vCash

Thumbs up Gregory & Petukhov take their Skating in the Schools initiative to Bridgeport, CT

Local Connecticut article (includes 8 photos) about Gregory/Petukhov's EduSkating brainchild in action: http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...rt-4503969.php
    Somewhere in the crowd of about 20 students at the Wonderland of Ice on Thursday may have been a future hockey player.

"To do that, we really have to start younger," said Tammy Papa, director of the city's Lighthouse after-school program. She plans to get third-graders involved in the next program.
    The couple [Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov] now teaches a basic skills ice skating curriculum that is sanctioned by United States Figure Skating and is part of a Skating in the Schools initiative.

They have been teaching the class for a while in Hartford, and recently branched off into Bridgeport.
    The lessons include teaching students to skate forward, backward, stop, spin, glide and dance.
    "A couple of them are already past three levels," said Gregory. "All of the kids have passed one or more levels."

"We want students to have the opportunity to learn the sport of figure skating," Petukhov said. "It's very hard for inner-city youth to learn figure skating or hockey."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Quadless
    vCash
    I think it's terrific that Melissa and Dennis are so involved in trying to create opportunities for kids who may have a harder road than they had. Bridgeport is a pretty rough city, so I would imagine that the chance to try something new and fun in a sheltered place must be a welcome respite for these kids.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Way to go, Melissa and Denis!

vCash
    This sounds like a wonderful program, best of luck to Melissa & Denis with it, and of course to all of the young skaters as well!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I love seeing skaters give back to their communities and the sport. Kudos to Melissa and Denis for such a great program.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Good for Melissa and Denis, great program for kids.

vCash
    This is terrific!

vCash
    What a great program. Wonderful that they are doing this.