Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

vCash
    She has a leg wrap on her jumps that she didn't have before the injury.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Or maybe (just a thought) it's a result of her just having returned to skating after a bad injury. ;P
    That's reasonable of course, but you may have noticed that everyone's been spinning like molasses for the last season or so. I hate that rule.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    That's reasonable of course, but you may have noticed that everyone's been spinning like molasses for the last season or so. I hate that rule.
    Which rule change in spins is this? I can't seem to remember what the changes were.

Title-less
    vCash
    I watched it on my big computer last week and the spins looked slow and labored. However I just watched it on
    My handheld which can stream this more smoothly and in sync and her spins all had good to v good speed. Even the music sounded
    less princessy

vCash
    I saw Alissa last night at Scott Hamilton's benefit show in Cleveland. I'm a big fan of Alissa's, but I'm sad to report that she doesn't look like she has any chance whatsoever to take that third spot for the Olympic team. She was only able to land two single axles. The first looked like an aborted attempt at a two axle, and the second one wasn't even an attempt at a double. She also almost lost it on one of her spins. Otherwise, she was beautiful and elegant as ever.

vCash
    Sectionals is in two weeks. If she can't even land a 2a, she may not even make it to Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Sectionals is in two weeks. If she can't even land a 2a, she may not even make it to Nationals.
    Then again, exhibition lighting can be very distracting.

vCash
    Alissa is 26 and after all those years of exhibition skating, she should be used to the lighting.

vCash
    To be fair, some people never adjust to show lights.

vCash
    It could be a case of taking it easy to save everything for competitions.

vCash
    Who knows. We will find out at Sectionals later this month.

I find it odd that people were reporting that over the summer, she had every triple jump back up to the loop, and we are not seeing any evidence of it today. Has she perhaps re-injured herself? Also, John Coughlin was back on the ice 3 months after recovering from surgery on a torn labrum. It seems to be taking Czisny over a year to recover from the same injury

Has there been any conjecture or speculation as to what's going on?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Also, John Coughlin was back on the ice 3 months after recovering from surgery on a torn labrum. It seems to be taking Czisny over a year to recover from the same injury
    Injury at the same place- not necessarily same injury. Perhaps Czisny's was more severe? Total speculation but: Super flexibility makes joints less stable, so that may also be affecting the healing in her hips; the non-injured ligaments/tendons are loose and don't 'hold' everything together. Coughlin likely has tighter tendons/ligaments/whatever in his hip joint which promoted stable healing.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Reading this thread makes me so sad for Alissa.

Her best chance to make an Olympic Team was probably in 2006. There was talk of a potential medal at the Torino Games, too.

After she had done so well on the Grand Prix circuit that season, placing 2nd at Skate America and winning Skate Canada, Czisny's nerves got the better of her at US Nationals.

Her journey over the last decade really underlines just how difficult the sport is. She works hard, but the jumps have always been a question mark.

Whatever the outcome later this season, Alissa will still be able to look back on her eligible career with a tremendous sense of achievement.

Above all, her style and grace have been strong selling points along with beautiful costumes and mature musical interpretation.

vCash
    I think Czisny's problem was being taught terrible jump technique at an early age. She's been reworking her jumps with Dungjen and Sato but there's only so much you can do once the muscle memory is so well entrenched. You can make changes but it's a hard and slow process.

She will probably never compete at the Olympics but she'll be remembered as one of the most elegant and graceful skaters ever and she can probably earn a decent living from show skating after she retires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joubabe View Post
    I saw Alissa last night at Scott Hamilton's benefit show in Cleveland.
    Kristi Yamaguchi's backstage photo of Alissa: http://instagram.com/p/gPEwH7Evc-/

ETA link to a new thread I started for the 2013 show: "An Evening with Scott Hamilton & Friends" Ice Show & Gala in Cleveland, OH
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Injury at the same place- not necessarily same injury. Perhaps Czisny's was more severe? Total speculation but: Super flexibility makes joints less stable, so that may also be affecting the healing in her hips; the non-injured ligaments/tendons are loose and don't 'hold' everything together. Coughlin likely has tighter tendons/ligaments/whatever in his hip joint which promoted stable healing.
    John Coughlin has significantly more body mass and muscle mass than Czisny, and this would enable him to displace muscle load onto neighboring muscle and tendon fibers not only during the pre-diagnosed injury stage, but also during recovery.

Interesting article this weekend:
    "Women's Flexibilty is a Liability". This NYTimes article focuses on yoga injury issues, but its point is on hyper-flexibility. I think it certainly carries over into figure skating and probably gymnastics as well.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/su...yoga.html?_r=0

vCash
    Who knows. We will find out at Sectionals later this month.

I find it odd that people were reporting that over the summer, she had every triple jump back up to the loop, and we are not seeing any evidence of it today. Has she perhaps re-injured herself? Also, John Coughlin was back on the ice 3 months after recovering from surgery on a torn labrum. It seems to be taking Czisny over a year to recover from the same injury

Has there been any conjecture or speculation as to what's going on?
    I am not sure if you realise how bad the injury is and how serious the operation is. To repair labral tear (through keyhole surgery) they have to pull the hip out of the hip socket. The hip will never feel the same. I had the same surgery a week before Alissa. I was on the ice about 3-4 months after the surgery, but being on the ice does not mean that I was able to jump. I am not an elite skater, I am only adult skater and before the surgery had all my singles minus the axel. Since the surgery I have not been able to jump at all; I had to switch to a solo dance. My hip feels a bit like if you wear big shoes - everything feels fine and then suddenly when you least expect it something inside there moves (like if the hip socket is too big for the hip). The hip is a bit unstable and I was warned that from then on I will be prone to hip dislocation. Luckily I have not dislocated it yet, and neither did John Coughlin. However, if you remember, Alissa was not so lucky and on her first competition she dislocated the hip and had to have another surgery to put the hip back into its socket, so that would obviously seriously delay her comeback. Also, John Coughlin is a pair skater so all he needs is two triples. In comparison, Alissa needs full set of triples, therefore she must be practising them much more and her return would be much slower than his. If you imagine that landing a jump means an impact on your hips and knees of 4-6 times your body weight, although Alissa is a very slim lady, during every training she needs to do quite a few jumps and that is definitely not helping her hip.

vCash
    I find it odd that people were reporting that over the summer, she had every triple jump back up to the loop, and we are not seeing any evidence of it today. Has she perhaps re-injured herself? Also, John Coughlin was back on the ice 3 months after recovering from surgery on a torn labrum.
    It depends what you mean by "had every triple jump back." An icenetwork article published end of August reported on Czisny's training. In it, Dungjen said Czisny's double Axel and triple toe were "going well," and she was landing flips and Lutzes "pretty much everyday," but they still had to get her back in shape to do programs.

vCash
    Thank you for all this insight hanca. Hopefully you are going to get your jumps back eventually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Thank you for all this insight hanca. Hopefully you are going to get your jumps back eventually.
    Thank you very much. One has to be realistic. I probably won't be able to jump ever again. I have to admit that it did make me quite upset at first, but at least I can still skate and there is still plenty of things I can do and I can still improve a lot (compulsory dances, free dance, field moves). There is no point of feeling sorry for myself; it would be much worse if I couldn't skate at all. THAT would be REALLY upsetting! I know, this sound so sensible - it took me a while before I accepted this. Trust me, I tried to jump several times, but the price was not being able to walk (and skate) properly for a week afterwards - it was not worth it! Saying that, both Coughlin and Czisny are elite skaters, so their conditioning would have been much better and therefore their outcome may also be much better than mine. I am also not as slim as Alissa so the impact on my joints would be much bigger than on her joints, and for sure I don't have as much muscle mass as Coughlin, so they do have better chances.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast