Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Yu Na Kim's dream of a 2nd straight Olympic Gold might well happen but if anyone is going to foil it I believe it would be Adelina Sotnikova. Sotnikova has many factors going for her that make her a very dangerous threat to Kim, and I believe her biggest threat:
    Haha.... This seems you underestimate Carolina or Mao or even Wagner and Suzuki. They have more potential to win Kim YuNa than her.
    Last edited by karlon; 05-08-2013 at 06:46 AM.

vCash
    And I think Tukt has the most potential among Russian girls. She has textbook jumps, and great 3-3.
    I saw an one Russian article a few months ago. her coach said that She was came to WC with a purpose to win Kim Yuna.
    Last edited by karlon; 05-08-2013 at 06:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    This seems to really bother you since you bring it up quite often.

How do you figure the younger girls got a late start before Sochi?
    All of them will only have one Worlds appearance under their belt before the Olympics unlike Yuna and Mao who had been to Worlds 3 times and been on the Senior GP circuit for 5 seasons before the Vancouver Olympics. So they had more experience by far then someone like Gold or Osmond who only went senior this season a year before the Olympics.

vCash
    I think no one should take this thread serious, since it rather looks like it was meant to be some kind of joke. But at least it already got some bot-comments up, yatta

Anyway, I love Adelina, but I doubt she'll be a threat to Yuna next season. Maybe, if she gets some of her faults out over the summer and somehow gets more consistent with her skating, she might be a medal contender - since Mao and Caro aren't exactly clean most of the time. But even that is a maybe.

That said, I really wished people would stop hyping the young girls up so much, or better to say having such high expactations. Adelina, Liza, Gracie, Kaetlyn & everyone else are still young and didn't get a lot of experience by now. All of them can become great champions, but probably not by 2014. And that's fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post
    And I think Tukt has the most potential among Russian girls. She has textbook jumps, and great 3-3.
    I saw an one Russian article a few months ago. her coach said that She was came to WC with a purpose to win Kim Yuna.
    All coaches give the Rah-Rah pitch for their skaters. Tuktamysheva may have correct jumps, but her speed, stroking and ice coverage are way below what they should be, and her presentation isn't exactly sparkling. She gets consistently lower PCS scores than Sotnikova and Leonova, let alone Kim's.

vCash
    Personally, I agree with Jammers. All of these newbies are still that: newbies. This was Adelina's first appearance at worlds and only her 2nd season as a senior. None of these girls (Adelina, Liza T, Gracie, Kaetlyn, Zijun, Julia, etc.) have the experience or reputation necessary to compete with the top names and that's not their fault. Even if by chance Adelina goes out and nails all of her jumps she still wouldn't beat Yu-Na b/c Adelina doesn't command the type of PCS that Yu-Na does (or Carolina or Mao).

The best any of these girls can do is to skate their best in Sochi without any kind of thought of getting a medal. That will set them up heading into worlds that year and give them the boost they need heading into the 2014-2015 season which will be critical b/c there will be a massive change in the landscape following the Sochi games. Nearly all of the top names/holdovers will be gone and the top spots will be up for grabs.

Personally I'm getting tired of the Yu-Na/Carolina/Mao triumvirate. I'm ready for some new stars to take center stage and start a some new rivalries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Personally, I agree with Jammers. All of these newbies are still that: newbies. This was Adelina's first appearance at worlds and only her 2nd season as a senior. None of these girls (Adelina, Liza T, Gracie, Kaetlyn, Zijun, Julia, etc.) have the experience or reputation necessary to compete with the top names and that's not their fault. Even if by chance Adelina goes out and nails all of her jumps she still wouldn't beat Yu-Na b/c Adelina doesn't command the type of PCS that Yu-Na does (or Carolina or Mao).

The best any of these girls can do is to skate their best in Sochi without any kind of thought of getting a medal. That will set them up heading into worlds that year and give them the boost they need heading into the 2014-2015 season which will be critical b/c there will be a massive change in the landscape following the Sochi games. Nearly all of the top names/holdovers will be gone and the top spots will be up for grabs.

Personally I'm getting tired of the Yu-Na/Carolina/Mao triumvirate. I'm ready for some new stars to take center stage and start a some new rivalries.
    Obviously ZIjun Li got 4th in the free skate and so could any of the first timers. It just so happened to be ZIjun Li and shows that there is no reason to say there time is not now. If she hadn't have done poorly in the SP then she could have done even better. Any of them could be right in there for a medal and do well and be better than 4th and reach the caliber of skate that ZIjun Li had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    All of them will only have one Worlds appearance under their belt before the Olympics unlike Yuna and Mao who had been to Worlds 3 times and been on the Senior GP circuit for 5 seasons before the Vancouver Olympics. So they had more experience by far then someone like Gold or Osmond who only went senior this season a year before the Olympics.
    Whose fault is that?!
    How old were Yuna and Mao at their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Worlds?
    What level were Gold and Osmond at 2, 3, years ago?
    Last edited by demetriosj; 05-10-2013 at 10:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Who's fault is that?! How old were Yuna and Mao at their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Worlds?
    Why does blame enter into it?

vCash
    Really? Not Mao or Carolina? Even Gracie and Zijun are looking stronger than Sotnikova these days, and Osmond on a good day can beat her too. Sotnikova has tremendous POTENTIAL but she's not there yet. 3-3s are not consistent or consistently rotated, she still flutzes, 3f is unstable, and her spin positions are very difficult but sometimes she struggles to control them as well. I see her as a skater who is likely to reach her peak later in life like Irina.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Sotnikova has tremendous POTENTIAL but she's not there yet. 3-3s are not consistent or consistently rotated, she still flutzes, 3f is unstable, and her spin positions are very difficult but sometimes she struggles to control them as well. I see her as a skater who is likely to reach her peak later in life like Irina.
    I agree that she has great POTENTIAL, but She is unstable in many part.

vCash
    as of now, umm Nooooooo...
    maybe 2018 will be her time

vCash
    As I said in the JL thread, a while back I had picked Lipnitskaya to contend for gold, but over the past year she has struggled and Sotnikova has started to come into her own as a senior. (I suppose I am the only person in the world who loved her Aguilera FP this year but that's another matter.) I definitely don't see Adelina as Yu Na's main rival. I don't think anybody can beat Yu Na except herself. But I could see Adelina making a big leap forward this season and being a surprise medalist. She is unbelievably gifted and her credentials are better than any other 16-17-year-old lady right now. I would love to see her pull it off. Likely? I guess not. Possible? Oh yeah!

vCash
    All the young ladies have a shot.
    adelina's pc improved during thr skating season as well as gravie, zijun.who is to saythey wont improve over the summer and during the season.

vCash
    http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view8/466...iul-diva-o.gif
    Oksana is crying with laughter at this assumption that Sotnikova can even come close to Kim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Obviously ZIjun Li got 4th in the free skate and so could any of the first timers. It just so happened to be ZIjun Li and shows that there is no reason to say there time is not now. If she hadn't have done poorly in the SP then she could have done even better. Any of them could be right in there for a medal and do well and be better than 4th and reach the caliber of skate that ZIjun Li had.
    The discrepancy in PCS is the main reason I say the younger girls will have to wait their turn. Even if Zijun had delivered a strong SP, she wouldn't have been close to the top 3 in terms of PCS and that would have made the difference. But to be fair Zijun's skating doesn't deserve the type of PCS the top ladies get...maybe in a year or so. With the landscape as it is, it will take a meltdown/collapse from one of the top 3 in order for one of these new girls to sneak onto the podium in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    The discrepancy in PCS is the main reason I say the younger girls will have to wait their turn. Even if Zijun had delivered a strong SP, she wouldn't have been close to the top 3 in terms of PCS and that would have made the difference. But to be fair Zijun's skating doesn't deserve the type of PCS the top ladies get...maybe in a year or so. With the landscape as it is, it will take a meltdown/collapse from one of the top 3 in order for one of these new girls to sneak onto the podium in Sochi.
    While I agree with you, it's worth mentioning that Osmond beat one of the three favourites in the short program at Worlds this year and did so with PCS worse than Leonova.

vCash
    In terms of Adelina her UTRS are maybe with the back end of her 3/3 double axel/3toe. So in a sense I think she's in better shape than most give her credit for. It seems like her landings are often jerky maybe that's why she has 3/3 issues... (I am no technique expert whatsoever.)

vCash
    I will sum up the ladies situation for next year. Kostner and Asada can be threats to Kim and Suzuki, Gold, Wagner, Li, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaia, Osmond, and Murakami can be threats to Kostner and Asada, but ONLY Kostner and Asada can be a threat to Kim, nobody else. Think of Asada and Kostner like a bridge between Kim and that large group. The bridge can possibly touch Kim, and that group can possibly grab and touch the bridge, but the people on one side of the bridge cannot touch what is one the other side of the bridge. The gap is too far away.

Kim is way too consistent to make enough mistakes for a Russian, an American, an old Japanese lady (eg Suzuki or Ando), or someone else to beat her. She isnt perfect and has bad competitions sometimes, but even her bad competitions were never bad enough for her to lose to anyone besides Asada, Kostner, and a prime Ando in the last 6 years. That is not going to change next season. Maybe if she goes past 2014 people like Sotnikova or others can improve enough to be a threat.

vCash
    Barring a disaster on Kim's part....as it stands now I agree with JJ. Kostner and Asada can touch her, but the rest cannot. The only other skater I can see pulling up to that top group is Wagner if she shows a lot of improvement and gets 3-3's in the programs. After that we have Suzuki and Murakami who I believe can be podium threats, and maybe a couple others but we will have to see who brings it starting next season. I would not put my money on the Russians, personally.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast