Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Krakow sounds very interesting. I was thinking that Auschwitz would be too difficult to handle emotionally.
    I knew it would be for me as well. So rather than go there and sob all day, I went to see the salt mines.

vCash
    Another question- was it easy to find English speaking people in Poland- and tour bus guides?

vCash
    I didn't haven any trouble finding English speaking people or guides.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    In Poland everybody in the tourist areas speaks English. Hotel clerks, tour guides, ticket agents, wait staff, museum staff, blackjack dealers, bartenders. Tiny little train stations out in the sticks are a different story, but you're not headed for the sticks so you'll be fine with English.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I am having a tough time finding reasonably priced (and timed) flights between Krakow & Wroclaw. I was thinking of taking the Auschwitz tour from Krakow (after much thinking, it's history), but that created a triangle - Warsaw, Krakow, Wroclaw. I may just try to get a one day tour from Wroclaw to Auschwitz & if possible Krakow too. My time is very limited so I don't really want to take the train (plus the comments here about those toilets scare me).

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Here's one Auschwitz tour from Wroclaw that I found just to give you an idea of time consumption and pricing. It's an full-day excursion, and the price of the transportation and tour guiding does not include the cost of admission to Auschwitz. The ratio of zloty to American dollars is roughly 3:1 so 300 zlotych is about 100 dollars.

You'll have to dig into the website yourself, the link doesn't take you straight to the Auschwitz tour so when you go in through the English speaking channel look for the "Tours" link in the upper right corner and it will be in there.

http://www.wroclawsilesiatours.com/
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Here's one Auschwitz tour from Wroclaw that I found just to give you an idea of time consumption and pricing. It's an full-day excursion, and the price of the transportation and tour guiding does not include the cost of admission to Auschwitz. The ratio of zloty to American dollars is roughly 3:1 so 300 zlotych is about 100 dollars.

You'll have to dig into the website yourself, the link doesn't take you straight to the Auschwitz tour so when you go in through the English speaking channel look for the "Tours" link in the upper right corner and it will be in there.

http://www.wroclawsilesiatours.com/
    Thanks. It's not clear to me if I could join a group that's going on the tour or not.

I also found another sightseeing tour.
    Wroclawsightseeingtours.com

They have glowing reviews but the question remains- would I have to go by myself or could I join a group that's going? - I am going to send them an email to see what they say. For a single person it's quite expensive and I don't want to go alone on a tour.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    They have glowing reviews but the question remains- would I have to go by myself or could I join a group that's going? - I am going to send them an email to see what they say. For a single person it's quite expensive and I don't want to go alone on a tour.
    I looked at what they offer and really, for $150 I don't think it's all that expensive for 11 hours of education. You're getting private transportation to Auschwitz AND admission AND informative tour guide services during the journey there and back. The thing about tour guides is they're paid to talk to you, and you can ask all sorts of crazy questions that come into your head. For instance you'll be driving down the road and see something along the way and you want to know what it is. You say "Hey, tour guide, what's that crazy thing?" and the tour guide will give you an answer and tell you all sorts of stuff. Your tour guide in the vehicle likely won't be your tour guide at Auschwitz - the official Auschwitz tour guides usually handle that part. But you would have a built-in traveling partner and local expert in the vehicle who's being paid to talk to you at your disposal. And you don't have to worry about getting lost or dealing with the crazy Polish trains.

Look at it this way - a skating coach can get $50 (or more) for 30 minutes of instruction. So that same $150 for 11 hours of an Auschwitz tour would only buy you 90 minutes of skating lesson time, and that's not including the ice time.

It's worth the investment, believe me. Seeing it in person is a much different experience than movies can ever provide.

vCash
    That's very persuasive, Southpaw. It would just feel odd to go all alone with the tour guide (stranger) in a country that I know virtually nothing about. I won't even know if my i-phone would work there, in case I had to call my friend in Wroclaw.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    I did the Commie tour of Krakow by myself and it was fine. Granted, we had some common ground to start with but it was perfectly comfortable. I wish all my tours could be private.

Email this group and see if they would put you in as a single with another group. I imagine that's how they would do things in order to keep operating costs down.

vCash
    Thanks Southpaw

vCash
    When you're in Wroclaw, the best place to get food by far is Najadacze.

It's a small vegan place run by really lovely people. The food is reasonably priced and really delicious and I just love the warm and friendly vibe that place has.

If you want to go out to have something more fancy, there's an organic, mostly raw food vegan restaurant called Machina Organika. They don't have a website but here's the address: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...nika&mkt=en-US

Both of these places are located in the city centre, within the walking distance of the main sights.

Very very few people in Poland are vegetarian or vegan but for some reason there's quite a lot of veggie places in Wroclaw.

I wouldn't really recommend the others though, definitely not in the league of those two.

(Oh and Złe Mięso has moved to a new location but I think it's closed again now for some refurbishment work from what I heard. In any case the only food they do is greasy, deep-fried fast food crap. I wouldn't recommend unless you're in the mood for something along those lines.)
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-12-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Does McMięso still have good tea at least or are they frying that, too?

vCash
    I am reading some unflattering things about the trains in Poland. I am seriously considering visiting Krakow for 2 days, but flying from Wroclaw to Krakow (or the other way round) is very expensive. I did some search on the internet about the trains, but the journey is 5 hours long and I am reading some bad things about the trains- like they are attacked by bandits...? Is someone joking or is it really dangerous to travel by train? Keep in mind that I am not very adventurous, and I may even skip Krakow altogether if there is danger.

vCash
    I've taken the train from Krakow to Warsaw and had no issues. I've never even heard that there are issues on trains, except in Russia.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    There can be issues on trains in Poland, but I think the Krakow-Warsaw route is such a main thoroughfare that it's ok, especially during the day. Ziggy would know better than me so hopefully he'll pop back in here and opine on the matter. I was on a train from cow town to Gdansk and I was in a compartment by myself at night and nobody bothered me so like anywhere else in the world, anything can happen. I can walk in my neighborhood and possibly get punched in the face for my iGadget, hasn't happened yet and maybe it never will happen but it COULD happen because that's the risk you take when you venture out of your house. But then if you stay home all the time there could be termites. As Little Edie would say it's awful either way.

vCash
    Actually I am thinking of the Wroclaw-Krakow route. I would be very scared if I was the only person in a compartment. If there are others around, it serves as a safety net (usually). I should ask my friend in Wroclaw about the risk, but I don't know if she travels by train at all. May be she just drives or flies. We had not communicated in many years, and only recently reconnected through facebook.

I have so many questions about Poland- just getting around (e.g. do the hotels there have a free pick up and drop off from the airport?)

ETA: I just talked to my travel agent (I know it was a mistake to make the air travel reservations through the tour!). He said he can't give me the 2-days earlier ticket without an additional cost. So I may not be able to do both Wroclaw & Krakow in the limited time I have (just 3 full days). I may have to choose between the two, and since I have already agreed to see my friend in Wroclaw, I may have to postpone the visit to Krakow. I am however going to ask the travel agent if I could cancel my air ticket and then I could make the reservations on my own. It may still amount to the same price though. I bought the ticket through him because spending several hours on the internet had brought me to $8 more than what he quoted me at that time. All other options were way more expensive, and I was getting tired of checking the air fares every night. The only way I could see Auschwitz would be by taking a day tour from Wroclaw, but according to my friend it would not be worth it to see places in such a hurry.
    Last edited by Vash01; 05-13-2013 at 06:04 PM.

vCash
    Do the cell phones from USA work in Poland and Russia? I have an i4 and I am not sure how to make a phone call, once I am there. I know the country code of course. Not sure if I will need to use it.

vCash
    You need the 4S if you want it to work in Europe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You need the 4S if you want it to work in Europe.
    Pardon my ignorance. What is 4S?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast