Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    the most musical skater of ijs in my humble opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg#t=3m49s

from 3:49 to 4:06 is amazing, and reminds me of vintage kwan (I mean that as a compliment so I hope no one takes it the wrong way. akiko has said in interviews that her favorite skater was kwan). for me, what they both share is this uncanny ability to project the music, as if they're channeling it through their bodies. that alongside the joy they feel
    Totally--she is just FLYING in that last sequence, and it *is* indeed very Kwan-esque in how it's skated with joy and total freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Is anyone else with me on voting Akiko's 2013 FS, program of this decade thus far?
    DEFINITELY among my favorites, though I'd agree with the mention upthread of Carolina's Afternoon of a Faun in terms of women's LPs.
    Last edited by LilJen; 05-07-2013 at 01:37 AM.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think Akiko's "O", Kostner's "Mozart", and Alissa Czisny's "Winter into Spring" LPs are the best routines this past Olympic cycle for me in terms of musicality. I have no problem calling Suzuki a "goddess of musicality" because when it comes to both ambitious and traditional choreography and pure musical interpretation and danceability, no lady comes close to combing all three like her.

vCash
    It annoys me the judges dont give her higher PCS. The only skaters I would give higher PCS are Kostner on a good day, and "maybe" Kim and Asada, and she has some things superior to all of them on the PCS. Her interpretation score should beat everyone. She would still finish last of those if all skated perfectly as technically those three are all stronger, but she would be much more competitive than she is currently allowed to be (especialy as those others dont always skate cleanly).

vCash
    She is also such a wonderful and kind and gracious women. The sport will have lost a great star when she retires. Does anyone think she has a shot of a medal in Sochi, and possibly even a World title in a depleted field on home ice at next years Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    She is also such a wonderful and kind and gracious women. The sport will have lost a great star when she retires. Does anyone think she has a shot of a medal in Sochi, and possibly even a World title in a depleted field on home ice at next years Worlds.
    First she'll need to qualify for Sochi which is not a completely done deal if she has a meltdown the way she did at last JP Nats (and if we take into account the likely return of Miki Ando, although of course there's a huge question mark over the latter's form).

Once in Sochi, if Kim, Asada and Kostner skate at their best or at least have a strong performance at Sochi, I doubt Suzuki will be ahead of them. That being said, there is a real window of opportunity if she can skate a performance similar to that of WTT and get the marks she clearly deserves on some of the PCs (of course, that's assuming her programs will be as good as they were this season) - I know you should not directly compare results between different competitions, but her total at WTT would have put her as a silver medalist at Worlds. Again, it's not as clear cut, but it's at least an indication that she's in there with a shot at a medal

Of course, we'll need to see the quality of each of the leading skaters' programs before being able to make a more accurate assessment of everyone's chances

vCash
    It was a shame Suzuki did not do her WTT performances at Worlds. She might have won the silver which would have been so great.

As for Ando I dont think she is likely to come back, and even if she does she is very unlikely to make the team. Especialy when the Japense federation already said she has to win Nationals to make it, and that isnt ever going to happen when in her prime she only beat Mao at Nationals once.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    It was a shame Suzuki did not do her WTT performances at Worlds. She might have won the silver which would have been so great.
    I do not think so. Carolina kostner would still be placed ahead of suzuki, and get silver medal with great PCS.

vCash
    Did Suzuki really say once that her favourite skater was Kwan? If so then I'm in heaven because my top 2 skater of all time's favourite skater is my #1 skater of all time

She wins me over more and more every season. I dearly hope to see her live again next year at some point, and I wish her a fantastic end to her career

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Did Suzuki really say once that her favourite skater was Kwan? If so then I'm in heaven because my top 2 skater of all time's favourite skater is my #1 skater of all time
    yup
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2010/04/t...n-to-the-rule/

she mentioned it a second time but i can't find the article right now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12