Beach Bum
    vCash

New Orleans, Where to stay?

This fall is the 20th anniversary of my law school class starting our scary first year. My friends and I haven't done the school sponsored reunions, so we've decided to spend a long weekend in NO in Sept or Oct. I saw a lot of what to do suggestions in old threads, but not any hotel recommendations. There are about 9 of us, plus some spouses I doubt anyone wants to spend more than $250 a night, and I doubt we want to rent cars. The only requirement is conveniently located near food and booze. Any ideas?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Oooooh! ME! ME! I KNOW!

The Monteleone. The Carousel Bar is It's also close enough to Bourbon if you want to go, but far enough that you don't have to put up with the shenanigans that go on there. For something a little more modern, there's the Royal St. Charles. The Columns is also lovely, especially in October. One of the best outdoor bars. Though it is beautiful, it is also ah-hem, "quaint." A lot of HBO/Showtime movies set in the 1940s are filmed there. Le Pavillion is nice, but it's not as convenient as the other ones, though still pretty convenient.

Even though it's part of a chain, it's been such a part of New Orleans for so long, The Roosevelt might as well be local. It's home to one of New Orleans' most famous bars (and drinks), Sazerac. Same for the Ritz-Carlton, home of my favorite hotel bar, The Davenport Lounge.

Do not, under any circumstances, stay in any Hilton properties. Hiltons are lovely in other places. They are run by misanthropic trolls here.

All of the hotels have bars/restaurants practically on the doorstep, but the most convenient location is The Westin. The Intercontinental is a nice hotel that a lot of people like. I like the bar, Loa, but am not as crazy about the hotel itself as others.

There are also two Marriots and a Sheraton on Canal Street. I really like the Sheraton to hang out in, but I've never seen the rooms.

There are a bunch of other ones--if you give me what kind of feeling you're going for and a wishlist, I'll play concierge! I love talking about my city.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I can add a couple, I really liked the Country Inn & Suites on Magazine Street. It is top rated on Trip Advisor, like # 3 or 4 outta all 160 hotels, very reasonably priced, located close to everything, 2 blocks from Canal St., lots of restaurants, etc. Very convenient. The Drury on Poydras St. is very nice too, but restaurants, the French Quarter, etc. are a bit of a hike, at least 5 or 6 blocks away. There is not a bar in the Drury, but at 5 pm they serve complementary cocktails, 3 per guest, and a buffet: hot dogs, baked potatoes, salad, chicken wings, tortilla chips, meatballs, those kinds of things. The cocktails are served at the buffet bar, beer and wine, and maybe 2 or 3 different types of alcohol, like vodka, bourbon and gin?? Every guest gets chits for 3 drinks per night. I gave most of mine to my companion who really enjoyed happy hour while we were there.
    Boi Bumba!!!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Amazing FSU tour guides rock!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Just an FYI, if you are going to be in New Orleans during Labor Day weekend you should know that it is called Decadence and it is a huge gay party. If you aren't gay then it may not be your thing, lol Of course, the festivities are mostly confined to the gay area, which is all the way at the end of Bourbon, but there will still be plenty of things to see, I am sure.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    One caveat about Decadence: Decadence is not a pride parade. It is something that gays in New Orleans and around the country hold very near and dear to their hearts. Bars that happily allow drunk straight giggly girls just looking to dance in on a normal night are not so friendly during Decadence. It's where you can go and just let it all out (sometimes literally ). There's a very private aspect to Decadence despite the public face. A lot of people who are still in the closet come here to be themselves and they don't always take kindly to straight people gawking.

However, if you're not going during Decadence, the milkshake drinks at Good Friends on St. Anne are tasty and The Pub has nearly nekkid boys dancing on bars. And no matter what your orientation, everyone can enjoy a good looking, dancing nearly-nekkid boy. There are always some shenanigans outside the The Funky Pirate. Good Friends is a bar and kind of laid back, good mix of ages and type of people. The Pub is a dance club/bar (or what passes for a dance club in New Orleans).

Be sure and check out Frenchman Street and Lower Decatur too.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I would suggest looking at the Saints home schedule and not come on a game weekend as the room costs go up and can be hard to get, especially if there is a convention in town. But if cost is not an object, being here on a home game weekend can be extra fun. Erin was here for the Saints/Atlanta game last year and I took her down to the Dome pregame before we headed to Arnaud's for brunch.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/sche...-schedule.html

Just let us know what kind of places you want to eat at as I have a long list of recommendations!!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    There is a restaurant in Uptown called La Thai that you just MUST go eat at. It is a Thai restaurant, as you probably guessed, but has cajun influences. I have eaten there twice and I will not go to New Orleans for a very long time without arranging to eat there. You must eat there if you have transportation. Have any of you others ever eaten there?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    There is a restaurant in Uptown called La Thai that you just MUST go eat at. It is a Thai restaurant, as you probably guessed, but has cajun influences. I have eaten there twice and I will not go to New Orleans for a very long time without arranging to eat there. You must eat there if you have transportation. Have any of you others ever eaten there?
    I've never eaten there but a couple of people I know have and love it too.

The Times Picayune put out their guide to eating out in New Orleans a few weeks ago. Good place to check and see which places are up and coming, especially off the beaten track ie not just for tourists.

Best meal I've eaten the last few months in the Quarter was at "Irene's"; I also enjoyed our office Christmas party at "Bayona". My favorite place to eat at Uptown is "Coquette" while my favorite local fried seafood "heart attack on a plate" place is Galley's.

vCash
    Timely thread! A friend is going for her 40th and has booked the Omni. Is it nice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Timely thread! A friend is going for her 40th and has booked the Omni. Is it nice?
    Years ago we had a very bad experience at the Omni; booked it through a travel agency, arrived there after a long flight from Europe and were told that they were booked out... If I remember correctly, they even denied that we ever had a booking. In the end, we ended up staying at the Monteleone at their cost. Both hotel's Locations are excellent and the Omni had a very nice lobby, that much I remember

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Ok, how about local dives for lunch?

vCash
    Put on the top of the list: Mothers ! http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/
    Boi Bumba!!!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Like Matryeshka, I would suggest staying at the Monteleone. I worked for a property management company for 14 years, and that's where we had our rural housing conventions each year. Totally loved the Carousel Bar and had my first Chocolate Martini there.

If you have time, go by Central Grocery. It's the home of the original Muffalettas and they are delicious!

Also, if you have time while on Bourbon Street, go to Pat O'Brien's and Cat's Meow.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Ok, how about local dives for lunch?
    My favorite place to take out of town folks is Parkway Bakery. Its out in mid-city so if you don't have a car, you'll need to cab it.

http://www.parkwaypoorboys.com/

Or you can go to Domilise's, in the Irish Channel.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/domilise-san...ar-new-orleans