Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Preference type O lol

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    I say to all the people who choose to live their lives as openly and freely as they want to be.
    Thank you for recognizing that being open and free is a kicka$$ thing to do. I have been open and out since 1989, so I thank you for your compliment and recognition. What is even MORE astounding is that gays can live openly, freely and proud AFTER suffering (in many cases) an enormous amount of negativity in response to coming out.

For example.... I am living openly since 1989. I was initially banished from the family home, as well as being disinherited by Grandparents and my parents. I was cut off from communication with my parents, one of my siblings and my entire extended family for a period of ten years (after which the walls came down a little) until the death of older family members. So, there I was - cut off from my home and my family and all financial support was cut (I was still being educated when I came out) without any real warning or time to prepare. I picked myself up and started LIVING.

In the workplace, my initial position was clouded by gossip regarding my being gay, and I was forced to explain rumors and take drug testing as a result; I had to leave my second position after 8 years due to anti-gay vandalism to my car and workplace mail; a third position was clouded by sexual harrassment in which I was assigned to accounts based soley on my sexuality; an opportunity at a fourth position was denied when during the final, benefit interview process, it became clear I was open and gay and the job offer was rescinded; and a fifth position was ruined after I found out that the Director hired me because he liked the look of my a$$ and he wanted a boyfirend (he was hoping I would become a boyfriend).

Since that time, I have developed and kept a satisfying career of nearly ten years in which I am my own boss and I look forward to retirement. Along the way, I have remained open, honest and proud of who I am and what I have become.

Looking back, I think it is AMAZING anyone can do that after suffering so much negativity, ignorance, abuse and hate. I am often surprised at what I have had to endure, and that is nothing compared to what others will tell you they went through. It is a testament to the strength of the human character.

Part of coming out is developing a strong character and a belief in yourself, not just disseminating information. Coming out is a formative step in the development of a gay person, and it needs to be done in some way for the person to be adjusted and hopefully, happy.

Thank you for the recognition. I think it is kicka$$ too.

vCash
    I'm proud of you PairSk8Fan !

vCash
    I hope one day asking the sexual preference of a person is as trivial as asking what their favorite food is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Entire post
    Thank you for sharing your story with us.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Some quotes from Johnny on the subject: (these are all from his twitter or from his most recent online column

Whether for your own financial gain and job security or not, coming out is a personal choice that goes beyond comprehension for people who haven’t lived through it. I am cut from the same cloth as my husband, Ellen Degeneres, and the talented and brave Jason Collins, yet I do not understand this life process as they do. My truth wasn’t the same as theirs.

Never having lived in a closet myself, I owe a lot of my first-hand knowledge on the subject to my husband, who lived “in” for the greater part of 28 years. I have learned that you live in constant fear that someone will find out. You hide everything about your personal life from everyone, even those who are closest to you--and sometimes they’re your girlfriend. The greatest liberation could be coming out, but it is also viewed as the greatest tragedy. Once you’re out, there’s no going back in.

The best rewards for coming out are the opportunity to live your life freely and to inspire the masses to live bravely and filled with love.

It takes a brave person to come out publicly, whatever your own personal public may be--your friends at school, your coworkers, your teammates, or the world’s media.

The fact that people have to "come out" is aggravating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    Well some people you can just look at and decided for yourself.

My question is, has Joubert come out yet?
    That's what I want to know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I find it so offensive when people talk about how gay people don't deserve to be open about who they are. Like they prefer when "all those gays were not seen and not heard". (Some) straight people take it for granted that they can be 100% open about who they are...anywhere...anytime. People sound shockingly ignorant at times.

As heterosexuals are not an oppressed group, there has never been any need for them to go into the closet. So there is nothing for them to come out of.
    In the words of Lola Heatherton, "I wanna BEAR your CHILD!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Thanks for the enlightening words, sweets!!

vCash
    I know a couple of straight guys who play on a gay hockey team, because the schedule and ice times work better for them than for other teams/leagues they could participate in.

Just to point out that membership in a gay hockey team does not always mean that someone is gay.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I know a couple of straight guys who play on a gay hockey team, because the schedule and ice times work better for them than for other teams/leagues they could participate in.

Just to point out that membership in a gay hockey team does not always mean that someone is gay.
    You are technically correct, overedge. Neither do prancing around singing every word to every Abba song known to man, dressing up as a woman and lip synching Annie Lennox songs for tips for ten years and squealing with delight over how nice someone's brows look, but I've done all three. What I haven't done is slap another football player's behind during a sporting game, as the only sport I've been involved in was figure skating. I wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea.

Please forgive my tongue in cheek sense of humor - I am not intending to be insulting, just making a point. I am well aware there are likely some straight men who play on gay hockey teams because of better scheduling, but I can assure you that nine times out ten, if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck. I think ducks are adorable, by the way. I totally get the point you are making but it is kind of a moot one. There are straight people that go to Pride parades and gay bars to support their friends and families (which I think is FABULOUS) but there are also a lot of gay men who go to gay events and don't advertise their sexuality or private lives publicly in certain circles but aren't any less gay, having not disclosed their sexuality. I don't think I've ever had anyone speculate that I was straight because I participated in gay events, fundraised for gay specific charities etc. and I'm no more surprised no one has ever made that speculation anymore than a straight man on a predominantly straight sports team who has never been speculated as being gay would be.

vCash
    The post I was responding to was this one, from the first page of this thread:

Wikipedia indicates that Jeff is out. He is playing in a gay hockey league, which I doubt he would be doing if he weren't out.
    I agree that if someone is playing on a gay hockey team, they more than likely are gay, but it isn't definitive proof that they are.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash

From the Hockey News Magazine article on the subject:

Taking up a new sport at 29 can be a daunting problem under ideal circumstances, but Buttle has found an understanding group of players in the TGHA, something he suspects he would not have found in a league with straight players. Even though it's 2012, not everyone is comfortable with having a gay teammate. That's obviously not a problem in the TGHA. . . .
    Is that proof enough for you guys? Or do you need to sleep with him to be sure?

vCash
    nothing wrong with it, I always knew Buttle was going to come out soon
    oh Lambiel pls come out next

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Yes, I will have to do that. (Just to be sure... )
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

From the Hockey News Magazine article on the subject:

I think a signed affidavit is required.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Maybe he isnt gay. Some guys are metrosexual without being gay.
    You really need to calibrate your gaydar, love.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    My question is, has Joubert come out yet?
    You also need to get your gaydar calibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancypancy View Post
    Really?? My sexual presence is part of who I am.
    How shallow is that. What flavor I prefer does not
    Shed any light on me as a person , professionally etc.
    That's the problem judge me know me for me. Not
    who I'm attracted to. It's like clicks in high school.
    That's why this world is the way it is. Ppl should Mind there own Business.
    My View...
    In brief:
    1) Being gay is an issue in society.
    2) People are scared of what they don't know.
    3) 'See no evil, hear no evil' If there are no gay people, there is no problem and no need for any pro-equality action.

2) and 3) are why we need to make ourselves seen and heard. I am going to start to 'mind my own business' once the majority will stop discriminating against me and showing prejudice (ie. never).

Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I use homosexual in my wording because it makes me feel uncomfortable to use the word gay. To me the word gay is offensive because so many of the straight population use it as an insult when calling names. To me, it is like using the words N***** or colored people or spics or pollacks. But I also have been told that many homosexuals wear the name of gay proudly - so I am torn on what wording to use or type.
    The word 'homosexual' reduces people to a 'medical' category whereas the word gay has a wider sense of encompassing a cultural and social identity.

Just because some assholes choose to use the word 'gay' as an insult doesn't mean that we should stop using that word in its positive meaning. We can't let them reclaim the language like this.

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    The fact that people have to "come out" is aggravating.
    They don't have to but nothing is ever going to change if they don't.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I thought you were married.
    Let Jeff give to the needy, not to the greedy!
    I'll have to use that one later.

Speaking of which, Alf resembles Jeff Buttle more than a little. This may or may not have been on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I think that day is already here in many ways - Buttle himself has made headlines countless times over the years for his athletic achievements, his work as a choreographer continues to be discussed (and admired), and he's generally referred to as a good person.

It's not for everyone in every situation, but I think the fact that Buttle never hid anything and just lived his life paved the way for everyone to focus on his accomplishments and personality, rather than distraction about whether or not he was gay being the main topic of discussion around him, as it has been with some others.
    Right. Whether he is or isn't gay, he's let his work and personality speak for itself. It isn't part of his identity as strongly as say, Johnny Weir, who is flamboyant and proud. Not to say that Johnny's doing it wrong, but that's what he's most known for now. It's a choice of how you want to be remembered by.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I read the article from Sylvia's link. It taught me 2 things.

1) Jeff is openly gay.
    2) Jeff was world champion in 2005.
    Correction: Jeff was World Champion in 2008.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    Correction: Jeff was World Champion in 2008.
    I think that Polymer Bob knows that - that's why the 'confused' emoticon. Probably he/she is indicating that the article could be seen as unreliable because of this incorrectness. Which doesn't mean much, as that article is not the only source from which we know that Buttle is openly gay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    {whole post}
    Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness! Love this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast