Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How would you rank these four (4) LP's

Alissa Czisny: 2011 Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gvqVM3fh0
    Gracie Gold: 2013 Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU78A1ezsJA
    Mirai Nagasu: 2011 4CC's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmzq9aGBR0
    Ashley Wagner: 2013 WTT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEyA2XKRK-U

I get the feeling these are actually the top LP's for the entire last quadrennial for US ladies, so just wanted to know how you would rank them ...

vCash
    That LP from 4CC from Mirai was her last great skate. If she had skated like that at Nationals she might have even beat Alissa. It certainly would have blown Rachael out of the water and kept her home for Worlds and who knows maybe the US would have gotten that 3rd spot back sooner. That's what was infuriating about Mirai just when you were ready to give up on her she would skate like this. But she hasn't been the same since.

vCash
    Wow, Czisny was graded on a personal learning curve that night. That program wasn't anything outstanding, but it was a mental breakthrough. In judging Wagner and Nagasu, I considered Wagner's step sequence which I find overrated. Also Nagasu landed two 3Lzes from correct BOEs compared to Ashley's flutz. Both programs are good, but Wagner sometimes shows her technical limits. I am interested to see her selections for 2013-14, for I anticipate she is going to aim to make a splash.

1. Gracie Gold 2013 US Nationals
    2. Mirai Nagasu 2011 Four Continents
    3. Ashley Wagner 2013 WTT
    4. Alissa Czisny 2011 Nationals

vCash
    1. Alissa Czisny 2011 Nationals
    2. Ashley Wagner 2013 WTT
    3. Mirai Nagasu 2011 Four Continents
    4. Gracie Gold 2013 U.S Nationals

Sorry IronLady for going in reverse order of you exactly, I didnt do that on purpose. It was hard since all were great but neither good enough to compete with Kim, Asada, Kostner, or even Ando at their best. I put Gold last since her presentation is by far the weakest at this point. I put Czisny the highest since it was about the same as her performance which won the GP final which is a huge event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    That LP from 4CC from Mirai was her last great skate. If she had skated like that at Nationals she might have even beat Alissa..
    Delivering that skate at nationals, Mirai would have deserved to beat the hesitant, choreographically simpler performance by Czisny. I say the judges would have not chosen Mirai, because Alissa received some inflated scores, as did Rachael Flatt, for PCS.

vCash
    I put Gold highest because she jumps like an amazon and her presentation, while inadequate, is probably better than anything Slutskaya or some other noted jumpers (Miki Ando) got away with in years past. I think Gold is a lot more feminine and musical than Miki Ando.

vCash
    Slutskaya skated with alot more speed and ice coverage than Gold. She also skates with more personality and command. Those are pretty much her only advantages on the presentation side to where Gold already is. I agree Gold can easily reach or surpass Slutskaya's level of presentation though.

I agree with you on Gold vs Ando. What the judges saw in Ando besids sometimes strong jumps I will never know or understand in the least.

vCash
    I would've had it -

1. Gold
    2. Nagasu
    3. Wagner
    4. Czisny

vCash
    I think Gracie covers the ice as well as any skater can to be honest and her speed is top notch. Watching Irina back around 1998 i think Gracie is a much better skater then Slutskaya despite being younger and looks to be faster then Irina was back then.

vCash
    I also thought Gold improved quite a bit between nationals and worlds. I saw better timing and good outward expression. She should soon be capable of skating like a senior, and her mind is getting accustomed to doing it. She convinced me of that at least. The SP program had boob shimmying and fanning herself and the FS had not so wonderful marching, but I think she is moving and thinking beyond the jumps.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-02-2013 at 03:13 AM.

vCash
    I also agree she improved between Nationals and Worlds. Especialy on the presentation side of things, and while she didnt match her clean Nationals LP in general I think she is getting more consistent and better with dealing with the nerves. Heck in 5 programs now her last bad was the Nationals SP which shows her progress there. I think next year you are going to see big presentation improvement and alot more consistency in competition as it is no problem with her technique, but sometimes her nerves. Wagner is going to have to respond by really improving in alot of ways herself- jump combinations, spins, further improving her own PCS to keep the edge on Gold there, to stay as U.S #1.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    1. Czisny
    2. Nagasu
    3. Wagner
    4. Gold

vCash
    Thinking of that 2011 Four Continents event where Nagasu skated a great program to win the bronze also reminds me isnt that the event where for the only time ever Asada had a totally clean performance (3 axels and all) and still lost both the LP and overall event to Miki Ando? That must have been a kick in confidence for her at the time. Ando skated her best ever performance there probably though, I wouldnt have had any problem with her World title win over a lackluster Kim had she repeated that performance there instead.

vCash
    1. Nagasu - everything was very good and she had the confidence and spark, and some good, complex moves
    2. Czisny - simplistic program but very detailed relations to the music and of course, wonderful spins and glide
    3. Wagner - everything was good to very good, nothing outstanding aside from the flips
    4. Gold - wonderful jumping but no comparison in everything else

vCash
    Gold reminds me of Ando because she jumps really well and basically ignores the music, but gets good PCS anyways because she has decent basics and is attractive. If Gold can develop the consistency Ando had in the latter half of her career, I think she's going to be really tough to beat once the Queen is out of the picture. Ando's artistry did improve with time too and I'm sure Gold's will too, but I never thought of Miki as a particularly expressive or artistic skater but the marks suggested otherwise. Gracie is also like Miki in that she doesn't always do so well in the SP but can then make up ground big time in the FS even when she isn't perfect technically.

vCash
    1. Mirai
    4. Alissa

Cant decide on the other 2 but Mirai wins easy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think she's going to be really tough to beat once the Queen is out of the picture...
    Michelle Kwan retired a long time ago.

vCash
    TheIronLady can stay pressed. You can't be the real Queen without winning the big one anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Michelle Kwan retired a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    TheIronLady can stay pressed. You can't be the real Queen without winning the big one anyway.
    Last edited by karlon; 06-02-2013 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Mirai
    Gracie
    Ashley
    Alissa
    For me Alissa's lesser jump content, and lesser jump technique put her dead bottom. Spins aside, it was a simpler program too, and she doesnt have the power and rink coverage of Mirai or Gracie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast