vCash

Daisuke Takahashi on CNN's 'Human to Hero'

Daisuke Takahashi will be featured next week on CNN's Human to Hero

Up next: Skating star

Human to Hero next meets Daisuke Takahashi, a figure skater from Japan.

The 27-year-old wanted to be a gymnast as a child, but there was an ice rink near his home -- and he has gone on to become Asia's first male world champion.

Takahashi says he loves to perform for an audience and is hoping to improve on his 2010 Olympic bronze at Sochi 2014
    Watch Human to Hero at these times (all GMT):
    Every Wednesday on World Sport at 1600 and 2130, and Thursdays on World Sport at 0400.
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahashi Road to Sochi

vCash
    thank you!

vCash
    Summary article with a video clip is up: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/sport/...pan/index.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-15-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Summary article with a video clip is up: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/sport/...pan/index.html
    It's a bit misleading that the article is titled, "Japan's golden boy on the importance of being 'gorgeous'." The word Daisuke used in response to the question about which quality every figure skater needed was "hanayakasa," which, in this context, would be better translated as "flair" or even "expressiveness" or "showmanship".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    It's a bit misleading that the article is titled, "Japan's golden boy on the importance of being 'gorgeous'." The word Daisuke used in response to the question about which quality every figure skater needed was "hanayakasa," which, in this context, would be better translated as "flair" or even "expressiveness" or "showmanship".
    It is, you are right, and thank you so much for pointing that out! I cringe every time I read it!
    Even though I don't speak Japanese I was sure from the beginning that was the wrong translation. I'm used to read Daisuke translated properly so to me, the whole article and captioning feel they are not out of his mouth. It sure doesn't reflect the humbleness of his personality and all in all doesn't sound like him. I know it's not easy to catch the nuances of the language, but CNN did a very poor job on this, pity! Hopefully at least one of the Japanese fans will recap it soon!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    It is, you are right, and thank you so much for pointing that out! I cringe every time I read it!
    Even though I don't speak Japanese I was sure from the beginning that was the wrong translation. I'm used to read Daisuke translated properly so to me, the whole article and captioning feel they are not out of his mouth. It sure doesn't reflect the humbleness of his personality and all in all doesn't sound like him. I know it's not easy to catch the nuances of the language, but CNN did a very poor job on this, pity! Hopefully at least one of the Japanese fans will recap it soon!
    I think the problem is that there are very few native English speakers who understand Japanese, so most translations from English to Japanese are done by Japanese speakers who might not be as aware of the different nuances of the English words they use. Having met Daisuke (and spoken with him in Japanese), I can attest to his humble attitude. Love him!!

vCash
    Thank you for posting this update.

Now, does anyone know where I might be able to stream it (since I don't get World Sport)?

Thanks again.

vCash
    The link in this post is still working. Enjoy it!

vCash
    The link in this post is still working. Enjoy it!
    Indeed it does! Thank you so much for that. And with subtitles, I could actually understand what he was saying! What a novelty.

Thank you again for the link!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by momnatur View Post
    Indeed it does! Thank you so much for that. And with subtitles, I could actually understand what he was saying! What a novelty.

Thank you again for the link!
    You're more than welcome!

And if you check the links in this post, you will find another beautiful program about Dai with English subtitles, and a more accurate translation.
    A must-see if you like Dai! Enjoy!

vCash
    The link in this post is still working.
    Dumb question: Is this 3-minute piece all there is? You mean I've been waiting all this time in vain for a 30-min. video to be uploaded?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Dumb question: Is this 3-minute piece all there is? You mean I've been waiting all this time in vain for a 30-min. video to be uploaded?
    Sylvia, I hate to break your heart but... yes, that is all there is! 'Human to Hero' is just a short feature inside a weekly 30 minutes CNN program called 'World Sports'. Shame on them!!