View Poll Results: Do multiple falls/mistakes in a program show that a skater can handle pressure?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 11.54%
  • No

    108 83.08%
  • Don't Know

    7 5.38%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 161
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    Should we start a poll which includes the number of falls so that we can see that Chan won the most times with the most numbers of falls?
    Of course you can. The Trash Can cannot survive without such polls. We can include the no. of falls for each skater.
    Let's include the ladies, pairs and ice dancing. Oops... nope not ice dancing. No jumps so no falls, only mis-steps.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    321
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    I don't consider spending the majority of your program on your butt(sensoring myself lol) to be champion worthy.
    Neither do I.

    But please tell me, who has spent "majority of your program on your butt"? I've never seen any skaters, not even Denis Ten who had had 5 falls in one program had spent "majority" of his program on his butt.
    Last edited by Eyre; 05-15-2013 at 02:40 PM.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    94.500.000 kílómetrar frá sólinni (og enn frekar frá stjarnfræðilegur læsi).
    Age
    33
    Posts
    23,074
    vCash
    80943
    Rep Power
    90938
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    But please tell me, who has spent "majority of your program on your butt"?
    Bambi and Thumper. ETA: Just Thumper, actually.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 05-15-2013 at 04:54 PM.

  4. #64
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    "I have shown I can handle pressure by twice defending the world title."

    This quote by Chan has ZERO credibility. The spectators don't believe it, his colleagues won't believe it, and I think even HE won't truly believe it.

    So, not only has Chan demonstrated the ability to be a "femine hygeine product used on a summer's evening and the bag it came in," but now he is also demonstrating the ability to spew nonsense to the media that has absolutely no credibility.

    He may have medals, but he is not a champion. MARK THESE WORDS TODAY --- "In 10 -15 years, NO ONE WILL REMEMBER PATRICK CHAN AS A 'GREAT' IN THE SPORT OF FIGURE SKATING. HE AND HIS CAREER AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS WILL HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO A MERE MEMORY..."

    THAT is what PChan seems to fear most .... never being considered to be one of the "greats."

    SorryBoutIt.

  5. #65
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,925
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42288
    Gosh, I guess shouting at us must make you right
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,824
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am not going to argue whether he did/did not deserve to win.

    But how did he handle pressure either time? he fell all over the ice.

    In a "defending your world championship because you can handle pressure" scenario, I think of Kwan who won her 3rd in 2000 with a 7 triple program that included a 3/3 and then won again with a 7 triple program with a 3/3 in 2001-probably her two strongest skates technically at worlds ever. Plus at the time she was not the favorite going in, so she knew she had something to prove.

    Patrick has nice elements but I fail to see how he handled pressure.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    295
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Chan can't handle pressure, among many other things he can't. He is no Champion, never was, never will be. If he "wins" in public (Olympics 2014) the way he "won" Worlds, he's probably the final nail in the coffin of Olympic figure skating.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,765
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    0
    I think that is an overstatement. There are many components of figure skating in the Olympics that will be part of the equation - there has been questionable judging in the past, so if there is questionable judging in Sochi, I don't think that it will lead to the demise/discontinuation of skating in the Olympics

  9. #69
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Maybe Patrick Chan keeps falling because of the 14 gold medals around his neck.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Even if He wins in sochi, he will not have fewer mistakes than the other skaters, I do not even expect him to
    Skate close to clean in next season, and in olympics.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,803
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36444
    I think there are two questions being dealt with in this thread. Some people are focusing on the fact that he's won Worlds so therefore are concluding that he can handle pressure, while others are focusing on Chan's actual performances compared to his potential and are saying that despite his wins, he hasn't been able to perform the way he plans and are therefore concluding he can't handle pressure. IMO, the question of whether he deserved to win and whether he can handle pressure are two different questions.

    This is a more nuanced issue that most here are admitting. Chan was definitely able to handle the pressure in the SP, and in the LP, he landed beautiful quadruple combinations. However, either something is wonky with his technique, or his programs are full of content that he can't execute, or he fell under the pressure and choked in his LP. His skills are good enough to score high even with big mistakes, and other skaters haven't been able to capitalize on Chan's mistakes for one reason or another (even though there are cases to be made for Takahashi in 2012 and Ten in 2013).

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    "I have shown I can handle pressure by twice defending the world title."

    This quote by Chan has ZERO credibility. The spectators don't believe it, his colleagues won't believe it, and I think even HE won't truly believe it.

    So, not only has Chan demonstrated the ability to be a "femine hygeine product used on a summer's evening and the bag it came in," but now he is also demonstrating the ability to spew nonsense to the media that has absolutely no credibility.

    He may have medals, but he is not a champion. MARK THESE WORDS TODAY --- "In 10 -15 years, NO ONE WILL REMEMBER PATRICK CHAN AS A 'GREAT' IN THE SPORT OF FIGURE SKATING. HE AND HIS CAREER AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS WILL HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO A MERE MEMORY..."

    THAT is what PChan seems to fear most .... never being considered to be one of the "greats."
    There is more to life than being a 'great', sweetie. Wow.. you are a great mind-reader aren't you? YOu can tell what Chan fears not being a great? Hey, can you read some minds in what you have written here ..."femine hygeine product used on a summer's evening and the bag it came in"? Yep? Yeah you are absolutely great and correct ... it's the most poignant and literary genius statement you have ever written. You have a great future ahead of you.

    Quote Originally Posted by fandago
    Chan can't handle pressure, among many other things he can't. He is no Champion, never was, never will be. If he "wins" in public (Olympics 2014) the way he "won" Worlds, he's probably the final nail in the coffin of Olympic figure skating.
    Wee, Chan is soooo powerful. He can put the final nail in the coffin of Olympic figure skating. I want him to put nails into some people's heads...
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    321
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    but now he is also demonstrating the ability to spew nonsense to the media that has absolutely no credibility.
    You are probably right. The media seems losing more and more credibilities.

  14. #74
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think there are two questions being dealt with in this thread. Some people are focusing on the fact that he's won Worlds so therefore are concluding that he can handle pressure, while others are focusing on Chan's actual performances compared to his potential and are saying that despite his wins, he hasn't been able to perform the way he plans and are therefore concluding he can't handle pressure. IMO, the question of whether he deserved to win and whether he can handle pressure are two different questions.

    This is a more nuanced issue that most here are admitting. Chan was definitely able to handle the pressure in the SP, and in the LP, he landed beautiful quadruple combinations. However, either something is wonky with his technique, or his programs are full of content that he can't execute, or he fell under the pressure and choked in his LP. His skills are good enough to score high even with big mistakes, and other skaters haven't been able to capitalize on Chan's mistakes for one reason or another (even though there are cases to be made for Takahashi in 2012 and Ten in 2013).
    Well said and far less dramatic and provocative than my views on this matter.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The fact that Chan won 2012 and 2013 shows that there is something very wrong with IJS. Under a proper scoring system, Chan should not have won any of these championships. In fact, he would probably have been at best 9th in the FP if rated under 6.0 (behind Ten, Hanyu, Fernandez, Mura, Aaron, Reynolds, Takahashi, and Joubert). In 2013, Chan didn't fall once - he made three major mistakes including two falls. If he fell once and won, maybe it's credible.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,188
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think there are two questions being dealt with in this thread. Some people are focusing on the fact that he's won Worlds so therefore are concluding that he can handle pressure, while others are focusing on Chan's actual performances compared to his potential and are saying that despite his wins, he hasn't been able to perform the way he plans and are therefore concluding he can't handle pressure. IMO, the question of whether he deserved to win and whether he can handle pressure are two different questions.

    This is a more nuanced issue that most here are admitting. Chan was definitely able to handle the pressure in the SP, and in the LP, he landed beautiful quadruple combinations. However, either something is wonky with his technique, or his programs are full of content that he can't execute, or he fell under the pressure and choked in his LP. His skills are good enough to score high even with big mistakes, and other skaters haven't been able to capitalize on Chan's mistakes for one reason or another (even though there are cases to be made for Takahashi in 2012 and Ten in 2013).
    Very true. Even for those who think he totally deserved to win in 2012 and 2013, that is almost irrelevant to the topic. In no way did what he did show how amazing he is at "handling pressure". I would love to see him in a situation like Kwan was in in both 2000 and 2001, needing to skate lights out perfectly with full out attack, and do her/his highest possible difficulty to even stand a chance at winning, and see how he would respond, if he even has that in him. Somehow I doubt we will even see that situation arise though.

  17. #77
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    The fact that Chan won 2012 and 2013 shows that there is something very wrong with IJS. Under a proper scoring system, Chan should not have won any of these championships. In fact, he would probably have been at best 9th in the FP if rated under 6.0 (behind Ten, Hanyu, Fernandez, Mura, Aaron, Reynolds, Takahashi, and Joubert). In 2013, Chan didn't fall once - he made three major mistakes including two falls. If he fell once and won, maybe it's credible.
    Ninth place? Interesting. And what exactly are your credentials again?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Ninth place? Interesting. And what exactly are your credentials again?
    Psst.... look at the 'name'! Shady! (The beauty of English language).
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,018
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Ninth place? Interesting. And what exactly are your credentials again?

    I didn't know that you need to have certain credentials to be allowed to have an opinion on FSU?

  20. #80

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    I didn't know that you need to have certain credentials to be allowed to have an opinion on FSU?
    Whilst one can have an opinion, does FSU also disallow opinions to be questioned?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •