Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

True Blood and Dead Ever After

A new season of True Blood approaches. I couldn't find last year's thread so I'm starting a new one.

What do you think of the trailer? I think it looks okay. It will be interesting to see if the series can come back from last year's (IMHO) weak season.

Also, who's reading the final Sookie Stackhouse novel from Charlaine Harris, Dead Ever After?

vCash
    I haven't been able to get the book yet, but I've heard the spoilers...

I do also know, though, that apparently in September there is a 'what happens after the series' kind of book coming out.

As for the trailer, looks a lot better than season 5 was. I'm happy Nora is still around, but we damn well better get some Eric/Sookie flirting too (though I do prefer Nora, actually). Love that Sarah Newlin (I believe it's her voice in the trailer) is coming back.

I'm over the show, though. It's a pretty terrible show now. Like most people I know, the only reasons I keep watching are Eric and Lafayette. There are rumours that

Spoiler

and while I doubt it would happen, because of the reaction they'd get, I also wouldn't be all that surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the last season of the show. Alex SkarsgŚrd is the show's biggest star, and he has a pretty decent film career going now - 3 movies out between last month and this month, another later this year, talks of starring in a Tarzan movie, the bullshit 50 Shades movie (please don't do it, Alex!!)... And while he enjoys working on the show, he has flat out said that as long as he does the show he has 'f**k you money' and enjoys other projects.

- And speaking of Alex, he was really dorkily awkward last week on Jimmy Fallon (can't find the video on youtube, but he talked about his tattoo which was drawn by his little brother)
    - He recently sang a Swedish song (the song for his football team) in an interview (that always ends with the guest singing.)
    - And was cute on Live with Kelly and Michael, pretending to cry while talking about an old girlfriend.
    Last edited by screech; 05-09-2013 at 08:37 PM.

vCash
    I think there will be one more season of True Blood after this one with or without certain people. Then honestly, some of the actors playing vampires -- most notably Stephen Moyer -- have aged too much to be believable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    I think there will be one more season of True Blood after this one with or without certain people. Then honestly, some of the actors playing vampires -- most notably Stephen Moyer -- have aged too much to be believable.
    Stephen may have aged, but I think he looks much more attractive now than he used to. I think a lot of the actors are a bit 'over' the show now, even if they aren't as successful as Alex in other endeavours. He and Joe (who I really don't like, even after meeting him in person) are definitely experiencing the most post TB success.

I'm hoping the show will have some good changes this year, now that Alan Ball is not running it anymore. They have some great cast additions (Robert Patrick is now a regular, and Rutger Hauer has joined the show in the role that I think David Bowie would have been perfect for). According to True Blood Wiki, there are 22 regular castmembers for the upcoming season. I have no idea how they will fit all their names in the opening credits...

And also, apparently this season will only be 10 episodes, because they got a late start to filming because of Anna and Stephen's babies.

vCash
    For True Blood, I hope it's better than last year. Last year was by far my least favorite season. Vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches and all of that are cool. I'm able to suspend my belief long enough to enjoy it and not let my rational thinking spoil the show...

However I think last season's story line was a mistake. I'm not super religious or sensitive about people trying to tie things to the bible or biblical times or anything like that...I just think they tried a little too hard, to the point it was a almost too much of a stretch for me to believe it or take it seriously. The whole Lilith/Salome/vampire religious cult thing got really old really fast to the point I was annoyed by the end of the season and I'm barely looking forward to seeing it return.

I really hope they do a better job this season...

Now what I am salivating to see is Dexter! Last season was phenomenal and the ending was jaw-dropping...I can't wait to see how they wrap that show up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I really hope they do a better job this season...
    Ditto! I found season five extremely disappointing. It was morose, unfocused and way too sanctimonious. Hopefully, this season will be better. I'd like to see this series go out strong.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I read the book and it ended exactly as I predicted it would when I read the first book. There really were no other options and I cannot think anyone who read the series was surprised.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I read the book and it ended exactly as I predicted it would when I read the first book. There really were no other options and I cannot think anyone who read the series was surprised.
    I've read all the books and short stories and the novella. While I wasn't surprised, I was disappointed. I hope the TV series ends a bit less predictably.

vCash
    I was not surprised at who she ended up with. That was pretty much a given as Harris has been about as subtle as Acme Anvils on that point. I think most people are upset at the WAY it was done. Harris might have had an idea for how to get there when she originally envisioned it as a five book series, but it contradicts how the characters actually developed. She also did not follow the rules of her own universe, and I was shocked at Sookie's regression.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." ĖOlympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I was not surprised at who she ended up with. That was pretty much a given as Harris has been about as subtle as Acme Anvils on that point. I think most people are upset at the WAY it was done. Harris might have had an idea for how to get there when she originally envisioned it as a five book series, but it contradicts how the characters actually developed. She also did not follow the rules of her own universe, and I was shocked at Sookie's regression.
    I suppose I could vent my full frustrations with a spoiler tag, but I'd rather just say the books, which at times were incredibly exciting, truly limped to finish while simultaneously losing their perspective.

vCash
    From Amazon, To be released October 29
    After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse

Synopsis:
    Dead Ever After marked the end of the Sookie Stackhouse novels—a series that garnered millions of fans and spawned the hit HBO television show True Blood. It also stoked a hunger that will never die…a hunger to know what happened next.

With characters arranged alphabetically—from the Ancient Pythoness to Bethany Zanelli—bestselling author Charlaine Harris takes fans into the future of their favorite residents of Bon Temps and environs. You’ll learn how Michele and Jason’s marriage fared, what happened to Sookie’s cousin Hunter, and whether Tara and JB’s twins grew up to be solid citizens.

This coda provides the answers to your lingering questions—including details of Sookie’s own happily-ever-after…
    Though I doubt it, there's still some hope...

vCash
    I suppose I could vent my full frustrations with a spoiler tag, but I'd rather just say the books, which at times were incredibly exciting, truly limped to finish while simultaneously losing their perspective.
    I completely agree. I was actually thankful to hear about the spoiler and the spoiler reviews so I had time to cancel my nook pre-order and save myself $15 of disappointment. It sounds like it was even worse than the last two books which is saying something.

vCash
    If someone wouldn't mind, can you tell me what happens at the end of the books? (spoiler tag of course)

I read the first two but they just didn't hold my attention the way I thought they would. I'd fallen in love with characters in the show who weren't in the book and I don't know...I just couldn't get through them. But I am curious to know how it all ended...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    If someone wouldn't mind, can you tell me what happens at the end of the books? (spoiler tag of course)

I read the first two but they just didn't hold my attention the way I thought they would. I'd fallen in love with characters in the show who weren't in the book and I don't know...I just couldn't get through them. But I am curious to know how it all ended...
    If you never got past book two, it would be way too convoluted to try and explain how it ends. Many of the characters on the TV show exist in the books, but in different ways. For example, Sam doesn't have a troubled past. He is a shifter, but so were his parents. He came from a loving family. Bill is a fairly insignificant character after book three. He appears throughout the 13 books -- sometimes playing a part in the action, but not a main character and certainly never king of Louisiana. Godric wasn't Eric's maker. Who and what Eric's maker was plays a part in later books and in the conclusion.

Flutzilla1, I enjoyed Dead Ever After much more than Deadlocked. If you've read the whole series, read it. It is what it is. I'm not sorry I read it. I'm just sorry Charlaine Harris couldn't be bothered to write a better ending.

vCash
    Alex was recently interviewed for one of his 87 new movies and was asked about his thoughts on Dead Ever After. He hasn't read it, but was informed of how it ends. And the written interview actually includes words to describe his reaction.
    *Three full seconds of stunned, open-mouthed silence*
    Full discussion of the ending in the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

So basically, he agrees that there needs to be more to the story. (source - it's towards the bottom of the page)

vCash
    I suppose the author of the piece wanted a reaction worthy of note from AS, because

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    I suppose the author of the piece wanted a reaction worthy of note from AS, because

Spoiler

I was thinking the same thing.

Spoiler

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Don't forget:

Babyvamp-Jessica will start blogging again after the Summer premiere: http://www.babyvamp-jessica.com/

I really like these blog posts by Jessica. Pam is in a few and they are funny.

vCash
    That sums it up for me. There are so many holes and all the promised tolerance messages ended up being subverted. It was a lame book.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Alex was hilarious on Conan last night. He talked about everything from True Blood ("Eric's not a bad guy, he just kills people occasionally") to his dad's penis size. And has a great response when a fan shouts out "I love you, Alex!" in the middle of the interview.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast