Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I just watched three programs of Nancy's circa 1991-1993 and I can see that Caryn had the capability to beat Nancy. Nancy almost never did her planned programs.
    She never came close to her planned programs. She had to train her ass off and much harder than she ever had before to finally get up to 5 triple programs a couple times in her finale season in 94. Her 7 triple layouts in the early 90s were pure fantasy given the way she trained. She occasionaly beat Ito and Harding (Harding after 91 most of the time she beat) but that was mostly due to their potential to bomb. Her failure to come close to ever doing her planned programs was most exposed by her record against the consistent Yamaguchi who she never came close to defeating even once, even on Kristi`s off days.

vCash
    Was ABC favoring Trenary? In 88-89 and 89-90 I think Caryn Kadavy was retired, so of course they would be touting Jill.
    I was thinking of Calgary, where any time they were not talking about Thomas-Witt it was all about Trenary. Then Kadavy placed ahead of her in the SP.
    Last edited by Susan M; 06-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.

vCash
    I think Jill was underrated personally. She was doing harder jumps than Thomas and Witt, and had better artistry atleast than Thomas, so she really should have been the winner if everyone skated cleanly but the judges showed they place her below Thomas, Witt, Manley, Kadavy, if they all skate cleanly. Her short program in Calgary should have been 1st since she did the triple flip combo which was the hardest, other than maybe Ito's double loop-triple loop, and her artistry was better than all the others besides Witt, but the judges placed her only 6th with really low technical marks. Her figures were better than all the top skaters besides Ivanova and maybe Thomas but the judges placed her lower than Witt and Manley regularly in figures. It is a joke in Calgary she couldnt have even won the bronze overall even had she done a clean lean, even with Thomas having a horrible free skate.

Her 1990 World title is also unfairly dissed. It isnt her fault Ito bombed the figures and Jill's long was very good, the 2nd best technically and best artistically. She could still compete once the figures were out. At the Goodwill Games she lost to Yamaguchi only on a 4-3 split and that was with having like 3 mistakes. Had she stayed healthy she would have remained a contender.

She is underrated by skating fans today, and was underrated by judges during her career.

vCash
    Thats an interesting observation on Trenary. After Witt stopped doing the flip in 84, Trenary was one of the few women doing that jump. I agree about 90 worlds, but I didn't particularly like her program that season.

vCash
    Internationally Jill was appreciated. Kristi Yamaguchi was doing 3Lz-2T in her SP at 1989 worlds and Jill still was rewarded for a SP than only had 3T-2T. It seems like judges typically credited her for her beauty and what she could do. She was not written off in the USA until perhaps the Tonya-Nancy-Kristi trio swept the 1991 worlds podium. I wouldn't know, but this could have been a psychological turning point in USA judging politics.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-04-2013 at 06:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Good question
    Denise had a triple lutz when most people were lucky to eek out a triple toe or salchow. She was also ridiculously consistent technically, creative artistically and maintained her consistency throughout her long professional career. A truly underrated skater.

vCash
    Jill's hair is what put her over the top

vCash
    Internationally Jill was appreciated. Kristi Yamaguchi was doing 3Lz-2T in her SP at 1989 worlds and Jill still was rewarded for a SP than only had 3T-2T. It seems like judges typically credited her for her beauty and what she could do. She was not written off in the USA until perhaps the Tonya-Nancy-Kristi trio swept the 1991 worlds podium. I wouldn't know, but this could have been a psychological turning point in USA judging politics.
    Wasn't Trenary basically done after figures were gone, though? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123