vCash

Lightbulb New Article: "The Other Olympic Gold Medallists"

I've written a new article on my blog called "The Other Olympic Gold Medallists". I have shared the stories of 6.0 of figure skating's Olympic Gold Medallists with incredible stories that you may not know. We all know the stories of Dorothy Hamill, Brian Boitano and skating's other legendary stars who won Olympic gold, but what about the many others who aren't household names? I've compiled the stories of Sjoujke Dijkstra, Holland's only Olympic gold medallist in figure skating, skating star turned pop star Manfred Schnelldorfer, figures virtuoso Trixi Schuba, a magnificient star we lost too soon, Ondrej Nepela & others: http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard. This was very interesting to put together, to say the least.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Awesome! I've been hoping to interview some of them myself. BUt I would argue that at least in North America many of them may be unknown, but not so in Europe.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Yes, in Europe they were well known, especially M. Schnelldorfer. He and pair skaters two-time world champions M.Kilius/H.Bäumler were very popular in West Germany. Chancellor L.Erhard attended Worlds 1964 in Dortmund.

Coming out of nowhere to win the world title in 1951, Ria Baran and Paul Falk (who would later simply be known as The Falk's after marrying), were the first skaters from East or West Germany since World War II to win a world title.

I think till 1964 West Germany and GDR together sent a joint team to Olympics, which competed for Germany.
    Last edited by care bear; 05-10-2013 at 04:56 PM.

vCash
    Thanks so much for your information care bear! It's so interesting to think outside of the "North American bubble" and learn that many skaters are HUGELY popular in their own countries, completely unbeknownst to the general North American audiences. It's a wonderful thing.

vCash
    Have you seen this article about Manfred Schnelldorfer?
    http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/win...0-1101223.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Have you seen this article about Manfred Schnelldorfer?
    http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/win...0-1101223.html
    Thanks so much for passing this on, skatesindreams! I really appreciate it. You should have seen me opening it - I sounded like an old bitty. I was like "you can translate pages from one language to another, just like that? It's amazing what the internet can do!" haha.. Great to read more about Manfred's story. He is certainly one interesting character and has lived quite a life.

vCash
    Seeing as the topic is the same and not different, I thought I'd share here a look at 6.0 more Olympic Gold Medallists not everyone is truly that familiar with. I've got one that's in jail, one who won while PREGNANT and another who competed more than one Olympics, in more than one sport:

http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2013/...part-2_28.html
    http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard

Some more skating history to get you through the off season.
    Last edited by N_Halifax; 05-29-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Missing link

vCash
    What a contrast between the post-Olympic success of Manfred Schnelldorfer and the infamy pf Wolfgang Schwarz.

vCash
    Definitely agree. It's certainly day and night!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Fascinating, thanks for sharing!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    You're very welcome! ) XX