View Poll Results: Do multiple falls/mistakes in a program show that a skater can handle pressure?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 11.54%
  • No

108 83.08%
  • Don't Know

7 5.38%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    everyone back to your corners, ok? while discussing rep isn't part of the official board rules, it is heavily frowned upon. take your personal issues with each other to PM.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    He won. He has three gold medals to prove that he handled pressure as much as he needed. To take the top prize. Three times. So there's really no arguments to be made. Simply historical fact.
    Only because a huge aspect of the system that he won in is a complete joke. The fact that this many fans (many who are long-time, passionate fans) of the sport are dissatisifed with the results means the consequence shouldn't just be brushed off or dismissed as people "throwing a temper tantrum", no matter how much the ubers would like to convince themselves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Only because a huge aspect of the system that he won in is a complete joke. The fact that this many fans (many who are long-time, passionate fans) of the sport are dissatisifed with the results means the consequence shouldn't just be brushed off or dismissed as people "throwing a temper tantrum", no matter how much the ubers would like to convince themselves.
    Just because you don't like the scoring system, doesn't mean that Chan's win was not legitimate. Please don't mix your own preference with the fact. The fact was Chan won under this system. The judges were no more biased to Ten than to Chan.

Actually the "long-time, passionate fans" are the people who dwell in the past the most. They are the people who are the most difficult to accept the changes.
    Last edited by Eyre; 05-14-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Only because a huge aspect of the system that he won in is a complete joke.
    It's interesting how CoP is an apparent complete disaster...in the men's discipline. In pairs...ladies...ice dance...not so much. Hmm.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Not true. A lot of people are upset that Kostner gets high marks while falling all over the place as well.

I don't watch pairs or dance, so I can't comment on those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Not true. A lot of people are upset that Kostner gets high marks while falling all over the place as well.

I don't watch pairs or dance, so I can't comment on those.
    I think her problem is which she is preventing young skaters unfairly.
    In 2013 World SP, she had very low BV and even fall on 3-3, but she was placed in second and won youngsters who had higher BV and had clean program; osmond, murakami.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    I think her problem is which she is preventing young skaters unfairly.
    In 2013 World SP, she had very low BV and even fall on 3-3, but she was placed in second and won youngsters who had higher BV and had clean program; osmond, murakami.
    Coming from a Mao fan your comments have a certain irony I must say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It's interesting how CoP is an apparent complete disaster...in the men's discipline. In pairs...ladies...ice dance...not so much. Hmm.
    Peter ya know I love your comments, but this time they a bit off base.

When someone's favorite wins, the CoP stands, when someone's non-favorite doesn't win (and it goes all ways}, the CoP isn't fairly administered. Any system will be flawed. I guess it is perspective. I am resigned to the fact that "almost falls but technically not defined as falls" will result in the scoring that it has been.

I said it earlier, Patrick needs to focus on skating and jump landing, refuse all interviews and just work on being a skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Whether he can or cant handle the pressure, he is not going to admit to everyone that he cant anyway
    He has the option to keep quiet, but apparently he does not want to use that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    He has the option to keep quiet, but apparently he does not want to use that.
    Let's mute Chan! But then for some....... Trash Can will be a lot more boring without
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Oh dear, have I touched a raw nerve....

If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.
    Fair enough. I'll explain my opening post

Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    If Patrick Chan dies, will Maofan start a poll about that?
    1. You start polls about a lot of things. You ask people to vote for the worst figure skating accident, as if ranking the physical and psychological pain of skaters is something worth categorizing and analyzing. You helpfully include links so that we can view this for... what exactly? Is it something you're legitimately curious about?

2. But the premise of this poll is beyond insane. It's not an actual debatable precept. But Chan said something stupid, so we should mock him. Now, this is and of itself is annoying, but hardly worth raising ire about. I wish he'd stop saying stupid things, but as he doesn't, criticizing him for saying stupid things is certainly a legitimate discussion (and I hoped my follow-up comment indicated that). But starting a poll, and framing it as you did is less about discussing him and more about an anonymous internet bully trying to get other people to join him/her and pick on someone (which I feel you've done before). There are so many other ways to frame this question that actually would render an interesting discussion. You chose a way that doesn't.

3. If discussing reputation is in breach of the rules, I apologize. However, I will point out that a number of posters certainly will be fine stating they gave reputation to someone (as in the comments "You must spread reputation around before giving it to <insert name here>"). I'm also not convinced that the rules were designed so that posters could insult people privately. But if a moderator/admin could let me know if I'm in breach that would be great.

vCash
    The intent of this kind of poll is obvious. it's just another type of bashing.
    How about that?

In NHK trophy, Mao's placement can be justified? 1. Yes 2.No

In WTT, Is Akiko's scores(199.58) high or low? 1. High 2.Proper 3.Low

Is it desirable two-footed jump got +goe? 1.Sure 2. Never

Mao said she would retire after WTT. but, she changed her words recently.
    Will she really retire after Sochi? 1. Yeah 2.Nope
    Last edited by johnny158; 05-15-2013 at 01:32 AM.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    3. If discussing reputation is in breach of the rules, I apologize. However, I will point out that a number of posters certainly will be fine stating they gave reputation to someone (as in the comments "You must spread reputation around before giving it to <insert name here>"). I'm also not convinced that the rules were designed so that posters could insult people privately. But if a moderator/admin could let me know if I'm in breach that would be great.
    ahem...
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    while discussing rep isn't part of the official board rules, it is heavily frowned upon. take your personal issues with each other to PM.
    I will say that your last post demonstrates why discussing rep on the board is frowned upon - it tends to lead to so much more. And the rule isn't about allowing people to insult each other privately (which anyone can do, anytime), but to keep threads from devolving into personal hissy fits (which is most certainly happening here). Want to argue? have at it - just take it to PM so the rest of us don't have to endure it.

Or better yet: put each other on Ignore. Everybody wins!

So......knock it off.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I don't consider spending the majority of your program on your butt(sensoring myself lol) to be champion worthy.I cannot watch Chan skate,fall repeatedly and receive a gold medal without becoming absolutely livid.It is a complete joke. As you may have discerned,I am not a Chan fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    I don't consider spending the majority of your program on your butt(sensoring myself lol) to be champion worthy.I cannot watch Chan skate,fall repeatedly and receive a gold medal without becoming absolutely livid.It is a complete joke. As you may have discerned,I am not a Chan fan.
    Maybe you need to look into what the word 'majority' means.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Maybe you need to look into what the word 'majority' means.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny158 View Post
    The intent of this kind of poll is obvious. it's just another type of bashing.
    How about that?

In NHK trophy, Mao's placement can be justified? 1. Yes 2.No

In WTT, Is Akiko's scores(199.58) high or low? 1. High 2.Proper 3.Low

Is it desirable two-footed jump got +goe? 1.Sure 2. Never

Mao said she would retire after WTT. but, she changed her words recently.
    Will she really retire after Sochi? 1. Yeah 2.Nope

No. Way too high. Never. Who knows?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    Neither do I consider skaters with just nailing their jumps champion worthy.

Shall we start a poll on who has fallen on either LP or SP and won gold, or both and still win the competition?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Neither do I consider skaters with just nailing their jumps champion worthy.

Shall we start a poll on who has fallen on either LP or SP and won gold, or both and still win the competition?

Should we start a poll which includes the number of falls so that we can see that Chan won the most times with the most numbers of falls?

vCash
    nvm

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast