Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    239
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Sotnikova- biggest threat to Kim's dream of 2nd olympic Gold

    Yu Na Kim's dream of a 2nd straight Olympic Gold might well happen but if anyone is going to foil it I believe it would be Adelina Sotnikova. Sotnikova has many factors going for her that make her a very dangerous threat to Kim, and I believe her biggest threat:

    -Olympics on home ice.
    -9th at pre Olympic Worlds, same as Shizuka at the pre Turin Olympic Worlds.
    -Very powerful jumps with great technique and triple-triple combinations. Does all types of triples unlike Kim.
    -Very strong spins.
    -Tremendous presentation.
    -Great basic skating skills and speed and power.

    Most importantly she seems to be gaining the consistency to become the Champion people have long predicted her to become. Her performances at WTT, especialy her SP, showed she is in the right direction in that regard and will probably continue to do so. I am not outright predicdting she will beat Kim for the Olympic Gold, but I think she is her biggest, and possibly only threat. Kostner is too inconsistent, even though she has greatly improved her consistency it is still not enough to do clean competitions which she needs for any chance vs Kim. Mao just has too much question marks when she attempts a very hard jump layout, but she has no chance vs Kim without one.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,297
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    Arakawa may have bombed in 2005 but won in 2004!

    Sotnikova doesn't have good technique on jumps. With urs and Flutz and flip problems all the time. Big does not equal technique. Tuktamisheva has good technique on every jump.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Poor Mao Poor Kostner

    I like Adelina much more than Liza, I enjoyed her LP at Worlds just behind Yuna's and Mao's, and agree with you she has very good presentation, but I truly don't know how can you put her too high like this? Let alone Yuna, but I bet two Mao & Caro will must have a HUGE BOMB to let Adelina above them

    Very powerful jumps with great technique and triple-triple combinations. Does all types of triples unlike Kim.
    I don't agree with this! I watched her this year programs many times, I liked almost all but her jumps they were just so so especially a landing, absolutely not clean, very shaky. Jumps are the only thing I like Liza's more than hers

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    132
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    At this time sotnikova vs kim?

    katarina witt vs kim
    kwan vs kim
    ando vs kim
    Osmond vs Kim
    sotnikova vs kim
    .
    .
    .
    Who's next turn?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    The 'great technique' on jumps is what I don't think she has. Her lutz and flip are rather scary to me, she URs, and for me those are some of the hardest things to fix. So, no she's not the biggest threat to Kim, that would still be Kostner, followed Asada. I don't think her presentation is that great, rather it can be very good , but for the most part it's uneven (parts of a program skated well, others, not so much). I'd put Gold (better jumps, skates 'big', improving presentation) and Li (complete package, albeit a small one) ahead of Adelina.

    I do think there will be a PCS bump skating for the host country. I'm just not so sure either Adelina or Liza (better jumps but slow, small skating) will be able to capitalize on it to the point of medaling.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    99
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    I dont like Sotnikova's skating. Her programs are often awful and artisticaly blah, and her jumps are fugly and not that strong. Even if she skated clean she wouldnt impress me nearly as much as Osmond or others on a good day.
    What happened to the same poster?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver, USA
    Posts
    2,254
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    0
    Patrick Chan VS. Yuna Kim?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    132
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    Patrick Chan VS. Yuna Kim?
    How about Plushenko?

    Title: Who is more like jumping machine?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,297
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    What happened to the same poster?
    Maybe this is devils advocate based on responses to his bashings?

    But it's so true that Adelina and Liza or Julia more likely won't be able to go from 9 and 10 or not at worlds to being near the podium in Sochi. So it's in Russia? So what? They have huge problems.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Torontorontorontorontoronto
    Posts
    403
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It is funny to see all these threads whose title includes "vs. Yu-Na".

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What’s next? Suguri in her early 20’s vs Kim at 2013? Or, who’s likely to win at Sochi: Chan vs Kim?

    All these J-bots and fake K-bots are on a rampage. I’ve never seen a long-time Yu-Na fans in this forum beginning a poll “who’s the best,” “who’s better,” or “what could’ve been.” I can’t recall even one long-time Yu-Na fan in this forum vehemently saying that Kim is better than anyone else regardless of one’s times.

    Their propagation this time around: creating controversies among the fans of the greats: be it Kwan vs Kim, Witt vs Kim, or even, Coolege or Henie vs Kim!

    This forum is a mess and missing good mediation from the admins when it comes to controlling those pesky posters with multi-ids and a single purpose.

    They don't have respect for their own favorite or how she/they would feel about her/their fans going on with these bashing against the winner of them all. How egotistical and non-caring, short of proud, patient, and supporting fans. Poor Asada.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Okay, now, we know Sotnikova has bots.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Okay, now, we know Sotnikova has bots.
    I seriously doubt it. At least re what this thread was intended and going for!
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 05-07-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: grammar

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The fact that she was 9th at this year's worlds has no significance. Just because Arakawa was 9th and then got gold at the Olympics doesn't mean that also will apply to Sotnikova, where is the logic in that? Did the 9th place lady at the 2009 Worlds win a medal at the 2010 Olympics? I don't think so.. pretty sure that wasn't Kim, Asada or Rochette!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    I don't think Sotnikova is there yet. I hope she develops into a great champion, but it's not going to happen in 2014.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,710
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Between the younger girls getting a late start before the Sochi Olympics and the fact that most of the top skaters from the 2010 Olympics will be back i don't see anyone but a veteran being on the podium. Let's face it when is the last time the Gold and Silver medalist from the previous Olympics come back to compete in the next one?

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sotnikova isn't even a lock for the Olympic team at this point - two spots, lotta contenders. But even if she was, I disagree with your premise that Sotnikova's the biggest threat to Kim in Sochi.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Between the younger girls getting a late start before the Sochi Olympics and the fact that most of the top skaters from the 2010 Olympics will be back i don't see anyone but a veteran being on the podium. Let's face it when is the last time the Gold and Silver medalist from the previous Olympics come back to compete in the next one?
    This seems to really bother you since you bring it up quite often.

    How do you figure the younger girls got a late start before Sochi?

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sleep in heavenly peace, my BH
    Posts
    11,831
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3986
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    The fact that she was 9th at this year's worlds has no significance. Just because Arakawa was 9th and then got gold at the Olympics doesn't mean that also will apply to Sotnikova, where is the logic in that? Did the 9th place lady at the 2009 Worlds win a medal at the 2010 Olympics? I don't think so.. pretty sure that wasn't Kim, Asada or Rochette!
    Sarah Meier was 9th at 2009 Worlds, 15th in Vancouver and didn't qualify for the FS at 2010 Worlds. Her best Olympic finish was 8th in 2006, and her best World finish was 6th in 2006 and 2008. However, she won Euros in 2011 and Euro silver in 2007 and 2008.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I dont even see Sotnikova on the podium ??? I dont see her any higher than 5th

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •