Prick Admin
    vCash

PyeongChang 2018 Logo Unvelied

To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Blah, but still not as bad as London 2012.

What was the last really good Olympic logo, anyway?

vCash
    I really liked Athens 's logo and tend to think of it as the last great Olympic logo. Beijing and Torino's were ok, but I didn't really care all that much for Vancouver or London's, and Sochi's isn't really a logo, it's a website address.

I really thought PyeongChang would come up with something great, considering how long they've wanted these games. I like the idea of using Korean characters, but there had to have been a more stylish way to do that. Right now, the logo looks a cross between something created in MS Paint and a convoluted game of hangman.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Nagano's "Snowflower" is my choice. Loved the way they incorporated all the sports into the design.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I think Nagano's might be my favorite of all time.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Olympic logos are so hard to do, since you have to please everybody (which is a fool's errand) and the overall themes are always the same. There's only so much you can do.

But still,

I was hoping we'd see some branding examples. Sometimes when the logo is terrible, the overall branding is not so horrid. The London Games branding was all right even if the logo itself was

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I was hoping we'd see some branding examples. Sometimes when the logo is terrible, the overall branding is not so horrid. The London Games branding was all right even if the logo itself was
    In what way was London a relatively successful example of Olympic branding? I'm genuinely curious, because in terms of design, just about everything looked hideously ugly to me - not just the logo, but also the color scheme, the fonts used, even the podiums. It's no good to have a consistent concept if that concept is so unappealing. And I don't think it really made people think of London in a different way; it's not like London needed an image boost.

I didn't like everything in Vancouver, but I do appreciate that a lot of thought went into making the local culture and heritage a part of the games.

Barcelona is probably the best example of a city that leveraged the Olympics well and really benefited from it afterward.

vCash
    It looks like an emoticon for "average" face as opposed to smiley face. Hideous.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    The logo has an asterisk on it....I wonder if there will be a bunch of questionable victories and drug skandals that mean the victors' records will have asterisks....

vCash
    Was it designed on a Etch-A-Sktech?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    In what way was London a relatively successful example of Olympic branding? I'm genuinely curious, because in terms of design, just about everything looked hideously ugly to me - not just the logo, but also the color scheme, the fonts used, even the podiums. It's no good to have a consistent concept if that concept is so unappealing. And I don't think it really made people think of London in a different way; it's not like London needed an image boost.

I didn't like everything in Vancouver, but I do appreciate that a lot of thought went into making the local culture and heritage a part of the games.

Barcelona is probably the best example of a city that leveraged the Olympics well and really benefited from it afterward.
    What I meant was, after the total that was the logo, the branding seemed all right in comparison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Was it designed on a Etch-A-Sktech?
    No curved lines allowed!

vCash
    Oh my god... This looks like it was done by a child. You could have hated London's logo but it was proper design. This is just ridiculous.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    That logo is... unfortunate, to put it politely. If someone just showed some the logo design to another person to guess what the design was for, I am sure the Olympics would one of their last guesses. Makes me frightened to think what the "mascot" will be.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Makes me frightened to think what the "mascot" will be.
    Probably just a regular dude with a smiley face sticker on his chest.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Probably just a regular dude with a smiley face sticker on his chest.
    I hope it's this one:

I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Nagano Olympic logo is just brilliant, however pyeongchang logo is just bad.