View Poll Results: Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison - 2007 4CC

36 33.96%
  • Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin - 2004 Skate America

61 57.55%
  • Zhang Dan & Zhang Hao - 2006 Olympics

2 1.89%
  • Olga Prokuronova & Karel Štefl - 2006 European Championships

4 3.77%
  • Collision Between Midori Ito & Laetitia Hubert - 1991 World Championships

2 1.89%
  • Tristen Vega & Richard Alexander - 1993 U.S. Nationals

0 0%
  • Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov - 2007 Skate Canada

0 0%
  • Collision Between Adam Rippon & Song Nan - 2012 CoC

1 0.94%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    This is pretty morbid. They all "rank" sad and devastating equally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    I confined the poll to accidents for which there is footage that I could find so that people could see what they are voting for. Sylvia was clever enough to find the Binnebose one. I didn't even know there was any footage of it. There is no footage of the Berezhnaya accident that I am aware of as it was likewise, a training accident. Many of the most serious accidents occur in training/practice, for which there is no footage. That includes the accident to Ekaterina Gordeeva in November 1987 when Grinkov dropped her on her head during practice after catching his blade in the ice. She ended up being hospitalised for a period as a result. Hence, the two questions in the initial post - which was the worst of the 8 listed for which there is footage, and which was the worst ever, whether on the list or not.

Although there is no footage of the Berezhnaya accident, here is a video which details what happened and the aftermath
    Thank you for the link!!!! I loved them soooooo much!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Worst-ever (that I know of): U.S. pair skater Paul Binnebose's terrible head injury (skull fracture, facial nerve damage) in a 1999 practice (his partner, Laura Handy, was okay): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJt-mr8CuE

USA Today's video feature on Paul Binnebose - the accident, his amazing recovery and happy aftermath (December 2000): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfihhAPBEoI
    What I find interesting is that, when ABC did a fluff piece on his accident for the 2000 Nationals, he said he was very pro-helmets. When ABC included him in a fluff piece about accidents/injuries in pair skating 5 years later, during 2005 Nationals he came out as being anti-helmet, saying "helmets will hurt more people than they save." I've always wondered what made him change his mind in 5 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    During either 1992 or 1994 Olympics CBS coverage, there was a fluff piece about Victor Petrenko and about how he was at a comp where a Pairs Team had a bad accident in the Ukraine and he took his own stash of medical supplies, etc., to the hospital for her. He kept his own stash of supplies due to conditions in the country at the time or something like that? Does anyone else remember this story?
    Yes, the piece aired during the 1994 OG, and the accident happened before the 1992 OG. I don't remember the male half of the partnership, but the skater who was injured was Katie Wood. The conditions described were abysmal one needle in the entire hospital, roaches running around the floors and on the beds...

vCash
    Tat/Maxim was the worse IMO. I remember watching that...she hit the ice so hard. Your body's automatic response when you're falling is to throw your hands out to try to brace yourself. Tatiana was still holding Maxim's hands when he threw his hands down to try to break the fall which caused her to hit the ice even harder than she would have if she'd just fallen. I was so scared b/c it took so long for her to move...

Jessica and Bryce were the second worst but the reason I put them second was b/c she was able to move immediately after the accident. Honestly, when I saw that the first time I thought she'd broken her neck...that was terrifying.

Pairs is a dangerous sport...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    What happened to Elena Berezhnaya and Paul Binnebose are worse than any of the poll choices.
    I absolutely agree!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Yes, the piece aired during the 1994 OG, and the accident happened before the 1992 OG. I don't remember the male half of the partnership, but the skater who was injured was Katie Wood. The conditions described were abysmal one needle in the entire hospital, roaches running around the floors and on the beds...
    Yes, her name was Katie Wood. I believe her partner at the time was Todd Reynolds. IIRC, she ended up deaf in one ear because of the accident.

vCash
    I didn't watch the videos, because I really don't want to relive those events I saw. Likewise, I didn't vote, because I feel that ranking injuries is... But this did get me remembering. I remember reading about this injury in synchronized skating, where one skater skated over the arm of another, severing the artery. That's one that really sticks out in my memory.
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=25753

Skating can be a dangerous sport.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Worst-ever (that I know of): U.S. pair skater Paul Binnebose's terrible head injury (skull fracture, facial nerve damage) in a 1999 practice (his partner, Laura Handy, was okay): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJt-mr8CuE

USA Today's video feature on Paul Binnebose - the accident, his amazing recovery and happy aftermath (December 2000): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfihhAPBEoI
    And for those of us who are too wimpy to watch, his wikipedia page that mentions it.
    Last edited by Proustable; 05-10-2013 at 04:33 AM.

vCash
    This is a collision of Adam Rippon and Patrick Chan from Skate Canada 2010

Its not that bad but still Adam ends up going over Patrick and no one gets hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80ouAg4l5Q

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Midori vs "Who"ber(or was that Hoover, the ice cleaner) probably influenced the course of ladies skating the most.

1991 Worlds would have been:

1. Midori
    2. Tonya
    3. Kristi

Or

1. Tonya
    2. Midori
    3. Kristi

if Hoover had not chosen to demonstrate "This is what a speeding Zamboni vs a Word Champion skater looks like."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post
    This is a collision of Adam Rippon and Patrick Chan from Skate Canada 2010

Its not that bad but still Adam ends up going over Patrick and no one gets hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80ouAg4l5Q
    Adam Rippon really needs to watch where he's going!

vCash
    Dube and Davison was not the most impressive, but it was the scariest to me.

Also, I'd add :
    Woetzel&Steuer 1994 Olympics LP
    Faiella&Scali 2007 Euros FD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    if Hoover had not chosen to demonstrate "This is what a speeding Zamboni vs a Word Champion skater looks like."
    Very interesting.

vCash
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Obertas & Palamarchuk had a pretty scary fall at one time. I don't remember which competition it was- it may have been a GP.

Another one: At the 2006 Olympics OD, the Canadian ice dance team had a very hard fall while spinning (why can't I remember their names?)

ETA:Obertas-Palamarchuk accident occurs at the 4:05 mark in this video (2000 worlds LP):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9FAPCvT9pk

Palamarchuk did recover enough to skate with another partner (Chuvaeva) 2 years later.
    Last edited by Vash01; 05-15-2013 at 09:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Obertas & Palamarchuk had a pretty scary fall at one time. I don't remember which competition it was- it may have been a GP.

Another one: At the 2006 Olympics OD, the Canadian ice dance team had a very hard fall while spinning (why can't I remember their names?)
    ETA:Obertas-Palamarchuk accident occurs at the 4:05 mark in this video (2000 worlds LP):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9FAPCvT9pk
    Palamarchuk did recover enough to skate with another partner (Chuvaeva) 2 years later.
    You certainly mean Dubreuil/Lauzon? Yes, it looked terrible, and she was so badly hurt that they had to withdraw, what must have been devastating since they had been contenders for the gold medal....

It's a little mean, because the accidents which had happen in front of the cameras will always be remembered, while the ones which happen during training might even go unnoticed unless absolutely life threatening (or, maybe, will be mentioned in some biography in case the skaters make it big and become famous). There are certianly many young skaters who suffer severe injuries and even have to quit skating due to bad accidents who never get any attention.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    You certainly mean Dubreuil/Lauzon? Yes, it looked terrible, and she was so badly hurt that they had to withdraw, what must have been devastating since they had been contenders for the gold medal....It's a little mean, because the accidents which had happen in front of the cameras will always be remembered, while the ones which happen during training might even go unnoticed unless absolutely life threatening (or, maybe, will be mentioned in some biography in case the skaters make it big and become famous). There are certianly many young skaters who suffer severe injuries and even have to quit skating due to bad accidents who never get any attention.
    Yes, Dubreil-Lauzon. Thanks. I don't believe they had any shot at the OGM however. Navka-Kostomarov, Belbin-Agosto and Denkova-Staviyski were the top teams, not to mention Delobel-Schoenfelder who were also skating very well. They had an outside chance of winning a bronze, if many pieces fell into place for them. I think it was more about competing at the Olympics and getting a top 5 placement. I am sure it was devastating for them to not be able to skate their FD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yes, Dubreil-Lauzon. Thanks. I don't believe they had any shot at the OGM however. Navka-Kostomarov, Belbin-Agosto and Denkova-Staviyski were the top teams, not to mention Delobel-Schoenfelder who were also skating very well. They had an outside chance of winning a bronze, if many pieces fell into place for them. I think it was more about competing at the Olympics and getting a top 5 placement. I am sure it was devastating for them to not be able to skate their FD.
    Of course you are perfectly right. They were, probably, contenders for a medal - but not the gold medal, then. I mixed it up with the worlds, when they came 2nd behind DenStas.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    I agree that all of these accidents are scary.

I also remember Alexander (Sasha) Abt had that accident in Mexico. He had been told he may never walk again...let alone skate.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12