View Poll Results: Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison - 2007 4CC

36 33.96%
  • Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin - 2004 Skate America

61 57.55%
  • Zhang Dan & Zhang Hao - 2006 Olympics

2 1.89%
  • Olga Prokuronova & Karel Štefl - 2006 European Championships

4 3.77%
  • Collision Between Midori Ito & Laetitia Hubert - 1991 World Championships

2 1.89%
  • Tristen Vega & Richard Alexander - 1993 U.S. Nationals

0 0%
  • Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov - 2007 Skate Canada

0 0%
  • Collision Between Adam Rippon & Song Nan - 2012 CoC

1 0.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

There have been many accidents in figure skating, but which of the following 8 was the worst?

1. Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison - 2007 4CC - LP - Jessica Dubé is struck in the face by Davison's skate blade during a SBS camel spin

2. Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin - 2004 Skate America - LP - Marinin loses his balance during an Axel lasso lift and drops Totmianina on her face

3. Zhang Dan & Zhang Hao - 2006 Olympics - LP - Zhang Dan lands and falls awkwardly during a throw quadruple salchow

4. Olga Prokuronova & Karel Štefl - 2006 European Championships - LP - Stefl loses his balance on a lasso lift and drops Prokuronova on to her face

5. Collision Between Midori Ito & Laetitia Hubert - 1991 World Championships

6. Tristen Vega & Richard Alexander - 1993 U.S. Nationals - LP - Alexander losses his balance on a lift and drops Vega onto the ice

7. Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov - 2007 Skate Canada - Petukhov drops Gregory on to her chest during a rotation lift after catching an edge

8. Collision Between Adam Rippon & Song Nan - 2012 CoC

There have been numerous other bad accidents. Which do you think was (1) the worst of the above 8, and (2) the worst ever (whether on the list or not)
    Last edited by Maofan7; 05-08-2013 at 10:41 PM.

vCash
    Worst-ever (that I know of): U.S. pair skater Paul Binnebose's terrible head injury (skull fracture, facial nerve damage) in a 1999 practice (his partner, Laura Handy, was okay): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJt-mr8CuE

USA Today's video feature on Paul Binnebose - the accident, his amazing recovery and happy aftermath (December 2000): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfihhAPBEoI
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-09-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I voted to Totmianina-Marinin.

Bereznaya's accident with first partner...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I voted to Totmianina-Marinin.

Bereznaya's accident with first partner...
    Elena's accident was definitely more serious than T&M's (I voted for them since Elena was not listed). She almost lost her life, and she did lose her ability to speak and walk for sometime.

vCash
    D/D was really bad.

Baiul was almost knocked out of the Olympics! Szewczenko and Baiul collision was bad.

Also the major bump of Sale into Sikharulidze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926UKxoOzl8

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    I immediately thought of Binnebose and Handy. In all the ones mentioned above, everyone recovered eventually. Paul Binnebose never recovered fully, afaik.

vCash
    Out of the ones to vote on - Olga Prokuronova & Karel Štefl - she literally could have died from that accident or been permanently incapacitated. I am surprised she managed to get up and walk away.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Handy & Binnebose or Bereznaya & Shliakov... hands down. But the one I saw happen live and probably scared the bejesus out of me most would have be Candice Didier's horrific fall a few years back at Worlds.

vCash
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Berezhnaya: "Berezhnaya first competed with Oleg Shliakhov for Latvia... While training together in January 1996, she suffered a serious injury, leaving her partly paralyzed and unable to speak. She recovered rapidly and began competing again in November 1996 with new partner, Anton Sikharulidze."
    One of the source articles referenced: http://web.archive.org/web/200509091...e_skati31.html

It was horrifying for me to witness the Totmianina/Marinin accident in person at 2004 Skate America in Pittsburgh - thankfully she recovered quickly from her concussion.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    During either 1992 or 1994 Olympics CBS coverage, there was a fluff piece about Victor Petrenko and about how he was at a comp where a Pairs Team had a bad accident in the Ukraine and he took his own stash of medical supplies, etc., to the hospital for her. He kept his own stash of supplies due to conditions in the country at the time or something like that? Does anyone else remember this story?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Handy & Binnebose or Bereznaya & Shliakov... hands down. But the one I saw happen live and probably scared the bejesus out of me most would have be Candice Didier's horrific fall a few years back at Worlds.
    I confined the poll to accidents for which there is footage that I could find so that people could see what they are voting for. Sylvia was clever enough to find the Binnebose one. I didn't even know there was any footage of it. There is no footage of the Berezhnaya accident that I am aware of as it was likewise, a training accident. Many of the most serious accidents occur in training/practice, for which there is no footage. That includes the accident to Ekaterina Gordeeva in November 1987 when Grinkov dropped her on her head during practice after catching his blade in the ice. She ended up being hospitalised for a period as a result. Hence, the two questions in the initial post - which was the worst of the 8 listed for which there is footage, and which was the worst ever, whether on the list or not.

Although there is no footage of the Berezhnaya accident, here is a video which details what happened and the aftermath
    Last edited by Maofan7; 05-09-2013 at 01:38 AM.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    What happened to Elena Berezhnaya and Paul Binnebose are worse than any of the poll choices.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    During either 1992 or 1994 Olympics CBS coverage, there was a fluff piece about Victor Petrenko and about how he was at a comp where a Pairs Team had a bad accident in the Ukraine and he took his own stash of medical supplies, etc., to the hospital for her. He kept his own stash of supplies due to conditions in the country at the time or something like that? Does anyone else remember this story?
    Yes! Her name was Katie Wood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CANNZ69sGLA

Obertas & Palamarchuk also had a terrible fall at 2000 Worlds.

vCash
    This can't really touch the bad pair accidents, but it was pretty severe and they withdrew following the accident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5UzNkGjxik

Accident at 4:28 or so.

vCash
    I love your posts Maofan!

I think the Dubé/Davison and Totmianina/Marinin accidents will receive the most votes because the footage of them was so vivid, scary, widely available online, repeated on television, and relatively recently viewed. I think many of us held our breaths in fear, especially for Dubé, knowing the kind of head injury Berezhnaya had. There have been a few less well known but more tragic pair injuries.

This piece from ABC back in 1988 highlights the daring acrobatic factor as being part of pair's draw for the athletes.

Piece on the Dangers of Pairs' Skating - 1988 Calgary, Pairs' Short Program

This is impertinent but Todd Waggoner was such an attractive skater. So many of the pair skaters in the 1980s were very classically handsome and sexy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    I immediately thought of Binnebose and Handy. In all the ones mentioned above, everyone recovered eventually. Paul Binnebose never recovered fully, afaik.
    My first thought as well.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Out of those, I think the Dube/Davison one is the worst. It's so scary to me, I can't even watch the video. The Totmianina/Marinin one was pretty bad too.

For worst ever, I'd never heard about the Binnebose one but I think it sounds a bit worse than Berezhnaya's.

One that I remember which hasn't been mentioned is when Marius Siudek dropped Dorota Zagorska out of a lift. I think it was at the '99 Worlds. It wasn't as severe as the D/D or even the T/M incident though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I remember the story. They showed it after the 1992 Olympics, and before the 1994 Olympics. The skater who got injured was named Katie (can't remember her last name). I don't think she competed again, but she survived the accident. Viktor was very helpful to her at that time. The moral of the story was he did something good for her and he won the OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    What happened to Elena Berezhnaya and Paul Binnebose are worse than any of the poll choices.
    My choices, hands down!

vCash
    I haven't submitted any vote yet, and I think I don't want to.

All of these accidents are dreadful for the people involved, so I'd never "rank" them like telling skater A that his accident wasn't as bad as sakter B's, it would simply be rude. Of course, and that goes without saying, an accident that results in a life threatening injury is worse than an accident that doesn't have that impact.
    But anyways, all these incidents meant or still mean ceasures in the lives of the injured, and in extension, in the partners', if they were pairs/couples.

What I think must be considerd is how dreadful, psychologically devastating such incidents must be for the partners who "dropped" the ladies. I set it in quotationmarks because they never drop but lose control for some reason, and of course, all of this accidentally. Most male partners will blame themselves if not being helped with counselling. I remember reading about Maxim Marinin that after the accident with Tatiana, he didn't want to skate anymore.

As one more addition to the pairs' falls, there was the Duchesnays' accident very early in their career which made them quit pairs skating and become ice dancers. Isabelle was in a coma for days after the fall (from a lift), and she might have died, she had suffered a broken skull. The scenes in the movie "La Glace Et Le Feu" about their career give just a faint slight little hint about how devastated Paul was and how it affected his life, too.

Let me add one more, just to mentione it: at the WC 2000 (?) in Nice Albena Denkova collided with another skater during warm-up, with his blade slashing her leg. She was hospitalized and needed surgery, afterwards she had to take painkillers for a long period of time. Although it was not life threatening, it must have been frightening, painful, leaving her and Staviski wondering if they'll be able to go on... - and the other skater with pangs of conscience.

I can only hope for all people involved in such accidents to recover and go on with their lives as best as possible. Therefor, I won't say that one accident was "worse" than some other. But I think raising awareness of the risks of figure skating and pairs skating in particular is absolutely neccessary and analyzing the accidents which had already happened may help to prevent further incidents, hopefully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast