View Poll Results: Do multiple falls/mistakes in a program show that a skater can handle pressure?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 11.54%
  • No

108 83.08%
  • Don't Know

7 5.38%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    I think Chan was referring to the extent of his off-ice training, not off-ice training in general. From what I've heard his program off the ice is shockingly extensive.
    That's my understanding as well.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    I think Chan was referring to the extent of his off-ice training, not off-ice training in general. From what I've heard his program off the ice is shockingly extensive.
    By most accounts it's also shockingly expensive Which may be one reason most skaters have gone with other off-ice options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl
    I don't think so. Chan was the two-time world champion, competing in Canada. Of course went in as the favorite. Fernandez was someone many people expected to do well, but he doesn't have a hugely consistent track record.
    Erm, his 2012 win wasn't exactly convincing. And it might have been in Canada, but he had lost at Skate Canada this season just as much. He was still a medal favorite and a gold contender, but the majority of people had their money on someone else. You can say that there wasn't a clear favorite, but if there was a favorite, it was definitly not Chan.

And even if, this pressure during the SP won't be close to the pressure he'll probably be under at the next Olympics. So that clean SP is hardly any indication of him being able to handle the olympic pressure.

vCash
    Chan has never experienced pressure in his life so how would he know how he deals with pressure. Gold medals are engraved with his name before events begin, and he knows it doesnt matter how crappy he skates (Worlds this year, Skate Canada 2010, a ton of other events), he is certain to win. My only question is why the ISU still requires Chan to actually skate at events, as opposed to mailing him out his gold medals. Seems like such an unneccessary nuisance for him to have to actually show up and skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    If Patrick Chan dies, will Maofan start a poll about that?

Chan's comments, as usual, demonstrate a staggering lack of self-awareness that is clinically fascinating to me.
    love this post

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    He won. He has three gold medals to prove that he handled pressure as much as he needed. To take the top prize. Three times. So there's really no arguments to be made. Simply historical fact.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Of course c(h)andy baby can handle pressure; he has none. He's well aware he always can count on his judge pals, who never let him down on really important events ...

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post
    Of course c(h)andy baby can handle pressure; he has none. He's well aware he always can count on his judge pals, who never let him down on really important events ...
    So the judging is fair in the ladies, pairs and ice dance disciplines, but the eville judges in men's all fawn over Chan like Bruno on Dancing With The Stars? What an enlightening theory.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    So the judging is fair in the ladies, pairs and ice dance disciplines, but the eville judges in men's all fawn over Chan like Bruno on Dancing With The Stars? What an enlightening theory.
    The Kanadians have already got their hold on the ice dance judges, since as we all know V/M are hacks who shouldn't have even passed CanSkate, much less be world champions. But it is a lot of work to fix the results in every discipline, which is why they haven't gotten around to pairs and ladiezzzz yet. But they will, mark my words
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    ^ I hope this is sarcastic lol

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The Kanadians have already got their hold on the ice dance judges, since as we all know V/M are hacks who shouldn't have even passed CanSkate, much less be world champions. But it is a lot of work to fix the results in every discipline, which is why they haven't gotten around to pairs and ladiezzzz yet. But they will, mark my words
    Silly. Canadians are okay. It's just Chan and his minion of judges that are eville. Does anyone know if Patrick has listed "collecting locks of judges hair" as one of his pastimes?

vCash

vCash
    Namecalling and negative rep? Maofan, you certainly know the way to one's heart!

vCash
    Namecalling and negative rep? Maofan, you certainly know the way to one's heart!
    Oh dear, have I touched a raw nerve....

If Patrick Chan dies, will Maofan start a poll about that?
    If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    i think it was rude and immature of you to be so cowardly as to call me an imbecile because i liked a post. Now stop being a petty little brat and grow up.

vCash
    Maofan was teased on the playground during recess every day and never outgrew the pain. The therapy has helped little so we're stuck with the behavior. Poor thing... first sign of objection and all those days with a mouth full of sand and rocks from the mean kids on the playground flood the memory. It's sad really...

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    Maofan was teased on the playground during recess every day and never outgrew the pain. The therapy has helped little so we're stuck with the behavior. Poor thing... first sign of objection and all those days with a mouth full of sand and rocks from the mean kids on the playground flood the memory. It's sad really...

Blergh
    vCash
    Well, the past few posts have been real mature.

vCash
    i think it was rude and immature of you to be so cowardly as to call me an imbecile because i liked a post.
    moi immature! A case of the pot calling the kettle black me thinks. Wow, what a tantrum.

negative rep? Maofan, you certainly know the way to one's heart!
    Rep, whether positive or negative is not a matter you should be discussing in an open thread. That represents a breach of the rules, and both of you are in breach. Rep given or received is a personal matter between those party to it
    Last edited by Maofan7; 05-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.

vCash
    Depends on how one measures it. I believe Chan's conclusion was based on his own results from last two worlds, not based on how many falls he has had. Based on the results, no one can really say that he did not handle the pressure, even though not so well, but he did handle the pressure.

Based on the number of falls, which many of you loved to focus on, no, he did not handle it well, especially compare his Johnson influence days(2012 Worlds and 2013 Worlds) with his Krall influence days(2011 Worlds).

It is worth to remember that Denis Ten's LP was NOT as good as many of you have claimed, even though he did not fall! It was a 50/50 chance this time for either Chan or Ten to win the title. Chan won. So what?! You naysayers have been having the world biggest temper tantrum.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast