View Poll Results: What was the most difficult Long Program Ever executed by a Ladies Singles Skater

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mao Asada 2007-2008 GPF

22 31.88%
  • Elaine Zayak 1980 Skate Canada

1 1.45%
  • Midori Ito 1989 Worlds

30 43.48%
  • Tara Lipinski 1998 Olympics

11 15.94%
  • Kimmie Meissner 2004 Liberty Open

2 2.90%
  • Miki Ando 2002-2003 JGPF

3 4.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash

What was the most difficult Long Program Ever executed by a Ladies Singles Skater?

Mao Asada 2007 GPF FS
    (7 triples including triple axel, triple-flip triple-toe, and triple-flip triple-loop)

Elaine Zayak 1980 Skate Canada
    (5 double axels and six triples)

Midori Ito 1989 Worlds
    (7 triples including triple axel, triple-toe triple-toe)

Tara Lipinski 1998 Olympics
    (7 triples including triple-loop triple-loop, and triple-toe half-loop triple-salchow)

Kimmie Meissner 2004 Liberty Open
    (8 triples including triple axel and triple-lutz triple-toe)

Miki Ando 2002-2003 Junior Grand Prix Final
    (quad salchow and two triple lutzes)

vCash
    So basically your criterion here is the number of difficult jumps landed? Regardless of the quality of the program, the other elements, and in some cases even of the jumps themselves?

vCash
    I think this poll would have more credibility if Kimmie Meissner's cheated, small, and poorly landed triples were not included. Where is Kim Yu-Na, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tonya Harding, and some of Mao's other highly packed programs? Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes, Slutskaya, and Arakawa might deserve inclusion too, especially if Meissner's programs are considered "difficult."

vCash
    I remember Mao and Miki both having very packed programs, which they skated very well, at the 2007 Worlds. Miki didn't do 4s but she did a 3lz-3lo and 7 triples total, 2 of them 3lutzes and two of them 3flips (this was before she stopped doing 3f). Then Mao had trouble with her 2a-3t but I want to say she landed a 3a and a 3f-3lo, on top of all her other jumps, which allowed her to win the FS.

vCash
    I voted to Mao.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I don't think jump quality or overall quality should matter to the question of "most difficult." Those are issues in the execution.

I do think that the difficulty level of spins, footwork, and transitions, and the relative placement of those things, and the jumps, should count.

From the vantage point of "most difficult jump layout" (which may have been a better name for this poll), based solely on the lists provided since I don't have time to watch all the videos, I would say Mao Asada. Triple axel and two different triple triples is a fantastic display of varied skills. Both triples have a very difficult first jump in combination, and the second triple is different in both - triple toe vs the more difficult triple loop. Any one of these alone (triple axel, or one of these combinations) would make me consider a program "very difficult," so all three together is an outstanding and gutsy layout.

vCash
    I'm not sure what the main focus is but Tonya Harding's performance in 1991 Skate America (22 years ago!) needs to be in consideration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQXBXmjumU

To me 2010 Olympic perfromance of Yu Na Kim is the standard for a perfect combination of quality with difficulty. Flawless IMO

vCash
    Probably Harding at 1991 U.S Nationals, 1991 Skate America, and Ito at 89 Worlds all in a tie. As both did 7 triples, a triple axel, a triple-triple (the same one, albeit the easiest one), and all the triples. Maybe Ito since she did her triple-triple much later. Had Kim done a triple loop as a 7th triple at the 2010 Olympics I probably would have gone for her for all the difficult combinations, and all the difficult non jump elements.

vCash
    Asada has had programs she did all the triples (minus one of the easiest since there wasnt room for it in her jump layout), a triple axel, and a difficult triple-triple ending in a triple loop right. I dont remember exactly where but she did do a jump layout like that at some point relatively clean. So keeping in mind if we are just talking difficulty and nothing else, it might be her then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    So basically your criterion here is the number of difficult jumps landed? Regardless of the quality of the program, the other elements, and in some cases even of the jumps themselves?
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I don't think jump quality or overall quality should matter to the question of "most difficult." Those are issues in the execution.

I do think that the difficulty level of spins, footwork, and transitions, and the relative placement of those things, and the jumps, should count.

From the vantage point of "most difficult jump layout" (which may have been a better name for this poll), based solely on the lists provided since I don't have time to watch all the videos, I would say Mao Asada. Triple axel and two different triple triples is a fantastic display of varied skills. Both triples have a very difficult first jump in combination, and the second triple is different in both - triple toe vs the more difficult triple loop. Any one of these alone (triple axel, or one of these combinations) would make me consider a program "very difficult," so all three together is an outstanding and gutsy layout.
    I agree with you. Even with her flawed technique on her jumps and some underrotation, I think Asada's program was the most difficult, among those from the list.
    Apart from the triple axel, it was impressive to see her go for a triple flip-triple loop that late in the program. Her spins and spirals were also of a higher level to me.
    Lastly, and even though the GPF performance is not my favorite, the choreography in that Fantaisie Impromptu looks more challenging than the others listed.

vCash
    Slutskaya had a difficult program with Don Quixote landing seven triples and two triple triples ending with loops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Why don't you make a poll that disregards jumps or judges everything I guess. How about Janet Lynn Faun vs Kostner Bolero or Witt's Carmen?

vCash
    There was nothing remotedly "difficult" about Witt's Carmen. The easiest jumps of all the top skaters, simple spins, no footwork, barely any spirals or field moves, and alot of posing and mugging for the crowd and judges or just simple crossovers between the elements. Whether there was anything good about it is another matter altogether (on that too I would say no).

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am not sure that Mao did any of her big passes cleanly, though. Possible 2 ft on the axel, definite UR of some sort on the flip/toe and the flip/loop looked good but I seriously doubt it would receive credit under todays standards.

That being said, she clearly has the most difficulty planned and she was darn close to pulling it off perfectly.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    There was nothing remotedly "difficult" about Witt's Carmen. The easiest jumps of all the top skaters, simple spins, no footwork, barely any spirals or field moves, and alot of posing and mugging for the crowd and judges or just simple crossovers between the elements. Whether there was anything good about it is another matter altogether (on that too I would say no).
    Witt indeed wins the award for structurally easiest program.

vCash
    Lucinda Ruh at 1999 Worlds. I mean, those spins.

Actually, Midori Ito at 1989 NHK would be my (underinformed) vote, even with the relatively simple non-jump elements.

vCash
    Ruh was so undermarked at the 99 Worlds it was criminal. As Dick Button said her insane spins were worth as much as anyones jumps there, and she actually had one of her best jumping competitions ever, and the programs were lovely. I would have had higher than both Michelle Kwan and Tatiana Malinina in the short program honestly. The judging of the 99 World ladies event was just a huge mess in general. Other than Maria's easy and undisputed victory, everything else was questionable. Ruh in general was never rewarded for her amazing and extremely technically difficult, technically skillful, and very artistic spins like she should have been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    But are you saying every woman there could have done her Carmen? Made that posing and mugging work? Really sold them being Carmen? The question came from eliminating jumps from being the main criteria. So you have to include choreography and selling choreography and making a program work because of who you are and how you perform to music!

vCash
    Well, it depends whether the question is "What was the most difficult program executed by a woman?" with the definition of "difficult" unspecified, or specified as "most difficult to sell choreographically." (Or is that a question more about how well the skater succeeded, rather than how difficult the program would have been for anyone to succeed?)

Or is the question "What was the most technically difficult program executed by a woman, including all technical content except for the jumps?" Or "What was the most technically difficult program executed by a woman, including all technical content and not only the jumps?"

I guess everyone who provides an answer to the question also needs to define the exact question she's answering.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast