View Poll Results: Do multiple falls/mistakes in a program show that a skater can handle pressure?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 11.54%
  • No

108 83.08%
  • Don't Know

7 5.38%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Chan: I have shown I can handle pressure by twice defending the world title

New article on Patrick Chan. Reads:-

There will probably only be one Canadian athlete under more pressure to deliver at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics than Patrick Chan, Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue.

And his name is Sidney Crosby.

But a pleasant Wednesday evening in the merry month of May seemed an eternity away from the wintry dark of next February when many Canadians will be glued to their TV sets watching the action from Russia.

“There is going to be pressure,” admitted Chan, the three-time men’s world figure-skating champion, before performing with the Stars on Ice show at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.

“But I have experienced that before and shown I can handle it by twice successfully defending the world title.”
    In the opinion of many, Denis Ten is the real world champion, and I have a problem in working out how somebody can claim that they can handle pressure when persistently falling and making mistakes on multiple occasions in their programs. Is Chan in denial over just how controversial his 'win' at 2013 Worlds was? I mean, he calls it a successful defence, when in actual fact it was a highly dubious one. And the outcome of the 2012 World Championships was almost as controversial as well. That's not what I would class as 2 successful defences.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 05-09-2013 at 11:29 PM.

vCash
    QMI Agency article on Chan's off-ice regimen: http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_heal...channel_id=159
    In fact, he credits an extensive off-ice fitness regimen for giving him an edge on the ice — which has caught the attention of his competitors.

“I think skaters have noticed I’ve had some success with doing a proper off-ice program. So I think a lot of skaters are now picking it up,” explains Chan, fresh off a gold medal-winning performance at last month’s ISU World Figure Skating Championships in London, Ont.

“Funny enough, the world silver medalist this year who came right behind me (Denis Ten), he went and saw my trainer in Calgary. He’s from Kazakhstan and he went all the way to Calgary to see my trainer (fitness guru Andy O’Brien) just to get assessed and get an off-ice program. He had never done any kind of off-ice training, but he saw that’s a part of figure skating that people shouldn’t overlook.”
    New Q&A with Chan (link is fixed): http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...934/story.html
    Q: You made a comment awhile ago questioning the necessity of competing in an event (the World Team Trophy Championships in Japan). Was there a backlash?

A: There was a bit of a backlash. I said those comments out of frustration. It was a very long season and it was hard to go from Worlds (the World Figure Skating Championship) back into an event. I’ve apologized to the ISU (International Skating Union) and sent them a letter. I let my emotions take over. Everything’s fine.

Q: This ISU sounds like some kind of despotic regime.

A: I definitely wouldn’t say it’s like that. It just wasn’t the right time to express my opinion.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-10-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: To fix link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oh, Patrick. Does he really believe what he's saying? Does he really think his skating in defending his world title has been inspiring? Do sloppy performances show that he's able to handle the pressure or that he's well-trained?

You'd think no skater had ever done off-ice work until Patrick Chan showed them the light.

ETA: Sylvia, the Vancouver Sun link seems to be broken.

vCash
    I don't think he has a problem with pressure. I think he may have some technique issues by not having a coach. He has always fallen a lot on 3a and I don't think it's pressure related. His success in 2011 was not because Of him dealing with pressure well.

vCash
    If Patrick Chan dies, will Maofan start a poll about that?

Chan's comments, as usual, demonstrate a staggering lack of self-awareness that is clinically fascinating to me.

vCash
    Patrick Chan Discovers Off-Ice Training Helps Shock!

So, er, Patrick, mate, can you hook me up with a journo? I'm dying to tell the world how off-ice training has been helping this little skating nobody for quite some time now...

vCash
    Funny enough, the world silver medalist this year who came right behind me (Denis Ten), he went and saw my trainer in Calgary. He’s from Kazakhstan and he went all the way to Calgary to see my trainer (fitness guru Andy O’Brien) just to get assessed and get an off-ice program. He had never done any kind of off-ice training, but he saw that’s a part of figure skating that people shouldn’t overlook.”
    He appears to be unaware that Denis trains in California. It's not that far from Calif to Calgary!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash

I don't know about Denis Ten, but the vast majority of elite competitive skaters (from ALL the disciplines) do extensive off-ice training, from yoga to weight training, etc. Even my old local skating club had off-ice training sessions available to us non-elite skaters. I hope Chan is joking, because surely he can't be THAT oblivious.

vCash
    I suspect that Patrick is unaware of anything or anyone but himself. At this point in time, I think it is best to block everything he has to say - I would guess that as the build-up to Sochi continues Patrick will say outrageous things not realizing that they are outrageous. If I was in his PR team, I would refuse any media interviews until after Sochi and put him in a bubble.

vCash
    I think Chan was referring to the extent of his off-ice training, not off-ice training in general. From what I've heard his program off the ice is shockingly extensive.

Just my two cents on this; no I don't think that counts as handling pressure well, however he certainly handled pressure in his short program at this years worlds. I personally believe Chan says all these things because he doesn't believe he can handle pressure well himself and he is trying to convince himself by saying that he can over and over again. It's a pretty common thing to do to help confidence, it's just that most of us don't have to do widely publicized interviews.

vCash
    Whether he can or cant handle the pressure, he is not going to admit to everyone that he cant anyway

vCash
    Patrick earned his first world title, and was gifted the second and third ones. That is all. Oh yeah you can handle the pressure soo well, because that FS at Worlds this year with those 2 falls, a bad stepout, and a doubled jump combo was just so indicative of a champion. Honestly, I thought Chan deserved to be 7th in the FS and 3rd overall, barely ahead of Hanyu. Javi was better overall. I found it gross how the judges could mark that performance as 2nd best on the night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    If Patrick Chan dies, will Maofan start a poll about that?
    I am sure Maofan or JJ or a few other names will! It will be a poll which goes like this:
    1) Did Chan deserve to die? or
    2) Should Chan have died earlier or later? or
    3) Chan should have died XXXXX way and not YYYY way? or
    4) Did Chan suffer on his death bed? or
    5) Do you think Chan should not have died and live for another 10 years?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    He appears to be unaware that Denis trains in California. It's not that far from Calif to Calgary!
    Just a little farther, relatively, than Calgary is to Colorado.

vCash
    I thought Patrick looked a little heavy at WTT---maybe that's part of the reason for his subpar performance. So much for off-ice training: I'm sure the other skaters were not marveling at his fitness

vCash
    I have never felt that his mental is stronger than other top skaters.
    It seemed he was closed to that when 2011 World Championships, but after in two seasons, he has became more inconsistency, his mental is to be more weaker.

his 11-12, 12-13 world titles were.. he made ​​mistakes more than other skaters.
    based on what..? he claim that he has proven his mentality strong himself in the two world titles?
    Last edited by karlon; 05-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235
    Just my two cents on this; no I don't think that counts as handling pressure well, however he certainly handled pressure in his short program at this years worlds.
    I don't think so. Patrick wasn't the favorite this year, Javi was (and partly Yuzuru). He said himself in an interview that he felt more like the underdog. Last year, when he was the favorite, he was rather tight and it seemed like the pressure got to him. I don't think Patrick is a bad competitor or unable to handle pressure, but to me he's not any better in that regard than the other top men are. As it stands now, I really don't expect him to be clean, or even close to clean, at the olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    It's not that close, either. About a 3 hour flight (each way) from LA to Calgary. It's a big trip to take to be assessed by a trainer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    I don't think so. Patrick wasn't the favorite this year, Javi was (and partly Yuzuru). He said himself in an interview that he felt more like the underdog. Last year, when he was the favorite, he was rather tight and it seemed like the pressure got to him. I don't think Patrick is a bad competitor or unable to handle pressure, but to me he's not any better in that regard than the other top men are. As it stands now, I really don't expect him to be clean, or even close to clean, at the olympics.
    I don't think so. Chan was the two-time world champion, competing in Canada. Of course went in as the favorite. Fernandez was someone many people expected to do well, but he doesn't have a hugely consistent track record.

Stephane Lambiel gave a champion's performance in defense of his title back in 2006. Patrick Chan has skated one good program out of four in his two times defending his title (to his credit, said program was a very strong skate).

There aren't a lot of skaters that have the mental game to be really consistent over time while competing at the highest level. Plushenko does, but his physical condition isn't good enough anymore; and I'd say Yuna Kim for the most part has shown an amazing ability to handle the pressure she's under (which is well beyond anything most skaters have to deal with). Looking at major competitions, Chan has mostly shown his ability to get good marks. This is not the same is skating well under pressure.

vCash
    deleted
    Last edited by karlon; 05-10-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast