vCash

Ice Skating Association of India's website; Interview with Ami Parekh

Thanks to sammyf for finding and posting the link to the Ice Skating Association of India's website back in March (Indian Nationals 2013 thread in the Kiss and Cry section) -- I wasn't aware of it earlier: http://www.iceskatingindia.org/

Interview with Ami Parekh, who was the first singles skater to represent India at a JGP in 2006 as well as at Four Continents (2007 & 2013) and Worlds (2007 & 2012): http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013...mi-parekh.html
    Excerpt:
    Q: What can you tell us about the skating scene in India?

A: Skating has been around for quite some time in India, though it was either in the form of roller sports or at a recreational level. I think there are several reasons why India may be interested in competitive ice skating. First it is an Olympic sport unlike roller skating. Also, there are many pretty, natural ice rinks up north, and there could be plenty of opportunities to build skating rinks where the climate is colder and more temperate. Finally, in the hotter parts of the country, who wouldn't want to be on the ice as long as there was a way to efficiently build and maintain the rink? In addition to the above, I think there is so much Indian art, culture and talent that could shine on the ice and the world could enjoy it too! With a solid means and support system in India all people could learn skating at any level. Maybe one day all the top figure skaters in the world could go to India for major international competitions just like they currently can go to many other countries. They would get to experience the country and vice versa! However before any of this can happen, a wide scale recognition and dedication to the sport in the India would be necessary. When I went to India to perform and teach seminars in 2010, skating programs seemed a bit more developed than when I last visited the skating scene in 2004-2006. More ice rinks have been built in more cities, and many have rental skates for figure skaters. Unfortunately, there is a lack of qualified figure skating coaches and judges in the country. Also the hotter parts of the country are figuring out an energy efficient way to keep the small rinks running smoothly all year round.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-29-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: To add excerpt
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks to sammyf for finding and posting the link to the Ice Skating Association of India's website back in March (Indian Nationals 2013 thread in the Kiss and Cry section) -- I wasn't aware of it earlier: http://www.iceskatingindia.org/

Interview with Ami Parekh, who was the first singles skater to represent India at a JGP in 2006 as well as at Four Continents (2007 & 2013) and Worlds (2007 & 2012): http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013...mi-parekh.html
    Excerpt:
    Thanks so much for sharing Sylvia!

vCash
    I remember seeing Aadnya Borkar at the Montreal JGP in 2005, and it looks like she competed in a JGP Germany in 2004 also. I think she was the first Indian competitor on the JGP?

vCash
    ^^^ After I posted, I thought I could be wrong about the JGP so thanks for the correction! Parekh is the first from India to compete at an ISU Championships at the senior level - that's in her ISU bio.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden