Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "For now, Sochi is not in the plan" - May 23rd article and video interview in French: http://www.radio-canada.ca/sujet/oly...e-sotchi.shtml
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    We'll see what she does once the season starts.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    We'll see what she does once the season starts.
    It doesn't sound optimistic that she will change her mind and want to compete again. She seems very happy, based on that interview, in doing shows.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I am wondering if Skate Canada asked her to keep her options open until the end. If Osmond got injured for example, they will badly need her for the team competition to get a medal.

vCash
    Yeah the longer she said nothing the less likely anything would be happening.
    She's done. Too bad though, would have been a nice addition.
    I'm sure Alaine and Gabby are just salivating now, too!

KO will be able to carry the torch for the team comp.

vCash
    She seems very happy, based on that interview, in doing shows.
    I'd agree. I think most of the talk lately about her competing again is mostly wishful thinking coming from other folks. If you have seen her show numbers since Calgary, it didn't take long for her to drop the harder triples. I can't seriously think she has any real motivation to put in the work needed to get those back (even assuming she can). Honestly, I suspect she knows she did well to get the medal she did and is happy with that.

vCash
    I've seen Joannie practice at shows, she does all the triples up to Lutz, or at least she did a year ago when I saw her.

It's likely more the training of programs, mental training, learning new spins (she barely got by with the simpler rules), and just a general lack of reason to put the work in to come back. Jumping would never be her issue, although consistency under pressure might.

vCash
    I'd say Joannie's lack of desire is the issue, not her fitness, jump repertoire or otherwise. She's been on the Olympic treadmill before -- under exceptionally difficult circumstances. I don't blame her for not wanting that again. I am glad she seems to be happy on her current path.

O-

vCash
    There is no reason for her to come back. She already has an Olympic medal and a World medal, a heart-breaking yet inspiring Olympic story (at home), and she is content doing shows. She is 27 and out of competition since Vancouver. She never had 3/3s and was never the best spinner anyway.

(I actually feel the same about Lysacek but then again he always had more competitive fire. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if Lysacek ultimately never comes back to competition.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I'd say Joannie's lack of desire is the issue, not her fitness, jump repertoire or otherwise. She's been on the Olympic treadmill before -- under exceptionally difficult circumstances. I don't blame her for not wanting that again. I am glad she seems to be happy on her current path.

O-
    agree

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    There is no reason for her to come back.
    A possible gold medal in the team event would be a pretty good reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    A possible gold medal in the team event would be a pretty good reason.
    Absolutely. I am not sure how much she cares though. She is making a comfortable living with her current accomplishments and everyone who watches skating and is likely to attend skating shows already knows who she is. She will have to go through a great deal of training and re-learn all those spins for that OGM and she is not likely to be earning a lot more money because of it. Instead, she will probably have to give up shows next season for training.

Does Canada need Rochette to win the gold in the teams event though? With Chan, V&M and R&D very much guaranteeing top 3 in their discipline, it seems to me that Osmond can finish quite low in the ladies and still get the job done. Japan does not have a competitive pair or dance team, and Russia shall suffer in men and their ladies will probably be about as competitive as Osmond. US shall also sffer in men and pairs.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I wonder if Joannie even looks back and has good memories of her Olympic experience? You would think it would be an obvious yes for someone who fought her entire career to get there and ended up winning a medal (and the medal she won was really all she could hope for). However, with her mothers death, that may be the lasting memory for her. I'm not saying she would be afraid to go back for fear something like that would happen again but when she stops and thinks "was it all worth it?" her answer may be a no.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Joannie has had been to two Olympics games. She was 5th in Torino, skated in the gala, and I imagine had a great time. I don't see her coming back for 3rd.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Anyone who's suddenly lost a loved one knows that you go on auto-pilot to do what you have to do. Life becomes a blur for most people and few can recall the specifics of such a time. I expect Joannie is no different - she probably remembers very little of Vancouver - except the worst parts. Possibly part of her indecision has been the desire to rid herself of those memories. I saw her recently at SOI and I think if she wanted to compete she could easily be top five, with a serious shot at top three.

vCash
    Just a thought, if Joannie does come back, would this be the Olympics where the most podium finishers from the previous Olympics has returned (assuming all the comebacks are serious and do end up going to the Olympics)? With her, all the podium finishers from all 4 disciplines in 2010 Vancouver would have returned for Sochi except for Shen/Zhao in pairs, and Domnina/Shabalin in dance.

vCash
    I wouldn't call "returns" the ones who have never left. Just saying...
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahshi Road to Sochi

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I wonder if Joannie even looks back and has good memories of her Olympic experience? You would think it would be an obvious yes for someone who fought her entire career to get there and ended up winning a medal (and the medal she won was really all she could hope for). However, with her mothers death, that may be the lasting memory for her. I'm not saying she would be afraid to go back for fear something like that would happen again but when she stops and thinks "was it all worth it?" her answer may be a no.
    A clean LP from Rochette would have easily taken the Olympic silver away from Asada. As it was, Joannie was only a little more than 2 points away from winning the silver despite leaving out her 2nd 2Axel and stepping out of her 3flip. Joannie has always said she remained in the Olympic competition and skated for her mom because her mom was her biggest fan and a primary reason she achieved all that she did in the sport. Reaching that Olympic podium was their shared goal and dream. Plus, she did not want to have any regrets later in life and she has also stated that the whole experience made her realize that she can be a tough competitor. When all is said and done, I do believe she thinks it was worth it.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Joannie could have been .1 away from the gold but it doesn't change that going into the Olympics, Joannie was only a real shot for bronze. Of course anything can happen and anyone can bomb. Mao hit her 3axels but then gave away tons of points on other mistakes later in her program. I don't think most people considered Joannie for anything other than a bronze medal going into Vancouver with just an outside shot at a silver if someone imploded (which kind of happened and it still wasn't enough).
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    I wouldn't call "returns" the ones who have never left. Just saying...
    Returns meaning returning to the Olympics, I think what you're thinking of are comebacks (although some skaters returning would be of course comebacks such as Evan, Joannie, Plushenko/Kim to some degree). If you want to call it simply the Olympic podium finishers competing again in the next Olympics (Sochi), that can work too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast