Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I don't know if maybe Michelle was a special case, because when Emanuel withdrew in 2002 after a practice session, Jeff was not flown in to replace him. Canada ended up having just Elvis competing. I think the rationale was that if a skater has been on official practice ice, they have technically participated in the competition.
    I remember the difference between Michelle's and Eman's cases was time frame. Michelle withdrew early enough for her replacement, but not Eman.
    Last edited by seabm7; 05-09-2013 at 05:24 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It was surely time frame, but I don't think it was based on being on practice ice. The IOC has a Late Athlete Replacement policy. While I can find lots of references to it and a LOCOG brochure mention that it would be sent to the NOCs in January 2012, I can't find the policy itself or anything specific about figure skating and am having no luck with the official Olympic site -- there are no documents listed for Sochi 2014 yet -- but several sports federation documents refer to it. For Sochi/2014, FIBT (bobsledding and skeleton) released a document (.pdf) that states:

No spare athletes are allowed in the Olympic Village. If an athlete has an accident or becomes otherwise incapacitated during the official training period, the athlete could be replaced by another athlete who is not part of the NOC’s athlete quota, according to the IOC/Sochi 2014 late athlete replacement policy.
    It doesn't define what the "official training period" is, i.e., whether this is an IOC definition or an FIBT definition. There's no other reference to "training" in the document.

For the London 2012 Olympics, the ITTF (table tennis) published a document called "LATE ATHLETE REPLACEMENT POLICY
    FOR THE LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES" stating:

The replacement of athletes after 9 July 2012 is possible providing:
    (i) The replacement athlete is entitled, and qualified, to take part in the London Olympic Games as stipulated in the “XXX Olympic Summer Games London 2012 - Participation and Qualification Criteria”, published in 2010, and regularly updated by the IOC;
    (ii) No doping control issues are pending concerning the replacement athlete;
    (iii) The National Olympic Committee (“NOC”) of the replacement athlete had applied for accreditation for the athlete prior to the application for accreditation deadline on 23 March 2012.
    9 July 2013 is the date by which the LOGOC needed to receive the Entry/Eligibility Conditions Forms (and parent/guardian approval forms for minors).

It also states:

As a general rule, it is possible to make athlete replacements only up to the time of the Technical Meeting for the relevant sport, with the exception of the disciplines of Canoe/Kayak Sprint, BMX Cycling (P accreditations) and Track Cycling (P accreditations), and the sports of Equestrian, Athletics (P accreditations), Fencing (P accreditations) Rowing (P accreditations), Football (P accreditations), Table Tennis (P accreditations), Hockey (P accreditations) and Handball (P accreditations).
    I don't see a specific pattern for the exceptions. It isn't clear whether these exceptions mean that there can't be replacements for them or the replacement deadline is later.

Canoeing/Kayaking Canada document states:

Should a nominated Athlete / Crew, at any time between the sport entry deadline of July 9th, 2012 (date subject to final confirmation by the IOC and London Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG)) and the sport technical meeting for the 2012 Olympic Games, decline his or her nomination to the Olympic Games team or be declared unable to participate in a competitive manner, that Athlete / Crew shall be replaced, subject to the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy, and ICF regulations, by the highest ranked alternate (or alternates) in his or her Event(s).
    I've found lots of articles about how Freya Murray replaced Paula Radcliffe for the marathon last summer; it was announced 29 July, and the woman's marathon was run 5 August. Murray needed to be approved by the IOC to replace Radcliffe, and there are several references to how injuries/illnesses must be announced by the Federation and, if necessary, IOC medical people. (I'm not sure if this is the Galiyeva Rule, or whether the IOC didn't bother to invoke this clause in 1992.) A CAS document notes that there is also a category of "other" with explanation field; this was a doping case.

Without knowing whether figure skating is an exception or what the Technical Meeting is -- Is it one meeting for all of Figure Skating? A meeting for each discipline/event? Something made moot by the start of the games because the Team Event is so early? -- it's impossible to say what it really means for Sochi.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    I remember the difference between Michelle's and Eman's cases was time frame. Michelle withdrew early enough for her replacement, but not Eman.
    Michelle first practiced the day after the Opening Ceremonies, which was weeks before the Ladies SP. She withdrew almost immediately after that practice.

Does anyone know when the Team event is scheduled? Where will it be in relation to the disciplines? If it comes before all the individual disciplines, then there would be a huge time gap between Team and Ladies (which is last).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The Team Event is scheduled first.

From what I've found so far, it may depend on whether there is one Technical Meeting before the Team Event, or one before each event.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I'm pretty sure the reason that Eman couldn't be replaced in 2002 was that the draw for the SP had already occurred. Hoping to hear about Joannie's Olympic plans soon!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    It's hard to know what her exact capabilities are right now by watching this video, as it's not a competitive program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    It's hard to know what her exact capabilities are right now by watching this video, as it's not a competitive program.
    Probably the video was posted because the title of this thread is 'Joannie Rochette News', and Maofan7 simply thought that her recent performance could be relevant to such a thread?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Probably the video was posted because the title of this thread is 'Joannie Rochette News', and Maofan7 simply thought that her recent performance could be relevant to such a thread?
    here's a better video of Joannie's program to "Is it a crime" from Japanese SOI. She's such a performer! She skates like how I had always wished she would skate in competitions, with a wide range of movements and true freedom.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAUDU7bWXQ
    Last edited by shine; 05-12-2013 at 04:39 AM.

vCash
    Joannie is a great show skater, but she did only a 3S and a 2A in this program, with lots of posing and plenty of rest spots. That gives no indication of how she could handle a 4-minute 6-triple FS or even a SP with two harder triples, one in combo. She's been doing exhibition programs for the past 3.5 years, with only the Japan Open for competition; this year she did the pro event rather than the eligible competition. After SOI, she would have only 7 months to get in shape and choreograph programs for Nationals. Seems like too much, too late to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Joannie is a great show skater, but she did only a 3S and a 2A in this program, with lots of posing and plenty of rest spots. That gives no indication of how she could handle a 4-minute 6-triple FS or even a SP with two harder triples, one in combo. She's been doing exhibition programs for the past 3.5 years, with only the Japan Open for competition; this year she did the pro event rather than the eligible competition. After SOI, she would have only 7 months to get in shape and choreograph programs for Nationals. Seems like too much, too late to me.
    I will be shocked if she comes back for the Olympics. I'd love it if she did, but I honestly don't believe she has any intentions to return.

vCash
    Double post, sorry!
    Last edited by Habs; 05-12-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Rochette's basic skating is strong enough that she'd place fairly well with two double axels, two triple toes, two triple salchows, and a triple flip. (Similar to what Kostner was doing a couple seasons ago.)

Not a podium finish, but top 10 would not be out of the question for a clean program. Even with just toes and salchows, I think she'd be enough to help Canada in the team event.

vCash
    I wonder if it would make any financial sense for her to come back? She must make decent bank performing like she does, and training would leave a pretty big dent in earnings. All for a pretty outside shot at anything. It would be nice to see her compete again-- in theory. I'd hate for her to come back and be disappointed.

She's really become such an impressive performer. I saw her in SOI this year and was really blown away. I had no idea she'd be this free a skater.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    nvm.
    Last edited by shine; 05-12-2013 at 04:42 AM.

vCash
    An Olympic medal in the team event (assuming Joannie competes in it) is practically assured. A gold medal in a team event is a pretty good likelihood--at the very least, it's a better chance than it was in 2010 where Yu Na was pretty much a lock.

vCash
    I wonder if she's waiting until the end of the tour to 'decide' or to 'announce'? I assume it's 'announce' because geez Louise she's had two years to figure it out and time's a wasting. If she hasn't decided yet then I have to assume she's not coming back....because figuring out coaching, training base, living quarters, consulting with the bf etc etc takes time. She'd have to have a coach and choreographer all lined up, etc. Mind you, I suspect Orser's coaching stable could probably pick her up right away with little notice.

I doubt she'd be ready for GP and would probably just do a few late B comps to get qualifying score...?

As for jump layout she'd probably do one of each triple, a 2A and then a 3T+3S+SEQ. She could get there pretty easily.

So net net if she doesn't have her plans and logistics all lined up as of now I just don't see this happening.

vCash
    You're right, but, as I wrote, probably those videos were not given to show what Joannie can, or can not do now in terms of jumps and other technical elements, but rather just to show a great performance of hers in a thread that is dedicated to her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I wonder if she's waiting until the end of the tour to 'decide' or to 'announce'? I assume it's 'announce' because geez Louise she's had two years to figure it out and time's a wasting. If she hasn't decided yet then I have to assume she's not coming back....because figuring out coaching, training base, living quarters, consulting with the bf etc etc takes time. She'd have to have a coach and choreographer all lined up, etc...
    In an interview during Worlds, she was asked about her possible return to competitive skating. As I recall, she still didn't give a firm answer. However, at the time she mentioned she would decide in May after considering the situation and consulting with her coaches. Is she talking about her former coaches, or does she have another coaching team on standby?

vCash
    Well. . . I'm assuming no news means no comeback?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast