figure skating shows like the Champions tours and Brian Boitano's shows (it helped that I was living in San Francisco at the time...late 80s-early 90s). And I always loved Paul Wylie...sooooo happy for him at Albertville! I also really enjoyed John Curry and Robin Cousins.

In pairs I'll always remember the Protopopovs, the Carruthers, Tai & Randy, Gordeeva & Grinkov.

After that period I enjoyed following the career of Michelle Kwan. For the past few years my interest has been a bit more casual. Certainly the Vancouver Olympics helped spark my interest-level again.

More recently I been captivated by the rapid rise of Max Aaron. I love the speed, power and excitement he brings to the sport! I also like Jeremy, Adam, Joshua...don't know as much about some of the younger up-and-coming skaters.

On the U.S. female side, Ashley is very solid, and it's going to be interesting to watch the growth of Gracie. I also like Christina and Agnes.

Internationally, I like Fernandez, Ten...and the Japanese skaters, male and female, are always fascinating and exciting. I enjoy Chan when he's on...which hasn't been too often lately.

EDIT: Yikes, can't believe I forgot to mention Torvill and Dean!
    Last edited by dardar1126; 05-13-2013 at 06:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'm sure I have told this story a dozen times already, but Evgeni Plushenko's free skate at Vancouver completely enchanted me.
    hear hear! I had never watched skating in my life before seeing the Vancouver Olympics and Plushenko mesmerized me totally (note fsu join date!). In the ensuing couple of years I have watched every program available on the web, seen him twice in shows and still hope to see a competition before he withdraws if he manages to compete next season. In the meantime, I also discovered other fascinating skaters as well.

Vacant
    vCash
    Definitely Mack & Mabel at the 1981 St Ivel and then again at the British Ice Dance championships (which used to be televised!!!) and I followed T&D religiously through until 1984. On the back of them, John Curry & Robin Cousins, we actually got a fair bit of skating in those days on both channels. If only I'd had a VCR back then. I sort of dipped in and out after T&D retired for the next quad; I watched the TV broadcasts (much fewer once UKTV realised there wasn't going to be another Curry/Cousins/T&D) but I wasn't really invested in anyone. It was Calgary that absolutely drew me back in and from then I was obsessed, although that has waned a lot in recent years.

vCash
    I first became a figure skating fan after watching Dorothy Hamill win Olympic gold. I stayed a fan until shortly after the Tonya-Nancy debacle when television was flooded with many skating shows that were low quality productions with poorly skated performances.

I rediscovered my love of figure skating after watching Evan Lysacek perform his long program at the 2006 Olympics. I have been a huge fan of Lysacek and figure skating since then. Luckily I have been able to watch twenty live performances by Lysacek...and he never disappoints...100% committed to each performance & very consistent (only one fall during 20 performances)

vCash
    I watched every Olympics starting with Oksana but it was Sasha in 2002 who made me a frequent flier. I never saw anything so exquisite.

ETA: How could I forget? Alexei Yagudin at the same Olympics.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 05-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    I skated for a couple years as a kid, so I also followed the sport on TV at the time.

I would say that Tonya Harding at 1991 Skate America, and the Duchesnays at the 1992 Olympics, are what got me from occasionally watching on TV in Olympic years to fascinated and ultimately obsessed.

vCash
    Initially it was The Whack that brought me in. Then a month or so later I watched Surya rip off her medal while on the podium and I was hooked.

vCash
    I've been watching since CBS did the first televised coverage in the US, of the 1960 Olympics.
    I was six.

I doubt that most of you realize how little skating was shown on network TV, until the "boom" of the 1990'a
    Perhaps two to four hours per year, except for the Olympics.

vCash
    I was flipping through the channels one day and happened upon Davis and White skating their FD at 09 Worlds.
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Toller Cranston.
    I grew up in a very religious, conservative, narrow-minded environment, so Toller's flamboyance was even more appealing to my fledgling non-conformist rebellion.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen at the 2006 Olympics.

vCash
    1997 Chrysler Dreams on Ice on TV - fell in love with Bechke and Petrov and started following the sport (eligible and pro) closely from then on.

vCash
    Tara Lipinski at Worlds when she won... a year before she went to the 1998 Olympics.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast