Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    There is no reason for her to come back. She already has an Olympic medal and a World medal, a heart-breaking yet inspiring Olympic story (at home), and she is content doing shows. She is 27 and out of competition since Vancouver. She never had 3/3s and was never the best spinner anyway.

(I actually feel the same about Lysacek but then again he always had more competitive fire. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if Lysacek ultimately never comes back to competition.)
    Exactly!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Returns meaning returning to the Olympics, I think what you're thinking of are comebacks (although some skaters returning would be of course comebacks such as Evan, Joannie, Plushenko/Kim to some degree). If you want to call it simply the Olympic podium finishers competing again in the next Olympics (Sochi), that can work too.
    Totally! Maybe only 1988 comes close?

vCash
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...ws.....Joannie has a new additional career.....Good for her, and it looks as though she is finished competing for good according to this (or my take on it anyway)
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...ws.....Joannie has a new additional career.....Good for her, and it looks as though she is finished competing for good according to this (or my take on it anyway)
    Interesting! I can't wait to check that out. I also enjoyed this bit:

In August, Rochette will go to Rwanda with Right to Play, an international humanitarian organization that uses sport and play programs to improve health, develop life skills and foster peace for children and communities in some of the most disadvantaged areas of the world. She said she and her boyfriend will likely take their own trip to Tanzania either before or after.
    It sounds like she has a really incredibly, full life right now. Between that and the way she talks about competitive skating in past tense, I think it's highly unlikely she'll return.

vCash
    I miss Joannie's presence in competitions. IMO her artistry was/is underappreciated. I love her so much as a pro but I wish she would come back for one last time. Her Aranjuez LP is one of my favourite programs by a lady ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uTvFa396g

vCash
    Joannie Rochette will have different role at Sochi Olympics
    By Nick Zaccardi
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ada-sochi-cbc/
    Rochette, now 27, skated at the Vancouver Olympics two days after the sudden death of her mother, Therese. Her emotional bronze captured hearts and became one of the poignant performances of the Games. She hasn’t competed at a major national or international event since and will go to Sochi with Canadian TV broadcaster CBC and sponsor Visa.

She said the decision not to try for a third Olympic berth “just came naturally.”

“I’ve been doing shows for 3 1/2 years now, and I really love it,” Rochette said in a phone interview Monday. “That’s my life.”

She will skate in three weeks at the Japan Open, a team event scheduled to include U.S. champion Ashley Wagner, Olympic silver medalist Mao Asada and Olympic bronze medalist Daisuke Takahashi.

“I’m still training and still enjoy skating, but there’s a big difference between doing the Japan Open and doing the Olympics,” Rochette said. “It’s more to give myself a personal challenge. I don’t have the added pressure of competing in the Olympics.”
    The Quebec native said she’s still negotiating her Sochi Olympic role with CBC and that it will primarily be in French.

“I’m new to the TV world,” she said. “I don’t know if I’ll be doing figure skating or more like every sport, the perspective of an athlete.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    That officially confirms what we've all known for a while now. Joannie has the world and Olympic medal and was the story of the Vancouver Games. She really did go out on top despite such a heartbreaking tragedy. Joannie really is one of the most selfless, kindest people you will ever meet and I wish her nothing but success in all of her future endeavours. I also hope that English CBC is smart enough to bring her on as well.
    Kyle

vCash
    It's sort of too bad, if she competed in the team competition, they would probably win gold. But I'm happy she will be there.

vCash
    AFP article after Japan Open: Rochette Not Ready for Comeback
    At the 2013 edition on Saturday, she landed six triples with ease, two of them in combination jumps, and placed second at 123.99 points behind Olympic silver medalist and two-time world champion Mao Asada of Japan at 135.16.

"I'm surprised. I was training like that at home. But I didn't know how well I'd do it with pressure," Rochette said after her routine to the music of "Notre Dame de Paris" by I Fiamminghi and Rudolf Werthen.
    "I still wish to compete but I like it the way it is now because I have no pressure and I do it just for myself, for fun."

"I don't think I'd like to go back to the Olympics. My last experience was a bit bittersweet," she said.

"At this point, I feel like I want to stay home. I'm not ready to make that kind of sacrifice any more."

She said she felt the same about Grand Prix series. "I don't know. It's very official when you're at the Grand Prix. You take someone else's spot."

"But as long as I'm invited to the Japan Open I still do it because I like to compete," the Montreal native said, adding that she would "maybe" go back to high-profile but non-Grand Prix events such as the Nebelhorn Trophy in Germany.
    Japan Open FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U23kCH0Ya5s

Photos via Getty Images: http://www3.daylife.com/search/photo...n+Open+Saitama
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Interesting. Her words sound dubious but, I gather she didn't entirely rule out the possibility of a comeback. I don't think she would be a contender for ladies podium, despite all the buzz after Japan Open. She would need a lot of work, in tweaking her program to meet CoP requirements for transitions, amended spin levels, etc. That would require substantially more stamina too.

She could win gold in team event, if she return. But I think it's unlikely she could match or top her finish at Vancouver in singles. Still, it's pretty amazing she is considered by many as a candidate for the ladies podium, after 3-plus years away from competition.

vCash
    Joannie sounds like she is in a good place. She is keeping her toe in to challenge herself, but it sounds like she has moved on. Her dress is absolutely lovely!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    wow, that was so beautiful!And solid jump content! She looks better than ever on ice, so elegant and expressive, and her lines are longer and more refined. I believe if she kept skating after Vancouver she had a pretty good shot at World title(s). She could take the ones in 2011 and 2012. Best jumping techniques among the ladies, big and strong and good edges. Her one weakness was nerve. If she does as well as this in the team event in the Olympics, Canada would be better off than with KO in my opinion.

vCash
    She's still by far the best Canadian lady on the scene today. Reeling off 6 triples with ease, if she had her heart set on it - she could totally make a run for the podium in both the singles event and the team event. I wish she was coming back for the team event because I'd feel much more confident at Canada's chances then. Joannie rocks!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Joannie definitely rocks! She is one strong lady that I totally admire. I'm so proud of her accomplishments and I've been a fan of hers from the beginning. She still definitely has it. Her FS at the Japan Open was amazing. She could easily take on the competitors of today. Love ya, Joannie! <3
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Part of me wishes she would return to the Olympics and do it only for herself and with no pressure. Don't worry about a medal, don't worry about jump content, just go to enjoy an Olympic experience that was clearly not at all as she had planned in Vancouver. I would think the pressure from media and fans would be far less in another country compared to what she experienced leading up to a home Olympics as a medal contender. At the same time, I completely understand why she doesn't want to go there again. The memories of her Olympics are not very good, even with the medal. Who can blame her for wanting to move on. I just think there is a way for her to find the best of both Worlds by competing for herself and not thinking about any results. She could probably continue training as she did for the JO and easily get the 2nd spot, if not win Nationals.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234