Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Adobe Cloud??????

Any other graphics people here who understand what the heck Adobe is doing? I have CS5.1. It is seeming like I will not be able to use my software without paying a monthly fee. Is that correct? Or, is the fee for some access that I may or may not need?

vCash
    Adobe has just rocketed to the top of companies with the most stupid management ever. I can't believe the level of greed with this. You'll still be able to use the software you have, with CS6 being the last you can buy. Everything after that is by subscription only. Right now it's $50 a month for full access (I think a single application is $20), but you know they're eventually going to raise that. The way it works is that you'll have to connect to the Internet once a month or so for the "subscription software" to continue working, although you don't have to be online to use it.

For the time being, your old software will work just fine, but you won't get updates and eventually there might be a problem with future operating systems.

I used CS2 to build a 350-page website in the days of GoLive. When they dumped that, I bought CS4 and rebuilt the whole thing in Dreamweaver. I still use Photoshop CS2 though.
    Last edited by Oreo; 05-10-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Yeah instead of CS7, they made Creative Cloud. I also have CS5.1 and will be keeping it as long as possible. The last version I had was CS2, so I'm a long holdout as well. We will still be able to use our stuff, but if we want to open files made with CC, we'll need to get it too. You still download the applications you want to use, but every month or so, you need an internet connection to "check in" with the service and make your payment.

Supposedly, it comes out to be the same price, IF you're used to getting every upgrade that comes out. Obviously, that does not pertain to me, but it pertains to a lot of cutting-edge professionals. There's a smaller barrier of entry, since $50/month is much cheaper than $1K at once. (Although I was a student, and I was able to get the Web CS5.1 package for less than $100 last year...)

BUT, I have read discussions about whether Adobe might take advantage of their monopoly and start jacking up prices. $50/month might seem fairly reasonable, but once they've locked everybody in, they might raise the price to $100/month and no-one will have a choice except to go along. Although that kind of move would obviously entice competition, since the market would be ripe.

So....I guess that's why I'm waiting, to see how this pans out in the next year.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I really hope this backfires on them. I use Lightroom, but I wouldn't subscribe to Photoshop for $20/month I have enough freaking monthly bills as is. I think they just rang the dinner bell for some serious competition to step into the game. At least I hope they did.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I read, somewhere, that there would be a pro-rated monthly fee for CS5 and below. I'm not sure what that access is, though. I looked at the licensing agreement, but, who can make sense of that?

Maybe this is shedding some light onto why Apple doesn't support Flash. They had/have issues with Adobe. This may be the reason.

And, where do they get off calling their new product Cloud? Are they deliberately latching onto Apple's iCloud?

Pantone and copywritten type fonts should pull their products from Adobe. This effects them.
    Last edited by cruisin; 05-10-2013 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I really hope this backfires on them. I use Lightroom, but I wouldn't subscribe to Photoshop for $20/month I have enough freaking monthly bills as is. I think they just rang the dinner bell for some serious competition to step into the game. At least I hope they did.
    I think so too. People are willing to pay for good tools and good services, but they don't like to be locked in like this. We still want choices.

Adobe has quite a head start, but I think the opening in the marketplace (so to say) will fast-track development for similar and lower-priced options.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I read, somewhere, that there would be a pro-rated monthly fee for CS5 and below. I'm not sure what that access is, though. I looked at the licensing agreement, but, who can make sense of that?

Maybe this is shedding some light onto why Apple doesn't support Flash. They had/have issues with Adobe. This may be the reason.

And, where do they get off calling their new product Cloud? Are they deliberately latching onto Apple's iCloud?

Pantone and copywritten type fonts should pull their products from Adobe. This effects them.
    The pro-rated fee is if you're upgrading to Creative Cloud FROM a newer Adobe product. On the webpage, it's CS3 and above. Then we pay $30/month.

If you never switch, they can't make you. If I haven't signed up onto Cloud, they can't go and charge my credit card monthly because I bought something from them before. I'm sure that's illegal.

Flash was always very instable and bloated, so I'm not sure if Apple hates Adobe itself all that much. 99% of graphic designers I know use Apple computers WITH Adobe, so I'm sure they get along fine in general.

vCash
    LOL, I am a graphic designer and I use Mac and Adobe. So, I prove your point.

What I read, though, was that the software could stop working without cloud access. That would force people to join.

vCash

What I read, though, was that the software could stop working without cloud access. That would force people to join.
    No, your version of CS5 will not stop working without cloud access.

However, Adobe has announced they will stop supporting CS5. So if you upgrade OS X or get a new computer, CS5 may not work on the new system. There will be no new features to old versions of Create Suite, only to Creative Cloud.

vCash

From what I read, they give you a 3-month grace period if you miss a payment. But then again, that's if you sign up to the cloud to begin with. I already have CS5 on my computer and it works and they can't make it stop working remotely so...I'm safe as long as I don't upgrade and/or my clients don't have files made in CC.

It actually says in the FAQ: "Your existing Creative Suite installation will not be affected by installing the new CC applications. For example, you can install and use both Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC on the same computer."

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Now I'm kinda glad I use Aperture for my photos...
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    The way this is going I'll probably be using Lightroom 4 till I go the way of the dodo bird.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Not touching that with a ten-foot pole, or a three-foot czech.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    No, your version of CS5 will not stop working without cloud access.

However, Adobe has announced they will stop supporting CS5. So if you upgrade OS X or get a new computer, CS5 may not work on the new system. There will be no new features to old versions of Create Suite, only to Creative Cloud.
    My OS is 10.7.5, so I don't plan on getting a new desk top any time soon. I do keep on top of OS upgrades. Does anyone know if the OS upgrades can effect how the Adobe CS will run? Can system updates change compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I already have CS5 on my computer and it works and they can't make it stop working remotely so...
    Actually, as an FYI, (not relative to this issue) they can stop usage remotely. You are only allowed 1 installation of the software. 2 if you have more than one computer at your location. I know people who have installed an Adobe CS on their home computer and then their work computer. If both computers are using the Adobe CS at the same time (from different internet addresses) one will get bumped and possibly inactivated. I actually called Adobe a few years ago, because I was working at home, but there was a computer at one of my clients that I installed it on, because I worked part time on site. They told me it would be okay, unless someone used it in that office while I was using mine at home. They explained the above.

vCash
    My OS is 10.7.5, so I don't plan on getting a new desk top any time soon. I do keep on top of OS upgrades. Does anyone know if the OS upgrades can effect how the Adobe CS will run? Can system updates change compatibility?
    I highly doubt Mac OS system updates would affect how Adobe CS would run, especially if they believe many people are still using the older version.

Actually, as an FYI, (not relative to this issue) they can stop usage remotely. You are only allowed 1 installation of the software. 2 if you have more than one computer at your location. I know people who have installed an Adobe CS on their home computer and then their work computer. If both computers are using the Adobe CS at the same time (from different internet addresses) one will get bumped and possibly inactivated. I actually called Adobe a few years ago, because I was working at home, but there was a computer at one of my clients that I installed it on, because I worked part time on site. They told me it would be okay, unless someone used it in that office while I was using mine at home. They explained the above.
    Skynet!

Can they tell even if one of the computers are offline?

vCash
    I highly doubt Mac OS system updates would affect how Adobe CS would run, especially if they believe many people are still using the older version.

Skynet!

Can they tell even if one of the computers are offline?
    You would think not, but I honestly don't know. I do know people who have had it happen to them. I don't think I am ever off line when I'm using my computer. Safari is always active, unless I turn it off.

vCash
    You would think not, but I honestly don't know. I do know people who have had it happen to them. I don't think I am ever off line when I'm using my computer. Safari is always active, unless I turn it off.
    I only use a laptop, so when I'm working, there are times I don't have access to wifi. Usually, I even avoid using a browser when I'm using Adobe products, because it slows it down. It's actually pretty good procrastination prevention too.

Yeah, I'm reading that you need an internet connection open while you use the software, for Adobe to collect that information from you.

vCash
    I don't think they'd have further supported CS5 regardless had a "regular" CS7 come along, right? Companies always want you to upgrade...

The new Cloud system actually works out cheaper for those who use several of the programs (the full suite is way expensive) or upgrade all the time. Unfortunately a lot of users don't fall in either category which sucks.

If you have a Mac and only use Photoshop casually, Pixelmator and Acorn are two way cheaper programs available as alternative. Not sure what a good Windows equivalent would be unfortunately.

vCash
    I use Photoshop casually. But, I use Illustrator a lot. The back and forth between the two is seamless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I don't think they'd have further supported CS5 regardless had a "regular" CS7 come along, right? Companies always want you to upgrade...

The new Cloud system actually works out cheaper for those who use several of the programs (the full suite is way expensive) or upgrade all the time. Unfortunately a lot of users don't fall in either category which sucks.

If you have a Mac and only use Photoshop casually, Pixelmator and Acorn are two way cheaper programs available as alternative. Not sure what a good Windows equivalent would be unfortunately.
    GIMP is cross-platform, but it's frustrating to use if you're used to using Photoshop. Everything works differently!

I used CS2 until my computer died and I switched to a Mac and could no longer use it anyway (I had a PC before). The upgrades don't matter much to me as long as they don't take away features. I might do things a tiny bit slower due to lack of fancy features, but it's still just a tool. The real bottleneck is always the ability of the people who use it.

vCash
    The real bottleneck is always the ability of the people who use it.
    Yes, yes, and yes! No matter how much I learn to do with it, I have so much more to learn. Illustrator is my real need, though. I do almost everything in Illustrator. From drawing to layout. HATE InDesign! Almost as much as I hated Quark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast