vCash

Plushenko "guaranteed" Russian Olympic Spot "if he's fit"

Per Tatiana Tarasova. However, like Evan, this guarantee hangs on a big "if," namely that fitness:

http://en.ria.ru/sochi2014/20131005/...val-Coach.html
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I'd like to actually see in writing what the Russian Figure Skating Federation says, as they are the ones that actually pick the skater(s), not Tatiana Tarasova.

Not only that, but this article totally leaves out Artur Gachinsky's name, BIG mistake, when he's on he's better than Tarasova's Kovtun! And let us not forget it was Maxim Kovtun that only earned Russia 1 spot for the Olympics by finishing 15th last year at Worlds.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Is TT still the team coordinator/consultant?

vCash
    The point of the article is obviously in the first paragraph When because of tarasova kovtun is called plushenkos main rival. at 2013 nationals it was plushenko Voronov menshov gachinski kovtun. Then at euros it was originally plushenko voronov kovtun and then kovtun overtook voronov. But kovtun never should have been at euros or worlds. Then again it is said he can do two quads in his SPs- he hasn't ever landed two quads in an sp. Sure tarasova is probably right about plushenkos Health but total kovtun PR piece for Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I'd like to actually see in writing what the Russian Figure Skating Federation says, as they are the ones that actually pick the skater(s), not Tatiana Tarasova.

Not only that, but this article totally leaves out Artur Gachinsky's name, BIG mistake, when he's on he's better than Tarasova's Kovtun! And let us not forget it was Maxim Kovtun that only earned Russia 1 spot for the Olympics by finishing 15th last year at Worlds.
    Well Gachinsky didn't exactly help the Rusian cause at Worlds in 2012 when he finished a even worse 18th. With the exception of placing 2nd at Europeans in 2012 he's been a disaster since winning the bronze at Worlds in 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Well Gachinsky didn't exactly help the Rusian cause at Worlds in 2012 when he finished a even worse 18th. With the exception of placing 2nd at Europeans in 2012 he's been a disaster since winning the bronze at Worlds in 2011.
    Because Kovtun was SO much better, right?

vCash
    That's true, Jammers.

But my point being there is more than one contender for that lone Olympic spot, not just Evgeni & Maxim.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    The selection process of Soviet/Russian Olympic figure skating berths has always been filled with a lot of intrigue, and it probably will be even more intense with only one spot being available and Russia being the host nation. IIRC it has always been something like the federation authorities going behind closed doors and looking at the most recent Worlds, Fall International Invitationals/GP Series, Nationals, and the Euros right before the Olympics to decide the berths . . . oddly enough, not too much unlike how the Japanese Federation does it now.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 10-05-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I'm not sure what the point of this article is. It doesn't seem to be raising doubts as to whether Plushenko will be fit (or as fit as he can possibly be given all his previous injuries and his amazing perseverance to lift himself up and keep on skating). Of course we all expect him to be there and anything less will be a disappointment, I think.

Kovtun, Gachinski, Voronov, Menshov... one of them will get a great opportunity at Worlds.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Gachisnki was good enough to beat maxim kovtun in 2013 Russian nationals! So if gachinski was a disaster what was kovtun?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Gachisnki was good enough to beat maxim kovtun in 2013 Russian nationals! So if gachinski was a disaster what was kovtun?
    Kotvun was a Junior skater who was pushed to soon.

vCash
    Kotvun was a Junior skater who was pushed to soon.
    Judging by his free skate video from the cup event this weekend he's still that.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    n. Then at euros it was originally plushenko voronov kovtun and then kovtun overtook voronov. But kovtun never should have been at euros or worlds.
    No it wasn't. Voronov was the highest-ranked Russian skater after the short program at Euros, ahead of Plushenko by about 4 points.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Tarasova has gone bonkers for Kovtun

vCash
    I still have a fairly awful feeling that Kovtun could finish 5th behind Plushenko, Gachinski, Menshov and Voronov and still go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I still have a fairly awful feeling that Kovtun could finish 5th behind Plushenko, Gachinski, Menshov and Voronov and still go.
    I'm 100% he will go. Actually I'm also sure that Tarasova will do her best to send him even Plushenko is in good shape but maybe not a great one and Kovtun has pretty good results at Nationals. The PR for Kovtun will intensify as Sochi Olympics are closer.

vCash
    I'd understand prompting Kovtun right to the top if he was soup already or close to it. But there are lots of things he needs to work,.. firstly I'm no teknik but those quads are so muscled out he almost starts with his head close to the ice when he toepicks...even if he does them, they don't look pretty at all.
    He's an average spinner imho, and although I like the style they are trying to package him I think he's far from being at the level of Jason, Han Yan and of course Yuzuru.
    Kovtun's time will come in the next Olympics, and he could be great if they let him develop