Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    My ex-husband's 911 call and the 911 operator's instructions to him saved my life. I really believe it's just like anything in life. There are good operators and bad operators, and even the good ones have bad days. But having a bad day as a 911 operator could have far more serious consequences than the average job.

More than anything, this story makes me angry ... angry at the perpetrators of such a horror, angry at the cops, angry at the neighbors (even though they may have done nothing wrong). I know I should feel happy that these women are still alive, and I certainly AM happy they're alive, but all I can do now is feel angry. I would NOT be a neutral juror in this case!

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    More than anything, this story makes me angry ... angry at the perpetrators of such a horror, angry at the cops, angry at the neighbors (even though they may have done nothing wrong). I know I should feel happy that these women are still alive, and I certainly AM happy they're alive, but all I can do now is feel angry. I would NOT be a neutral juror in this case!
    I heard several of the people from that neighborhood express very mixed feelings -- happiness that those three young women were now free but also shame that it happened in their neighborhood and that they were not aware of it to intervene much earlier.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I know Charles Ramsey (the dude who helped save Amanda) said any reward should go to the women but maybe McDonalds could give him a commercial spot. Mickey D’s already targets urban communities so it would fit right in.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    ^^Twitter - 05/07/13^^:

McDonald's Corp. ‏@McDonaldsCorp 23h
    We salute the courage of Ohio kidnap victims & respect their privacy. Way to go Charles Ramsey- we'll be in touch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I know Charles Ramsey (the dude who helped save Amanda) said any reward should go to the women but maybe McDonalds could give him a commercial spot. Mickey D’s already targets urban communities so it would fit right in.
    I hope he gets something from someone. He mentioned that money problems had previously kept him up at night, so he's clearly not well off.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I suspect McDonalds might think a commercial would appear to capitalize on the victim's horror, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of corporate award (with a financial reward attached) or at least an awful lot of free hamburgers. I heard that he wanted any rewards to go to the victims and I was even more impressed by his behavior in this.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I suspect McDonalds might think a commercial would appear to capitalize on the victim's horror, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of corporate award (with a financial reward attached) or at least an awful lot of free hamburgers. I heard that he wanted any rewards to go to the victims and I was even more impressed by his behavior in this.
    My gut reaction is to agree that a commercial is not the way to go, and I also think a reward isn't quite right either. In theory, he did what any good citizen and neighbour should do, and I'd hate for people to think they should only help others if there's some monetary gain involved.

But I do like the idea of giving him and his family some sort of citizenship award if they have one, and certainly all the burgers and fries they want

vCash
    Charles Ramsey did what anyone (or most people) would do so in that sense he isn't heroic. He didn't go into a burning building or jump into a lake to rescue someone out of a sinking car. But how he has handled himself afterwards has impressed me very much - from taking Amanda into his home & calling 911 & making her feel safe to refusing a reward. But his town should certainly give him some kind of citizenship award & I think he would be great on the talk show circuit. He & Ellen would be a scream together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Charles Ramsey did what anyone (or most people) would do so in that sense he isn't heroic. He didn't go into a burning building or jump into a lake to rescue someone out of a sinking car. But how he has handled himself afterwards has impressed me very much - from taking Amanda into his home & calling 911 & making her feel safe to refusing a reward. But his town should certainly give him some kind of citizenship award & I think he would be great on the talk show circuit. He & Ellen would be a scream together.
    I agree. I had a similar discussion with my mom last night. Mr. Ramsey is admirable for taking action, and for not thinking it was none of his business.

But I think people use the term "hero" too often and too loosely these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Charles Ramsey did what anyone (or most people) would do so in that sense he isn't heroic.
    I agree with the word admirable, but probably not heroic. However, I'm not sure most people would do anything- too often people just go about their own business and don't go an extra effort to help people in need, especially in a situation described as "I thought it was a domestic violence sort of thing", neighbors are heard screaming, and people ignore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I agree with the word admirable, but probably not heroic. However, I'm not sure most people would do anything- too often people just go about their own business and don't go an extra effort to help people in need, especially in a situation described as "I thought it was a domestic violence sort of thing", neighbors are heard screaming, and people ignore.
    Very true.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I would tend to disagree on the neighbor not being a hero. Yes, in a civilized and decent society, it would just be what anyone else would do; however, it seems more and more in the U.S., that is not the world we live in. People are (speaking generally) very self-centered, and don't really go out of their way to help each other out; I am willing to use the word "hero" for someone who goes above and beyond, like Mr. Ramsey did, when so many people would have just ignored the whole situation.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Wait a minute, press conference, Ariel Castro charged with 4 counts total of I believe 3 counts of rape and one charge of kidnapping (that doesn't make sense, shouldn't he be charged with kidnapping all three), BUT NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING charged against his two brothers. I am ???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Wait a minute, press conference, Ariel Castro charged with 4 counts total of I believe 3 counts of rape and one charge of kidnapping (that doesn't make sense, shouldn't he be charged with kidnapping all three), BUT NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING charged against his two brothers. I am ???
    I'm guessing (hoping) that since the investigation is just in the beginning stages, that further charges will follow, including charges against the other two brothers. Scum, all of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    I'm guessing (hoping) that since the investigation is just in the beginning stages, that further charges will follow, including charges against the other two brothers. Scum, all of them.
    I hope you are right. It makes no sense at all that only one of the three was charged.

After the girls/women tell their stories, it will be clear what happened and the other two would be charged too, I think.

vCash
    Twitter:

Salon.com ‏@Salon 13m
    Cleveland kidnapping hero Charles Ramsey revealed as serial domestic abuser http://slnm.us/vP0oqVu

vCash
    That is a great example as to why many people are hesitant to help others. Him being convicted of domestic violence doesn't take away from what he did. I don't want to excuse what he was convicted of 10 years ago, but he didn't ask to be hurled into the spotlight. He shouldn't be put on trial of public opinion just for helping a woman in need.

vCash
    That was four counts of rape and 3 of kidnapping.

The other two have small misdemeanor charges which will be addressed in court tomorrow. And I hope they can hold them, otherwise I fear that they might scoot.
    Last edited by Lacey; 05-08-2013 at 11:46 PM.

vCash
    Michelle Knight's story kills me. The other two cases received significant attention, and it seems like those girls have at least some family to go back to. But Knight's own brother didn't know she had gone missing and she was not close to her mother. I hope she gets the support and help she needs.

vCash
    Apparently America's Most Wanted did an interview with Arlene Castro. Who described herself at the time as Gina's best friend, and admits to being the last one to talk to her. Arlene is the daughter of Ariel Castro Gina's kidnapper. This link stuns me.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/loc...e-gina-dejesus

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast