View Poll Results: How would Nicole Bobek's '98 US Nats programs have placed at Nagano?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gold

2 4.55%
  • Silver

1 2.27%
  • Bronze

25 56.82%
  • 4th or lower

16 36.36%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    One thing to remember is that under 6.0 the judges gave Chen credit for all 5 of her triples. Her last triple toe in the triple toe/triple toe was definitely not though and was two footed as well. Chen also had good in between transitions in that program. I still think it could have gone either way too, but I can see the case for her under 6.0 era standards.

vCash
    Like I said though I dont see what justifies Maria's artistic scores being so much lower than both the Europeans that same year and Worlds the next year for the exact same music and choreogrpahy. Even if Nagano was considered a more artistic field, that alone cant explain all the huge gap in her 2nd marks at those events.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ the justification is that the 6.0 system is a rank scoring system.

vCash
    And let's face it, Maria's performance really was that much better in Helsinki. I think in terms of actual performance and interpretation, Nagano was probably her worst outing of that routine unless there's a GP event I don't know about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ the justification is that the 6.0 system is a rank scoring system.
    Thank you. People are looking at these performances and marks with IJS hindsight. Bobek's was the strongest under 6.0 and would have been considered a clean, albeit watered down, program. All four would have had 5 triples counted (maybe 4 in the case of Bute, depending on the judges' perspective on her two-footing), but the other three were marred with errors, which impacted both sets of marks.

Also, saying that Nicole lacked the reputation of either of the Russians and Chen is just plain false. Her scores at 1995 (2 fall LP program held up for a bronze) and 1997 Worlds (fall and double in the SP ended in 8th) - heck, even in the Olympic SP - prove otherwise. Chen was marked extremely conservatively and Slutskaya was on a downward trend. Butyrskaya would have had a slight edge, but nothing insurmountable. At the very last, Bobek was on par with Slute and Chen, with all three just behind Bute (who had arguably the worst skate, with a double, two-foot and tentative presentation).

vCash
    Bute was actually quite gifted in the free vis-a-vis Slute. Given how stiff she was throughout the performance and had questionable landings on a few jumps, she still managed to beat Slute who was much more confident and did 3 jump combos compared to Bute's none. IMO Slute's technical edge over Bute was more than sufficient to compensate the edge that Bute's presentation supposedly had over Slute. I think the judges were giving Bute the benefit of the doubt after considering the short program.

Too bad Bobek didn't skate a clean and inspired short at Nagano or she would really put Slute out of direct running for the bronze after the short.

This is how I would have placed everyone as was (but with Bobek as at US Nats)

Short:

1. Kwan 5.6/5.9
    2. Bute 5.6/5.7
    3. Bobek 5.5/5.8
    4. Lipinski 5.5/5.7
    5. Chen 5.3/5.8
    6. Slute 5.2/5.5

Free:

1. Kwan 5.7/5.9
    2. Lipinski 5.8/5.8
    3. Bobek 5.6/5.8
    4. Chen 5.4/5.8
    5. Slute 5.6/5.6
    6. Bute 5.4/5.7

Overall:

1. Kwan 1.5
    2. Lipinski 4
    3. Bobek 4.5
    4. Chen 6.5
    5. Bute 7
    6. Slute 8

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This is how I would have placed everyone as was (but with Bobek as at US Nats)

Short:

1. Kwan 5.6/5.9
    2. Bute 5.6/5.7
    3. Bobek 5.5/5.8
    4. Lipinski 5.5/5.7
    5. Chen 5.3/5.8
    6. Slute 5.2/5.5

Free:

1. Kwan 5.7/5.9
    2. Lipinski 5.8/5.8
    3. Bobek 5.6/5.8
    4. Chen 5.4/5.8
    5. Slute 5.6/5.6
    6. Bute 5.4/5.7

Overall:

1. Kwan 1.5
    2. Lipinski 4
    3. Bobek 4.5
    4. Chen 6.5
    5. Bute 7
    6. Slute 8
    One can dream...

vCash
    At 95 Worlds judges showed they loved Nicole, and were ready to give her the world title, but she messed it up. Later, one should think the judges would cool down towards her, hence inconsistency and less stellar result, bad training habits etc etc, but at both Worlds 97 and Olympics 98, Nicole got really high marks, considering she missed almost all her jumps. (IIRC in Lausanne FS she landed one clean triple) The judges obviously still loved her. Imagine the marks she'd got if she had skated clean!

vCash
    I think Nicole peaked the year she won U.S. Nationals and World Bronze. By 1998 her inconsistency had started to affect her self-confidence, and you can't win Olympic medals without it. Evy Scotvold summed up her chances in Nagano (when asked by a reporter) as "trying to withdraw money from the bank when you haven't put any in". Scott Hamilton's famous quote about her was "When you have so many voices in your head, which one do you listen to?" referring to her constantly changing coaches.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123