vCash

Mark Wahlberg, Actor, Graduates from High School at Age 43

Mark Wahlberg had dropped out of school in 9th grade, and just this summer got his high school diploma. Not an honorary one - a real one. He took online classes to finish it up.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-w...b_3936326.html

I remember reading, maybe a year ago, that he wanted to go back and finish his high school diploma for his kids. I am always impressed as all get out when people, who left school, go back, often decades later, and get their diploma or GED. IMO, takes a lot of courage.

A quote from the man himself:

I was able to do it because I knew I wasn't alone, that other teens and adults were going through the same thing I was in balancing work and family in order to better themselves. To those students struggling every day and - most importantly -- to those who are looking for a second chance, I have a message for you: never give up. Keep believing in yourselves and don't make small plans.

You are not alone. I can now look at my kids every day knowing that I didn't just do this for me -- I did it for them, and I did it for all the other teens and adults who have inspired me by their commitment to graduate.

If we don't live by example, then what do we live by? I am proud to re-introduce myself to you today as:

Mark Wahlberg - High School Graduating Class of 2013.
    How cool is that?
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Nice!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Good for him making it public!

I have friends who are starting college late, and many of them are afraid that they'll never be ready, or that they're "too old." (Which is funny, because every one of them are not even in their 30s yet..) The more people who do this and are proud of their accomplishments, the more we help each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I remember reading, maybe a year ago, that he wanted to go back and finish his high school diploma for his kids. I am always impressed as all get out when people, who left school, go back, often decades later, and get their diploma or GED. IMO, takes a lot of courage.
    Good for him - it's a very nice accomplishment at the personal level, and it's great when someone who's accomplished a lot in their career chooses to focus on education.

My favorite "famous person goes back to school" example was when Brian May finished his PhD in astronomy a few years ago, after a 30+ year break for his music career. I think regardless of whether it's a high school diploma, a doctorate, or anything in between, it's a wonderful example.

vCash
    Wow, very cool.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Jaden Smith should learn a thing or two from Mark... Well done!

vCash
    That's awesome!

vCash
    Nice going and congrats to him.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

From the Bloc
    vCash
    It's good to see people like Mark Wahlberg showing some leadership and using their influence to inspire young people.

For those who might have missed it, Ashton Kutcher gave a similarly inspiring speech at the recent Teen Choice awards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuBSRC1zpHw (first 45 seconds is usual awards stuff, but then he gets going, so stick with it )

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    How cool is that?
    Very cool.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Congrats to him.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Good on Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Good for him making it public!

I have friends who are starting college late, and many of them are afraid that they'll never be ready, or that they're "too old." (Which is funny, because every one of them are not even in their 30s yet..) The more people who do this and are proud of their accomplishments, the more we help each other.
    I was 6 years out of H.S. when I went to college. I was ready, and didn't do too badly, B.A. with distinction.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Good on Marky Mark. The Funky Bunch would be proud! And kudos to him for making it public.

My mum had to leave school at 15 back in the 60s (because as her mother told her she was only ever going to get married and have kids). She went back and got her Higher School Certificate, then went onto to do a degree as a librarian. Very proud of her to do that.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.