Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

AKIKO SUZUKI: The Ice Goddess of Musicality

All hail Queen Akiko! The goddess of musicality on ice!

vCash
    I think the Queen title has already been taken. Maybe Princess

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I think the Queen title has already been taken. Maybe Princess
    Or Dowager Empress?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Or Dowager Empress?
    Queen Regent?

vCash
    I always enjoy her skating. She's also a strong skater. Empress sounds good.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Maybe we need another poll : the best ever ?

I love Akiko's grace and when she skates, she really feels what she does. She is a breath of fresh air.

vCash
    Is anyone else with me on voting Akiko's 2013 FS, program of this decade thus far?

vCash
    ITA! I love Suzuki at her best. I think both her programs this past season were wonderful, particularly her free skate, when she was at her strongest.

Shouldn't this thread be moved and merged perhaps with the Akiko Suzuki cheer thread in Trash Can?

Video clips would also be a great addition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Is anyone else with me on voting Akiko's 2013 FS, program of this decade thus far?
    Well, I have to admit that I've been particularly touched by Carolina Kostner's Afternoon of a faun. But Akiko's 2013 LP is the one I watch the most actually, when I want to feel joy and lightness.

vCash
    Queen??? Goddess??? Since when we could call someone who out of top 10 Worlds like that????

Oh yes, and "Goddess + Queen" Akiko is the one who most worried about her chance to make Japan Olympic team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    All hail Queen Akiko! The goddess of musicality on ice!
    yeah, Even if she is not queen or god She is very good!

vCash
    I think she is one of the most musical of all skaters competing right now.....so disappointed in her Worlds results this year, and hope she makes it to Sochi next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Ladies' program, yes. But I vote for Takahashi's Blues for Klook as the #1 program of the decade, so far.

vCash
    the most musical skater of ijs in my humble opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg#t=3m49s

from 3:49 to 4:06 is amazing, and reminds me of vintage kwan (I mean that as a compliment so I hope no one takes it the wrong way. akiko has said in interviews that her favorite skater was kwan). for me, what they both share is this uncanny ability to project the music, as if they're channeling it through their bodies. that alongside the joy they feel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HVS View Post
    Queen??? Goddess??? Since when we could call someone who out of top 10 Worlds like that????
    You can still have wonderful musicality, even on a day your jumps go out the window like Akiko's did at Worlds. They're not necessarily mutually exclusive concepts. No one suggested we call her Queen of consistency .

Here's her last outing of the season, where she skated her LP very well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3PEs2jsYs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    You can still have wonderful musicality, even on a day your jumps go out the window like Akiko's did at Worlds. They're not necessarily mutually exclusive concepts. No one suggested we call her Queen of consistency .

Here's her last outing of the season, where she skated her LP very well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3PEs2jsYs
    Oh Thank you

Well, I actually liked her LP perf at Worlds, so poor technically, just somehow enjoyed it, maybe I love the music.

But it depends very much on her music choice and choreography not herself I feel, because I didn't "get" her in previous years or her other program, and seriously, a skater with week tech & poor consistency is at very-low-level in my eyes

vCash
    But it depends very much on her music choice and choreography not herself I feel, because I didn't "get" her in previous years or her other program, and seriously, a skater with week tech & poor consistency is at very-low-level in my eyes
    Your generosity in your estimation of these athletes knowns no bounds I see

Well, if to you a skater of the level of Suzuki is a "VERY LOW level" skater (who did mess it up somewhat at JP Nats, GPF and pretty big at Worlds this season, but who also had pretty strong showing at both her GPs, 4CC and just nailed 130+ at WTT for a flawless performance - and who did medal at Worlds last season), I dread to know how you'd qualify skaters who do not medal at GP events or who do not get near the top 10 at Worlds

Then again, I guess such skaters would be too low for your eyes
    Last edited by rayhaneh; 05-06-2013 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    Your generosity in your estimation of these athletes knowns no bounds I see

Well, if to you a skater of the level of Suzuki is a "VERY LOW level" skater (who did mess it up somewhat at JP Nats, GPF and pretty big at Worlds this season, but who also had pretty strong showing at both her GPs, 4CC and just nailed 130+ at WTT for a flawless performance), I dread to know how you'd qualify skaters who do not medal at GP events or who do not get near the top 10 at Worlds

I guess you couldn't lower your eyes low enough
    So what wrong with that

Skaters "who do not medal at GP events or who do not get near the top 10 at Worlds" as you said, well, I'm not a die hard skating fan, I enjoy to watch beautiful art + high level tech (love big jumps) skating with my favorite skaters (BIG 3 and few young girls if you ask), I don't think I need to know or watch all, not bash anyone, just didn't watch so have nothing to say
    Last edited by HVS; 05-06-2013 at 05:36 PM.

vCash
    I don't think I need to know or watch all, not bash anyone, just didn't watch so have nothing to say
    You are entitled to watch whomever you enjoy, of course. That doesn't change the fact there are skaters outside the top 10 who have excellent qualities and plenty of other fans enjoy. For example, back in the day when Lucinda Ruh was competing, she struggled to make the top 20 at Worlds, but her spins were the class of the field. Likewise, I think Akiko pays attention to detail and manages to interpret music with her entire body (definitely the best at using body levels to convey changes in music right now). That's enough to make her a compelling performer for me, regardless of what happens to her jumps.

vCash
    and seriously, a skater with week tech & poor consistency is at very-low-level in my eyes
    Probably you don't know but there is more to figure skating "technique'' than just jumps. There are also skating skills, spins, the ability to execute difficult transitions and choreography while skating well and doing all the difficult elements. Akiko has one of the best skating skills from current ladies - especially in terms of speed, but she also has great step sequences (a technical element). She is not the best spinner, although usually she can get level 4 for her spins, but her ability to execute difficult choreo within a program with all the required elements is excellent.

As for consistency, most of current ladies are not that much more consistent than Akiko, including the best ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast