vCash

World Figure Skating Museum & Hall of Fame Photo Tour - Skating Magazine

The World Figure Skating Museum & Hall of Fame is located on the first floor of U.S. Figure Skating's Headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colo. and is the international repository for the sport of figure skating. The only institution of its kind in the world, the Museum is dedicated exclusively to the preservation and interpretation of the history of figure skating. Join us below for a tour of the museum in photos and captions. Thanks to Karen Cover for contributing to this project.

http://skatingmagazineblog.com/author/skatingmagazine/

Last edited by dardar1126; 05-08-2013 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    I've had the pleasure of visiting the museum and hope to return soon.
    It was well worth the trip.

vCash
    I hardly think they should call it the "World" Figure Skating Museum when it's so US-centric.

vCash
    It was begun in the US, apparently, because the ISU had never thought to establish a place to honor skating's history.
    Would you rather the sport have no archive?

They need more space; as they have much more material than then can house/preserve or display.

vCash
    Well, of course I'm happy that the sport has an archive, and certainly I am grateful that someone in the US has thought to start it. But I just think it shouldn't be called the World museum if it's only going to focus on the US.

I'd like to bully the ISU into giving it funding to expand and become a proper World museum, though.

vCash
    Official site is: http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/

Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'd like to bully the ISU into giving it funding to expand and become a proper World museum, though.
    I don't think either bullying or persuasive tactics would work since this doesn't appear to be a priority for the ISU at this time.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-09-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Well, of course I'm happy that the sport has an archive, and certainly I am grateful that someone in the US has thought to start it. But I just think it shouldn't be called the World museum if it's only going to focus on the US.
    From Sylvia's link, the World Museum's home page:

The Hall of Fame includes such distinguished skaters as Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean, Dick Button, Scott Hamilton, Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov, Midori Ito, Sonja Henie, and Katarina Witt.
    Two Americans, five non-Americans (counting the teams as one) listed.

This page points to the international flavor of its print and film collection: http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/Museum_archives.htm

I've been there, but don't really remember if its focus was more US or not - I just remember it being interesting and pleasant. Maybe the pictures being shown in the US's figure skating magazine are more US-centric (which would make sense considering its audience) than the museum itself. Or maybe the museum itself is more US focused, because it is mainly Americans visiting and that's what they want to see, but the Hall of Fame and the archives have a stronger international flavor.

I think its a bit shortsighted to condemn them for not being international enough when you don't actually know what is contained there.

vCash
    I just visited last week (after wanting to visit for many many years and even maybe work there!) Have to say I was slightly underwhelmed... First off, I think they need something outside (a statue perhaps? - the Yama one at the US Olympic Training Center is awesome!). Need more interactive exhibits too - maybe a Kiss & Cry set up and Spin Simulator. Nothing about SOI or Champions, even though they have lots on Ice Follies. Was sad when we ventured downstairs, they hadn't even turned the lights on for the day (and it was almost closing time...). Store was pretty weak too, I was ready to drop some dough! Did like the 1961 tribute and Kwan/Yama/Hamilton costumes on display. As for the Hall of Fame, that was rather sad. Just a bunch of poster-type things on those displays like when you buy a poster in the store. How about some actual plaques for the legends of the sport? Nothing on Katia/Sergei other than the HOF "poster". For such a splashy and high-profile sport, I think they need some more energy into the museum. Also should play the music common in skating. I think they were playing Good Times by Carly Rae Jepsen on a loop...oh well.

vCash
    They lack personnel and money to allow them to showcase the material they have, to best advantage.
    Much of it may never be seen because of that,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Official site is: http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/

I don't think either bullying or persuasive tactics would work since this doesn't appear to be a priority for the ISU at this time.
    Sadly probably at no time.

vCash
    I'm curious; for those of you who have been there, what did the Nancy Kerrigan "Barbie" look like? I'm a Barbie collector and Nancy fan and was really looking forward to that doll after the 1994 Olympics; however, as the link below explains, Nancy's PR blunders after the Games led to Mattel nixing the doll. I was surprised to hear that they had one in the HOF. However, they did use the face mold for the Esmeralda doll from the "Hunchback of Notre Dame" animated movie. A friend of mind made a sparkly skating dress and put it on an Esmeralda doll as a Christmas present, so I did get my Nancy Kerrigan doll in the end!!!!!

http://finalflight.blogspot.com/2010...never-was.html
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist