View Poll Results: Where will Julia Lipnitskaya place at the 2014 Olympics?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st (Gold)

1 1.01%
  • 2nd (Silver)

1 1.01%
  • 3rd (Bronze)

2 2.02%
  • 4th

3 3.03%
  • 5th

5 5.05%
  • 6th - 10th

31 31.31%
  • Outside the top 10

7 7.07%
  • She won't qualify for the Russian Team

42 42.42%
  • Don't Know

7 7.07%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Can Julia Lipnitskaya make the podium at the 2014 Olympics?

New article on Julia Lipnitskaya. Reads:

2012 World junior champion Julia Lipnitskaia is working on new programs and intends to fight [to obtain a place on the] national Olympic team.

“Fortunately, the season is over. I even do not want to remember that entire “infirmary”! But now we know all the weaknesses and how to take control on them. I will consider this past skating year as a respite,” Lipnitskaia said

Speaking of weaknesses, the Russian figure skater highlighted the transitional period and injuries that plagued her during this past season.

“For me, everything is new now. A transitional period lasts not just one year and I just need to learn how to cope with it. I’m getting used to everything: to a healthy diet, to correct workloads and to proper daily schedule. It looks like everything is fine for the moment,” she continued.
    So, can Lipnitskaya improve on last seasons results during 2013/14? Can she make it onto the Russian team for the Olympics and the World Championships? If so, how much of a chance does she have of making it onto the podium at either event?

vCash
    She has a great chance because being age eligible she has a great chance at going to euros which may choose Olympics. Then she could surpass tuktamisheva or sotnikova. Like if tuktamisheva really bombs her Sps or if sotnikova skates like she did on the 2012 gp. So she could totally make the teams and and place top 10 in worlds and Olympics. Her big issue was really her concussion in 2012 and her attempt to add 3/3 in the lp which backfired ans she didn't get them consistent but almost won jr worlds when she went back to 2a/3t/2t and 2a/3t instead of 3lz/3t.

vCash
    Also in the negative column for anyone who might upset the tuktamisheva sotnikova favored duo is a Russian cup final so they could be knocked out! Like leonova knocked out gosviani. So it is going to be sotnikova and tuktamisheva if they have To go through Russian nationals ,euros and Russia cup final or whetever else to get it!!

vCash
    I picked 6-10, but Julia may not even make the Russian Olympic team. Who would have thought even last year that Russia would have just 2 spots in the ladies field in 2014? IMO the strongest jumpers are more likely to make the team than the strongest spinner. So the odds are stacked against Julia unless Liza continues to struggle.

vCash

vCash
    I think making the Olympics will itself be an accomplishment for her. If she does make it, I think she can make top ten but will count on quite an unfortunate event to make top six or higher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post

vCash
    On a cautionary note, many are basing their opinion on the outcome of an injury ravaged season. What is clear is that Julia has enormous potential and should she benefit from an injury free off-season in which she is able to get all her training in, she could well put up a strong challenge. She is one of the most determined and nerveless skaters out there, with a never say die attitude. There are not many skaters you can say that about. Last season, those character traits worked against her as she ended up trying too hard and skated when injured and in no shape to compete. Managed properly and injury free, she could well get back into the kind of form she was in the season before last. What I hope her team works on during the off-season is her PCS. Coaches normally do that during the transition from juniors to seniors, so I think she is likely to get much improved PCS marks next season.

I think Sotnikova is highly likely to make the Russian Olympic team. She seems to have regained her confidence, come through her growth related issues, looks far more self assured, and the momentum is with her. Hence, the fight for the 2nd spot is between Tuk and Julia. Who will get it depends upon which of the two is able to overcome their growth related issues first and the luck of the draw in terms of whether they can remain injury free. Tuk seemed to undergo another growth spurt towards the end of the 2012/13 season, and looked completely all over the place and out of shape. In terms of growth issues and injuries, it really is the luck of the draw and that is what I think it will come down to in terms of Olympic selection
    Last edited by Maofan7; 05-08-2013 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    Isn't Julia going to deal with growth related issues next year? She is younger than Tuk and Sot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Isn't Julia going to deal with growth related issues next year? She is younger than Tuk and Sot.
    I read somewhere that Julia had a growth spurt during the 2012/13 season and that it was that that caused the problems during the second half of the season, along with injury issues

Will Julia have another growth spurt that will cause problems during the 2013/14 season? Who knows. However, she is only 5 days older than Tara Lipinski was at the equivalent stage of the 94-98 quad. As I said, it's the luck of the draw. She could be lucky like Tara, or she undergo body changes/growth spurts that will completely wreck her season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    I read somewhere that Julia had a growth spurt during the 2012/13 season and that it was that that caused the problems during the second half of the season, along with injury issues

Will Julia have another growth spurt that will cause problems during the 2013/14 season? Who knows. However, she is only 5 days older than Tara Lipinski was at the equivalent stage of the 94-98 quad. As I said, it's the luck of the draw. She could be lucky like Tara, or she undergo body changes/growth spurts that will completely wreck her season.
    Well Tara was fortunately enough to compete at the Olympics with a pre-pubescent body. She didn't go through puberty until after Nagano. Julia is in a transitional period right now and has grown quite a bit in the last two years but I seriously doubt if she's finish growing/filling out. If she experiences another growth spurt/weight gain next year (similar to what Liza T and Adelina went through this year) it may take her some time to adjust...and she won't have time to be off her game next year if she wants to earn one of those spots.

I like Julia's determination and I think she has a lot of potential. I hope to see some improvement from her next season especially in the performance aspects of her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    On a cautionary note, many are basing their opinion on the outcome of an injury ravaged season. What is clear is that Julia has enormous potential and should she benefit from an injury free off-season in which she is able to get all her training in, she could well put up a strong challenge. She is one of the most determined and nerveless skaters out there, with a never say die attitude. There are not many skaters you can say that about. Last season, those character traits worked against her as she ended trying too hard and skated when injured and in no shape to compete. Managed properly and injury free, she could well get back into the kind of form she was in the season before last. What I hope her team works on during the off-season is her PCS. Coaches normally do that during the transition from juniors to seniors, so I think she is likely to get much improved PCS marks next season.

I think Sotnikova is highly likely to make the Russian Olympic team. She seems to have regained her confidence, come through her growth related issues, looks far more self assured, and the momentum is with her. Hence, the fight for the 2nd spot is between Tuk and Julia. Who will get it depends upon which of the two is able to overcome their growth related issues first and the luck of the draw in terms of whether they can remain injury free. Tuk seemed to undergo another growth spurt towards the end of the 2012/13 season, and looked completely all over the place and out of shape. In terms of growth issues and injuries, it really is the luck of the draw and that is what I think it will come down to in terms of Olympic selection
    It doesn't matter what size Liza is or what she is going through physically the short program issue had her behind Leonova when she was totally fine at 2013 worlds. And it doesn't even matter what her condition was at 2013 even if she wasn't totally fine because what caused her to lose gold at Russian nationals in 2009 and 2010 and miss GPF medals in 2011 and 2012? The short program. So no matter what physical shape Liza is in the short program of hers is JUlia's greatest hope of making the Olympic team. Julia has never had such bad short programs except like once and she was injured and pulled out of those jr nationals or something. Julia or Leonova or Makarova and viritually anyone has the potential to beat Liza in a SP. Of course the only answer is Yes of course Julia can make the team and she has to be favored over Liza except if she erases her SP problems.

vCash
    I think she will make the Russian Olympic team bumping one of Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva off (probably Tuktamysheva looking at them now). At the Games itself she will place in the 5th-7th range.

vCash
    A year ago I was thinking Lipnitskaya would challenge for gold. But with Kim and Kostner back, Asada piling up wins, and strong seasons from Suzuki, Murakami, Gold and Osmond, and Julia practically losing a year to puberty, it's hard to see a path to the podium for her this quad. I do expect (maybe hope is more accurate) she'll make the Russan team, and I voted a fifth-place finish for her, but she will have to have a really strong season for that to happen. Fingers crossed.

I do hope her team gets two good programs for her this year.

vCash
    It isn't about the jumps. The jumps are a given. No one is going anywhere without solid jumps. The key though is PCS and she is the most disadvantaged in this area out of all 3 of Lip, Tuk and Sot.

vCash
    I think Sotnikova and Tuktymasheva will be going. If Julia does go, she will probably be somewhere from 10th-15th. Her skating is still juniorish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It isn't about the jumps. The jumps are a given. No one is going anywhere without solid jumps. The key though is PCS and she is the most disadvantaged in this area out of all 3 of Lip, Tuk and Sot.
    Agreed 100%. Love her but IMHO she is still so juniorish in her presentation. I can't see the judges placing her above 6-10th place if she makes the Olympic team (and everyone skates to their full potential).
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I don't think she can make podium, But I was a little surprised that "She won't qualify for the Russian Team" has got the most number of votes.

In my opinion, Three Russian girls have similar possibility to qualify for Russian team. can not predict in particular...
    I dont think Especially she has lower chance than Tukt and Sot. So I voted for "6th - 10th"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I don't think she'd be at a disadvantage to tuktamisheva who is totally at The bottom of senior pcs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I don't think she'd be at a disadvantage to tuktamisheva who is totally at The bottom of senior pcs.
    Tuk's PCS was 61 in the FS at Euros and her FS score there was a highest by a lady all this season before Worlds so idk. She can score really well, it's just a question of delivering. I think Julia will make the team but I think Adelina is more likely off the team than Liza, Adelina's jumps need a lot of work and she doesn't seem to be very confident and I'm not convinced her multiple bombings over the past couple seasons were due to puberty/growth changes so much as a mental block. Plus she desperately needs better programs, this season's FS was a hot mess. Adelina is very talented for sure, but I think if she makes it big, it will be later on, I think she can overcome her issues and be dominant, but not in time for next season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast