Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Tracy is usually a good commentator but she really trashed G&P during the 1998 Olympics while working as a commentator. Oksana/Pasha was upset about the negative reporting against them, after they won the OGM (deservedly so, IMO).
    Not just the Olympics.
    Wilson, thanks to her position as the main US TV commentator for ice dance, minimized Grishuk and Platov at pretty much every televised major competition until 1998. I can't remember whether it was NBC or ABC that did the fluff pieces, but basically they did not let any opportunity pass by without suggesting that Grishuk was crazy/a slut/emotionally disturbed and Platov couldn't stand up on ice.
    It was CBS. If you haven't seen CBS's coverage of the Pre-Olympic NHK event, do so. It was basically a test run of their Olympic coverage; some block judging accusations mixed with some Grishuk bashing. Part 1, 2, 3. Part one has a cool sbs view of G&P and B&K doing the Quickstep CD. Besides the better unison, posture, closeness, it only takes G&P four pushes to get to full speed off the start to B&K's seven. Funny how the USA judge being the only judge to put B&K ahead of G&P in the CD and FD isn't made a big deal of. This FD is questionable enough, but the CD is just ridiculous. Even Tracy had to admit G&P were better. Where's that investigation?

I always thought Wilson projected herself onto B&K and saw 1998 as a repeat of 1988, with G&P and K&O being in the B&B and K&P roles. When it appeared that B&K might not even get a medal, I think that sent her off the deep end. If some judges got suspended in 1993 for apparently no reason other than supporting G&P, Wilson probably felt empowered to at least try to tarnish G&P's win as much as she could if she couldn't actually prevent their win from happening. She had quite the platform to do so.

Like I said in the 1992 Worlds thread, I'm interested in the Dubova connection. She was always the first person Wilson would run to for comments and CBS really gave her a face on US tv. G&P's troubles in 93 came right after they left her for Linichuk.

Also, the NHK broadcast was was my first glimpse of Delobel and Schoenfelder, or as Tracy refereed to them, "the French team". She tries to suggest they are beneficiary of bad judging based on a 5 second clip, but I remember Robinson and Breen, and and they were *not good* and their programs were simple as hell. They were only 5th that year at Nationals and that was back when we had no one other than P&S. So f*ck off, Tracy.

vCash
    Tracy Wilson was a hateful comintator ..
    I think her own failed career, fueled her bias
    Also B/K were her baby team she favored. It was
    Very unfair of her in my opinion .. G/P are the king & Queen of
    Ice dance always & Forever!!! Like them or not. No one can
    Match their speed, & technick .

vCash
    While her comments certainly disappointed me, I thought her career was quite strong. Not best of the best or anything, but certainly by no means a failed.

Anyway, I'd agree that her comments on G/P were consistently unfair.

vCash
    I'm glad that I only really heard Tracy Wilson's commentary in real time during the 2002 Olympics, and she seemed very fair there. Every time Tom Hammond would try to start some sort of controversy or drama, Wilson seemed to try to downplay it. Like about how all the dance teams never shifted in rank from the CD to the OD going into the FD, she would say that individual judges changed their rankings, but it didn't work out overall. Regarding B/K's fall and Hammond asking if that was as big of a deal as FP/M's fall, she seemed fair in saying that B/K's fall would really hurt them because of the rules (rather than subjective bloc judging). She also explained how A/P's FD was full of complexity and how the results at the end were fair.

Maybe she cooled down a bit from her B/K fever in 1998.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancypancy View Post
    Tracy Wilson was a hateful comintator ..
    I think her own failed career, fueled her bias
    Also B/K were her baby team she favored. It was
    Very unfair of her in my opinion .. G/P are the king & Queen of
    Ice dance always & Forever!!! Like them or not. No one can
    Match their speed, & technick .
    Tracy Wilson was the first ever Olympic medalist for Canada in ice dancing. She won 3 other World medals, and a World Pro title beating the Olympic Champions, before Rob's unfortunate passing. I would hardly call that a failed career. Most skaters would kill for that career. Not everyone can win 10 Worlds and 2 or 3 Olympics.

vCash
    I also dont agree Tracy was extremely pro B&K. The team she was always hyped as the best was never B&K, it was Krylova & Ovsiannikov from 96-99, and Anissina & Peizerat from 2000 onwards. If anything she seemed to sense a rivalry with B&K who were threats to her status as best Canadian ice dance team ever, and she seemed stingy on them at times, although nowhere near the biased disdain she often had for G&P (and that probably comes from being a bitter U&Z and T&D uber who can never get over 94, more than anything to do with B&K, and also a biased K&O uber that sees her team cant beat G&P even when they slipped or fell). Well maybe 2003 she hyped B&K as they best, but they probably were that year anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    I humbly dispute this. I found that Grishuk/Platov always gave the audience their money's worth. I sat in the first row at Harvard the first time Usova/Platov skated publicly and saw this piece of garbage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarSQOFgtg4
    Thanks for the link, never seen that before. I heard the audience clapping and cheering for them and their program/performance though.

vCash
    I've always wondered what the hell Tracy Wilson's problem was during that era. If it was her own 'faillings' or what she thought was unfair placements/judging in her own career, she's delusional because no way in hell did she and Rob ever deserve to beat Klimova & Ponomarenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    I've always wondered what the hell Tracy Wilson's problem was during that era. If it was her own 'faillings' or what she thought was unfair placements/judging in her own career, she's delusional because no way in hell did she and Rob ever deserve to beat Klimova & Ponomarenko.
    You yourself said in another thread they often deserved to beat Bestiamanova & Bukin though and didnt, so it is not like there wasnt an argument for them to have had higher placings at times. I dont think she is bitter, she just isnt a fan of G&P. Commentators are like fans, they have their favorites, and it isnt always a personal agenda. G&P never impacted her career in anyway obviously.

I also am still bothered at people referring to someone who won an Olympic medal, 3 World medals, and a World Pro title competing for Canada in a time ice dancing was dominated totally by the Soviet Union and Europe as a failed career. I considered them the best Canadian team ever until Virtue & Moir emerged, yes over Bourne & Kraatz who just won a World title by waiting out for everyone to retire and leaving immediately before the next generation flew past them (which would have happened).

vCash
    I think we can disagree with Wilson's assessments or point out potential biases or conflicts of interest on her part without attacking her personally.

vCash
    In the 80s G/P preformed at a competition
    They were up & coming , Wilson was there. The judges
    scored G/P with higher marks then Wilson, and G/P won.
    that's when Wilson's Feud began.. I forget the comp.

vCash
    Sorry if I sounded like I was attacking her.. but she clearly
    did not like them in my view ..

vCash
    I too didn't mean to come across as attacking Wilson but I quite disliked her as a commentator during that era. I found her constant trashing of G&P to be rude and unprofessional. It's clear to me that she could not be objective. But she's in fairly good company as a large number of commentators cannot be objective either.

What 1980s competition did G&P compete against W&M? G&P started skating together in late 1989. Was it some sort of pro-am competition? I can't remember when Rob McCall stopped skating altogether.

vCash
    Apart from her ice dance commentary during the 96-98 period I think overall Tracy Wilson is an amazing commentator. Perhaps the best skating commentator in history alongside Dick Button. Remember she is in huge demand, every network wants her as evidenced by how many she has worked with, and she admitted in interviews she gets tons of offers so demands a very high price for her services.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Apart from her ice dance commentary during the 96-98 period I think overall Tracy Wilson is an amazing commentator. Perhaps the best skating commentator in history alongside Dick Button. Remember she is in huge demand, every network wants her as evidenced by how many she has worked with, and she admitted in interviews she gets tons of offers so demands a very high price for her services.
    For the most part I agree with you but that era was a real black mark on her career as a commentator and should be looked as a major source of shame and embarrassment. It's one thing to prefer another team but to go on such a crusade to discredit them is pretty atrocious. But otherwise, she has an excellent understanding of the sport as well as the code of points that many other commentators lack.

As for Dick Button, he has his moments as well as terrible moments as a commentator. I thought he had good taste in ice dancers but I wasn't a fan of his over enthusiasm of U.S single skaters. Back during the era that Kwan was the dominant skater, it seemed to me that he only became enthusiastic about non-U.S skaters if they weren't a threat to the U.S skaters placement wise. But like I said, he's in good company in that regard.
    Last edited by gk_891; 05-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.

vCash
    I will check that Comp in the 80s & get back
    To you

vCash
    Do you think it has less to do with the possibility of her and McCall losing to a young G/P and more to do with maybe what she prefers in ice dance? Remember that G/P brought in a new age of speed and difficulty. It was sort of a departure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    For the most part I agree with you but that era was a real black mark on her career as a commentator and should be looked as a major source of shame and embarrassment. It's one thing to prefer another team but to go on such a crusade to discredit them is pretty atrocious. But otherwise, she has an excellent understanding of the sport as well as the code of points that many other commentators lack.

As for Dick Button, he has his moments as well as terrible moments as a commentator. I thought he had good taste in ice dancers but I wasn't a fan of his over enthusiasm of U.S single skaters. Back during the era that Kwan was the dominant skater, it seemed to me that he only became enthusiastic about non-U.S skaters if they weren't a threat to the U.S skaters placement wise. But like I said, he's in good company in that regard.
    True her hateful G&P commentary will forever be a black mark against her, but thankfully nothing that bad has ever happened before or since.

Button was extremely pro-U.S women. The only non U.S women he really liked and appreciated were Witt and Gordeeva, and ones that were no threats to the American girls, meaning absolutely none, not even tiny ones like Suguri, Butyrskaya, Gusmeroli, Hubert, or Bonaly, all who he still ripped on. The non U.S ladies he liked were ones like Rechnio, Liashenko, Sebeysten, who werent even tiny threats to the top U.S girls. The ones who were the huge threats like Slutskaya, and even had the audacity to beat his beloved Kween many times and be a huge threat to all U.S women in every competition she entered (favored most times over most of them), were the source of constant dumpage. I still laugh just remembering back to everytime Slutskaya appeared on the ice for any performance, and seconds into the routine uncle Dick "what an ugly position, this badly lacks extension, this isnt good...." LOL! Irina must have been completely unaware of Dick's crusade against her in the booth to let him pinch her cheeks and be so chummy with her in interviews as she was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Do you think it has less to do with the possibility of her and McCall losing to a young G/P and more to do with maybe what she prefers in ice dance? Remember that G/P brought in a new age of speed and difficulty. It was sort of a departure.
    This wouldn't justify her commentary in which you were always left with the impression that horrible corruption was the only reason why they would win! Did she say they were talented in some aspects of skating? Yes but they never ever deserved to win anything.

vCash
    Tracy has gotten better, but she still shows her bias. She's consistent in pointing out hand-to-hand and two foot skating in teams she doesn't like, while overlooking it in teams she does.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast