Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

vCash

3 women abducted as teens a decade ago found alive in Cleveland; 3 brothers arrested

Cleveland Plain Dealer article/coverage: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...rt_maj-story-1
    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Long-missing Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight have been found alive.

Berry called police Monday afternoon and frantically told a dispatcher that she was alive and free after being kidnapped 10 years ago and held captive in a house on Seymour Avenue on the city's West Side. DeJesus was with her.

A third woman, Michelle Knight, who has been missing since 2002, was also found at the house. Witnesses said a child, estimated at 8 to 10 years old, also was removed from the house by police.

Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus found alive - family and friends react
    Family and friends of Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus react outside MetroHealth Medical Center as they gather after hearing that the two and another woman were found alive after missing ten years.

"We've confirmed it's them," a detective said. "They are alive and safe."

Berry, now 27, DeJesus, 23, and Knight, 30, were taken to MetroHealth Medical Center. The FBI and police will interview the women when they are discharged, the detective said. Hospital officials said the three women and the child were in fair condition.

Police arrested the owner of the house, Ariel Castro, 52, who had lived in the house since 1992. Records show he was arrested for domestic violence in 1993, but a grand jury declined to indict him.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This is an incredible story...reminds me of Jaycee Dugard's story out in California. As you recall Jaycee was abducted at age twelve and held for eighteen years; she also had children in captivity (two daughters). Apparently this little girl is six years old and the daughter of Amanda Berry. The details of their lives in captivity will no doubt be chilling.

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Just read the news. Unbelievable.

vCash
    Amazing good news story this morning!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/women-missi...5.html#iMIMexi

Neighbour Charles Ramsay heard her screaming, tried to get her out through the door but could not pull it open.

So he kicked the bottom and she crawled through "carrying a little girl".

Ms Berry went into a nearby home and called police, begging them to come as soon as they could, "before he gets back".
    Reporting that one of the brothers owned the house where the girls had been held captive Ariel Castro and he is believed to have been a school bus driver in the area.
    Last edited by skatefan; 05-07-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Cheers to the neighbor who helped them escape and called the police
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

From the Bloc
    vCash
    This is wonderful news, but there is one thing that concerns me is the false hope it might give to countless other people whose children or other loved ones remain missing. An outcome like this is very rare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Cheers to the neighbor who helped them escape and called the police
    I just watched a video interview of the neighbor. He's a hoot.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I think the one missing persons case that still sends chills through me after all these years is Johnny Gosch

vCash
    I am so happy for the family!

vCash
    Wow...what an incredible story. Thankfully there was a neighbor that was able to help them escape from that nightmare...It's devestating that these women had to spend over a decade held captive by these monsters. I'm not sure I want to read the details of what they went through as I'm sure it's horrfying. The silver lining is that they're safe now.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

3 women abducted as teens a decade ago found alive in Cleveland; 3 brothers arr

Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I think the one missing persons case that still sends chills through me after all these years is Johnny Gosch
    Fascinating. This would make one heck of a movie. I wonder if the mom really did talk to her son, if she made it up or if it was a cruel prank.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Twitter:

Slate ‏@Slate 1h
    Ohio kidnapping suspect's son wrote an article on one of the missing teens for a community paper: http://slate.me/15yZ22T

vCash
    So happy that these women were found alive and another case of you never really know anyone. But how come there is so little information about the third victim Michele Knight?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    So happy that these women were found alive and another case of you never really know anyone. But how come there is so little information about the third victim Michele Knight?
    My guess it that it's probably because there wasn't a whole lot of publicity about her disappearance, in contrast to the other two who went missing. Michelle Knight's family apparently thought that she had gone away of her own accord (because of what police told them) and while they did try to track her down, it wasn't the sort of massive ongoing search as for the other two (who were younger (both minors) when they were taken -- 16 or 17 and 14, vs. 19 or 20 for Michelle who was legally an adult).
    Last edited by skatingfan5; 05-07-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: correct ages
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash

RE: # 14

I guess I can understand that because I must admit when this story first broke, the first thing that crossed my mind was; " Oh no not another Brenda Heist story". But still tragic all the same that her story did not get as much attention. At least she is home now and safe.

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 18m
    Nine years ago, Cleveland police were at Ariel Castro's home where three women were being held captive http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...were-held?lite

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:
    The police went to the house, but no one was apparently home (at least no one came to the door). Since the complaint against Castro (leaving behind a child from his bus) didn't go further, they never went back. Those poor women. I think that this was just a couple months before the third girl was taken, so if they had found the two already there, the third one wouldn't have even been taken. And judging by the time line, Amanda Berry wouldn't have gotten pregnant, much less have to give birth to her daughter (fathered by one of the brothers, I would assume). What a sad missed opportunity -- just like in the Jaycee Dugard case.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    When I first heard this yesterday, Jaycee Dugard immediately came to my mind. What a horrible thing to happen to these young ladies! It's hard to imagine what kind of fear must have been instilled in them, that they were unable to escape for 10 years! After hearing these stories, I feel that people need to look out for each other- their neighbors, any suspicious behavior, etc. It's hard to hide anything for 10 years and there jerks were able to do that to their innocent victims.

vCash
    Saw a report that said they found a name of another women written on the basement wall with "rest in peace" scribbled near it. So there may be another abducted woman involved. Also apparently the women had at least five pregnancies during their captivity, with most ending in miscarriage.

The daughter of one of the captors apparently is serving time in prison for trying to murder her daughter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Saw a report that said they found a name of another women written on the basement wall with "rest in peace" scribbled near it. So there may be another abducted woman involved. Also apparently the women had at least five pregnancies during their captivity, with most ending in miscarriage.
    Where did you see this report. If true .

The daughter of one of the captors apparently is serving time in prison for trying to murder her daughter.
    I'd read that earlier today -- it said she had tried to slash her baby's throat.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast