Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Joannie Rochette News

I know it's only May but I was wondering if there has been any update on her decision to continue or retire for next season? I'd love to see her come back but only if she really wants to.

vCash
    Winnipeg Free Press article (April 30): http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...205352081.html
    Rochette... has said she would like to have "an Olympic experience that is more light on the heart."

She also relishes the idea of competing in the new team event in which Canada is a front-runner for gold.

Rochette is in great shape, has honed her performance ability while touring and still has command of all the triple jumps. What she has wrestled with is recommitting to the rigorous, all-consuming training regimen of an Olympic athlete.

Rochette said she will announce her intentions after the Stars on Ice tour.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow - just saw her in Calgary and she looks terrific. Her performance skills have improved so much. If she does come back and still has her other jumps she could really be a contender.
    pug lover

vCash
    COME BACK, JOANNIE!!! Canada needs you and Kaetlyn got a spot JUST for you!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Yes, please!

vCash
    Wow if turn out to be true, that would be fantastic. The Olympics just got even more exciting and unpredictable! We will have the rematch of the veterans and everything is up for grabs. I'd be curious to Osmond vs Joannie at Skate Canada and the Canadian Championship to see who's PCS will be higher. Joannie's should.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Wow welcome back Joannie! The Olympics just got even more exciting! We have the rematch of the veterans, and the curiosity to see Osmond vs Joannie at Skate Canada and the Canadian Championship to see who's PCS will be higher.
    Did I miss an official comeback announcement ? Would be very nice to see her competing again, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Did I miss an official comeback announcement ? Would be very nice to see her competing again, though.
    Yeah i got a little excited and jumped to the gun. Only realised after I read the article, that this is only a 'possibility'. I'd love to see her back though, she is a fantastic skater.

vCash
    Imho if Joannie Rochette comes back, then Canada has the first ever Olympic Team Gold Medal in the bag. They are dominant in every single discipline *except* ladies, and even that was a mishap at this year's Worlds because imho Kaetlyn Osmond has it all, she just needs more experience & time, which is why I say if Joannie comes back, it's a done deal. Joannie already has the experience & technical expertise, unlike young Kaetlyn.

My bet is that Joannie will come back in order to secure Canada that much coveted first ever Olympic Team Gold Medal.

vCash
    So Joannie will decide after SOI? That leaves her just 6 months of intensive training before Nationals. That's a tough proposition for a skater who hasn't had a full SP-FS competition in four years. She may still have all her triples, but it's one thing to do triples in practice, and quite another thing to do them with complex choreography, spins and footwork in a CoP FS. Attempting to come back to full competitive form in such a short time risks injury. Sasha Cohen tried to make it to Vancouver with just 6 months lead time and couldn't quite do it because of injury, and Sasha was 24 in 2010, while Joannie will be 28 in January.

If Joannie was really seriously entertaining the thought of returning for Sochi, she'd already be training rigorously. Since she hasn't been, I'd be really shocked if she decided to return.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    So Joannie will decide after SOI? That leaves her just 6 months of intensive training before Nationals. That's a tough proposition for a skater who hasn't had a full SP-FS competition in four years. She may still have all her triples, but it's one thing to do triples in practice, and quite another thing to do them with complex choreography, spins and footwork in a CoP FS. Attempting to come back to full competitive form in such a short time risks injury. Sasha Cohen tried to make it to Vancouver with just 6 months lead time and couldn't quite do it because of injury, and Sasha was 24 in 2010, while Joannie will be 28 in January.

If Joannie was really seriously entertaining the thought of returning for Sochi, she'd already be training rigorously. Since she hasn't been, I'd be really shocked if she decided to return.

I agree. But all Joannie has to do is get 2nd in Canada to get a spot. She can skate mediocre in the Team Final yet possibly medal if the team pulls her up. Sounds like that's more on her mind than the individual event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I agree. But all Joannie has to do is get 2nd in Canada to get a spot. She can skate mediocre in the Team Final yet possibly medal if the team pulls her up. Sounds like that's more on her mind than the individual event.
    The problem is if Joannie feels she is able to do the team event only, then she should not return. If she withdrew after the team event, then Kaetlyn would be the only Canadian skater in the individual event. That does not seem fair to other Canadian skaters who would be prepared to do both team and individual.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    The problem is if Joannie feels she is able to do the team event only, then she should not return. If she withdrew after the team event, then Kaetlyn would be the only Canadian skater in the individual event. That does not seem fair to other Canadian skaters who would be prepared to do both team and individual.
    I'm not saying she is not prepared for the individual, only that it sounds like she is not pressuring herself for a medal in the individual this time around. Her motivation seems to be to compete in the first team event and have a more enjoyable experience in the individual. I have not heard anyone talking about her withdrawing after the team event.

vCash
    I'm sure this has been asked a million times but can a skater only compete in the team event with completely different skaters in the individual events?

How wonderful would it be to have Joannie skate team and KO and Gabby do singles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked a million times but can a skater only compete in the team event with completely different skaters in the individual events?

How wonderful would it be to have Joannie skate team and KO and Gabby do singles
    Basically, no. IOC does not like increasing the number of participants in the Olympics. The team event was allowed with the strict condition of up to 10 more people besides the individual event competitors. This pool of 10 additional participants could be only used by the countries which do not have participants in the individual events.

vCash
    Gosh...I am so selfish. I would love to see her compete on OLY ice again. I say Rochette / Czisny / Akiko for the podium!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash

If Rochette is in, I think Skate Canada would want both her and Osmond to compete at both the team and the ladies events, so that both can be OGM.

Osmond is probably a better bet for the short program since she has a 3/3. Rochette's pverall strength will be better suited as a free skater.

If Rochette only wants to compete at the team event, can she withdraw AFTER the team event is over, and have Daleman flown in as substitute (the ladies event is a week or so afterwards anyway)?

vCash
    No. That's why the Russian Fed is hitting themselves, as their one sole entry in the men's event means Plushenko has to do both phases of the team event if he wants to compete in the men's event.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

Not technically, but if a skater were to become injured after the Team Event, that skater could be replaced by another if the deadline for replacements hasn't passed. I don't know where to find the replacement rules, but Kwan did attend at least one official Olympic practice before being replaced by Emily Hughes in the Ladies event, which is the last of the events, so the deadline is not when official practices begin.

For Plushenko to skate just the individual event, he'd have to be the alternate, the official entry would have to skate the Team Event and become injured after it, and the replacement deadine for the Men's event would have to be in time for Plushenko to replace the original lone entry man.

I believe that injured skaters have to leave their accommodations in the Olympic Village. The way the Sochi alternate paragraphs are written, it doesn't look like alternates are given accommodations unless they fill in for other skaters. If the country NOCs provide other accommodations for alternates, then a replaced skater could swap with the replacement skater.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Not technically, but if a skater were to become injured after the Team Event, that skater could be replaced by another if the deadline for replacements hasn't passed. I don't know where to find the replacement rules, but Kwan did attend at least one official Olympic practice before being replaced by Emily Hughes in the Ladies event, which is the last of the events, so the deadline is not when official practices begin.
    I don't know if maybe Michelle was a special case, because when Emanuel withdrew in 2002 after a practice session, Jeff was not flown in to replace him. Canada ended up having just Elvis competing. I think the rationale was that if a skater has been on official practice ice, they have technically participated in the competition.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast