Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Sasha Cohen (2004-W, 2005-W, 2006-O),
    Silver at the 2005 Worlds was not a dissapointment for Cohen. She had barely competed that year, lost easily to a subpar Kwan at U.S Nationals and barely anyone talked about her going into Worlds. Plus that year was always a coronation for Irina given her season and the home ice advantage, which was made all the more evident to everyone including her competitors when she had two big mistakes in the SP and still won it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Silver at the 2005 Worlds was not a dissapointment for Cohen. She had barely competed that year, lost easily to a subpar Kwan at U.S Nationals and barely anyone talked about her going into Worlds. Plus that year was always a coronation for Irina given her season and the home ice advantage, which was made all the more evident to everyone including her competitors when she had two big mistakes in the SP and still won it.
    I can agree with this. Beating Kwan at that worlds was itself a victory. It showed that Sasha would-- or at least should--be the American favorite going into the Olympics.

vCash
    Yeah for sure. 2005 Worlds was getting her momentum back when it seemed she was starting to fade slightly into the background all of a sudden. 2004 Worlds and Nationals and GPF, and 2006 Olympics and Worlds, were much bigger dissapointments for Sasha not to win as she had all the momentum early in the season in 2004 and was supposed to dominate but then proceeds to lose to Suguri at the GPF, Kwan at Nationals, and Arakawa at Worlds, and in 2006 she had the programs and skating to easily win it all but blew it again.

vCash
    Elvis Stoijko in 2000? The race was seen as between Yagudin and Plushenko. They each won three GP gold medals; Plushenko won the final as well. Plushenko emerged the victor at Europeans and was 2nd in the short program at Worlds to Yagudin. A flawed skate from Plushenko in the long allowed Stoijko, who ranked fifth in the short (1st in his qualifier) to earn silver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Elvis Stoijko in 2000? The race was seen as between Yagudin and Plushenko. They each won three GP gold medals; Plushenko won the final as well. Plushenko emerged the victor at Europeans and was 2nd in the short program at Worlds to Yagudin. A flawed skate from Plushenko in the long allowed Stoijko, who ranked fifth in the short (1st in his qualifier) to earn silver.
    Yeah. That was Stojko's last world medal, IIRC. That was back when I was a fan and I was really happy for him since he finished 4th the year before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    One funny thing to think about is how the only Ladies Olympic silver medalists in the last 40 years who were happy were Canadians:

1972- Magnussen was very happy with silver as Schuba was a mortal lock for gold due to figures, and Holmes and Lynn were both big threats to her.
    1976- Probably not a big dissapointment but still as reigning World Champ Diane DeLeeuw was probably slightly dissapointed to not win gold, even expectedly losing to the superior Dorthy Hamill.
    1980- Fratianne still mourns her silver to this day.
    1984- Sumners still mourns her silver to this day almost as much as Fratianne, and in her case she has to know if she just did 1 of those last 2 jumps she missed she would have had it.
    1988- Manley overjoyed with silver.
    1992- Silver devastating for Ito and Japan.
    1994- Kerrigan dissapointed losing that squeeker and losing out on her Cinderella ending.
    1998- Kwan disconsolate with silver.
    2002- Slutskaya very upset with silver.
    2006- Cohen dissapointed with silver, especialy losing to surprise Arakawa, and not Slutskaya as expected.
    2010- Asada devastated with silver, even if a perfect skate wouldnt have done it for her with how Kim fared (which probably made it even more painful).
    This is a great post. Joannie Rochette's 2009 worlds silver seemed another case of a very happy Canadian lady standing on the second step. In fact she was the first Canadian lady to medal at a worlds since Elizabeth Manley. Rochette made her reputation as a strong artist and solid competitor at that worlds in my opinion, and she did it after years of appearing unlikely to stand on any podium.

vCash
    Lambiel was thrilled and emotional over his 2006 Oly silver.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Elena Sokolova winning silver at 2003 Worlds. Her other placements were 8th ('97), 8th ('98), 10th ('04), 7th ('05), 4th ('06), 13th ('07).
    That was a big deal, and her silver at 2003 Euros was equally a major positive for her career.

vCash
    Surya Bonali

vCash
    I'm not sure any of Bonalys were real surprises. She had been an up and coming contender for many years. I think it was a huge disappointment for her to lose out the world crown 3 years in a row.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Didn't the media effectively make Ten's silver surprise into a "was robbed" and a loss? It was a great placement for him, but wasn't the brouhaha over the judging enough to almost redefine his silver as something unfortunate rather than great. I believe that's the downside of media and critics going postal at judging. It ironically tarnishes the silver medalist a little too.
    Same can be said of Nancy Kerrigan's silver (although hers was not a surprise) and even Paul Wylie's silver.

vCash
    I would add Elvis Stojko's silver at the 1994 Olympics. The three big shots Boitano, Petrenko, Browning where vying for the OGM, with Elvis's name in the mix because he had a quad. Had they all skated clean SPs, Elvis might have been left without a medal. So he should be pretty happy with that silver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I would add Elvis Stojko's silver at the 1994 Olympics. The three big shots Boitano, Petrenko, Browning where vying for the OGM, with Elvis's name in the mix because he had a quad. Had they all skated clean SPs, Elvis might have been left without a medal. So he should be pretty happy with that silver.
    Yeah, although that one wasn't SO surprising as he had come 2nd in the world the year before (although Boitano and Petrenko weren't there).

vCash
    I think some people liked Elvis' jumping and the rock-n-roll, leather-clad SP. Americans had a harder time relating to Urmanov. He was definitely not the North American audience's favorite for Gold after the SP, whereas I think Stojko was.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 05-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Boitano was 30 years old, too old for amateur singles skating, had a knee injury, and had lost all his competitions that season. He was not more favored than Browning, Petrenko, or Stojko except in U.S media hype maybe. Stojko was definitely a strong gold contender, especialy after crushing Browning at Canadians that year. Atleast he was way more favored than Urmanov who had been outskated by Stojko for over 2 years, and who had been only 3rd at events like Skate America and Europeans without even half the Olympic field, so to lose gold to Urmanov was both a huge upset and big dissapointment for him.

vCash
    Ito seemed like a happy silver medalist to me. Yeah she was devastated after her fall in the short and apologized to her country but on the night she actually won silver, she looked ecstatic. Sokolova complained about her silver medal at worlds and claimed Kwan won because the competition was in the United States. And Dianne DeLeeuw was peeved about her loss, especially her marks.

vCash
    DeLeeuw is stupid. Errath should have won silver over her if the judging was fair. Her short program at those Games was a joke, she basically missed the last 2 elements and still got almost all 5.7s, what a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Sokolova complained about her silver medal at worlds and claimed Kwan won because the competition was in the United States.
    Is that just a Russian tradition? Or did she really believe that?

I recall Petrova and Tikhonov similarly said they should have been the winners of the bronze at the 2002 Olympics in pairs, and they blamed the competition being held in the USA somehow. These are two of the most ridiculous claims I have heard.

Since Slutskaya stayed home from 2003 worlds, Sokolova had some support on the 100% anonymous panel as the Russian favorite. She was also fortunate that Cohen, Hughes, Arakawa, Volchkova, and even Suguri skated relatively poorly.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 05-06-2013 at 09:07 AM.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    ETA: Belbin and Agosto at the 2006 Olympics. They had only won one world medal and I think they were not considered as legitimate threats for the silver medal as some other teams, who faltered in the OD. Some even thought 2010 would be more their time, which was funny because they ended up finishing in 4th then.
    Yes. It was the first big American breakthrough in dance. Don't get me started on 2010. What a tragedy.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    1980- Fratianne still mourns her silver to this day.
    1984- Sumners still mourns her silver to this day almost as much as Fratianne, and in her case she has to know if she just did 1 of those last 2 jumps she missed she would have had it.
    What do you mean "mourns"? What have they said specifically? I would be disappointed with silver if I was expected to win. But, life goes on. These people were not destined to be the gold medalists so they should try to move on with their lives. Silver is a medal (and the prettiest color IMO.) How would they feel if they got 4th and left with nothing?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast