Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Kiri Baga is in another sectional, I think?
    Is she? She was in Mids last year.

edit: okay, that's good to know. That's one less person for Alissa to worry about. The thing is, I think the other 4 girls really deserve to be at Nationals too. I would hate to see one of them knocked out by someone who can barely jump.

vCash
    I understand both of your points and would agree if it were any other skater but Alissa. I honest to God believe she doesn't need triples yet (only at Nationals). Reason: she's one of those skaters that has it all ~ fabulous spins, perfect carriage, elegant ballerina type figure ideal for figure skating, lovely high double axels, nice step sequences, nice speed with no pumping, beautiful spirals, connection to the music, well-choreographed programs, mature sophisticated lady with likewise skating. And let us not forget she's a 2-time National Champion (well-earned), World Team Member, and has been on the senior circuit for over a decade with a hard-earned celebrated reputation. That does not go unnoticed by the judges, and as I stated earlier it's not all about triple jumps, nor should it be.

Those other girls listed are nice, but imho none of them come close to Alissa in skating skills nor maturity. Nor are they consistent either. Therefore *I* sincerely believe that Alissa should have no problem finishing 4th or higher and guaranteeing herself a spot at Nationals. It'll be good to see her there again, apropos, as well as the other 2-time National Champion (i.e. Ashley Wagner) and any other past National Champions that may show up.

ps: can't wait to watch it on IN, as they've showed Sectionals for the past year or so now.

Title-less
    vCash
    It may be too early to say Czisny "should have no problem finishing 4th". When healthy, Miller, Long, Cain and Bell can score 150+. If Czisny doesn't plan triples, she'll have to rely on someone to make mistakes, and I don't want any girl to fall because I like all of them. And I want Carly to do well too.

Re: non-jump elements, I think some girls may be faster than Czisny, and Cain has very good, powerful 2As to go with her strong skating. How tough the caller is can play into things--a couple of girls here do occasionally have URs.

This week's jgp will tell us where Miller is at; right now I guess Cain, Bell and Miller for qualifying. Carly and Long need to bring their best to compete. Czisny could use a triple or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I understand both of your points and would agree if it were any other skater but Alissa. I honest to God believe she doesn't need triples yet (only at Nationals). Reason: she's one of those skaters that has it all ~ fabulous spins, perfect carriage, elegant ballerina type figure ideal for figure skating, lovely high double axels, nice step sequences, nice speed with no pumping, beautiful spirals, connection to the music, well-choreographed programs, mature sophisticated lady with likewise skating. And let us not forget she's a 2-time National Champion (well-earned), World Team Member, and has been on the senior circuit for over a decade with a hard-earned celebrated reputation. That does not go unnoticed by the judges, and as I stated earlier it's not all about triple jumps, nor should it be.

Those other girls listed are nice, but imho none of them come close to Alissa in skating skills nor maturity. Nor are they consistent either. Therefore *I* sincerely believe that Alissa should have no problem finishing 4th or higher and guaranteeing herself a spot at Nationals. It'll be good to see her there again, apropos, as well as the other 2-time National Champion (i.e. Ashley Wagner) and any other past National Champions that may show up.

ps: can't wait to watch it on IN, as they've showed Sectionals for the past year or so now.
    I wasn't saying that the other girls are better skaters than Alissa. I was just trying to say it won't be easy for her to beat them. Other than Miller, they've all scored higher than Alissa this season and they weren't even clean. I know it isn't all about triple jumps but it still doesn't seem right to me for someone with only doubles to go to Nationals based on reputation. And I say this as someone who's a big fan of Alissa and wants her to make it. But I want the other girls to make it too. I wish they weren't all in the same section

vCash

I would not say Alissa has it all since she's a average jumper at best on her good days and doesn't skate with a lot of speed. Her double axel is just average too. And shouldn't a skater who has it all also be a good competitor? And there is still debate too if she even deserved to have won Nationals in 2009.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I would not say Alissa has it all since she's a average jumper at best on her good days and doesn't skate with a lot of speed. Her double axel is just average too. And shouldn't a skater who has it all also be a good competitor?
    Agree.

I've seen many a scary 2A from Alissa in practice and competition -- and this is when she was healthy.

I really enjoy her skating and absolutely respect her perseverance, but there's a reason why triples are mandatory in the short at the senior level. Yes, choreography, skating skills, spins, moves are all important, but so are jumps.

If she doesn't have at least two different, solid triples (because that's what is required), I'm afraid she won't make the cut.
    Last edited by all_empty; 10-09-2013 at 04:10 AM.

vCash
    I wish her well, but with the depth of the field this year, it seems unlikely she will make the team even with 3 spots available. She is never at her best when skating cautiously and that is what she is doing now to avoid further injury.
    Last edited by Iceman; 10-09-2013 at 03:22 PM.

vCash
    I think Alyssa has more depth to her skating if she never lands a jump than many skaters do who reel off triples. She is an artist out there. And what spirit and heart!

I wish she could go to the OLYS....just because.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    I think Alyssa has more depth to her skating if she never lands a jump than many skaters do who reel off triples. She is an artist out there. And what spirit and heart!

I wish she could go to the OLYS....just because.
    Does she have any Slovak blood and is it easy to acquire citizenship quickly? Just sayin'. Slovak ladies didn't do too well at the recent Nepela Trophy, yet Slovakia earned a spot through Simancikova (who was much stronger last spring than she is now).
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Does she have any Slovak blood and is it easy to acquire citizenship quickly? Just sayin'. Slovak ladies didn't do too well at the recent Nepela Trophy, yet Slovakia earned a spot through Simancikova (who was much stronger last spring than she is now).
    Well the last name Czisny does sound rather eastern european so who knows maybe she does have some Slovakian blood in her.

vCash
    Anybody that knows me and my posts over the years knows that I'm not Alissa Czisny's biggest fan, but that all changed when she miraculously started landing 6/7 triple programs a few years ago and was becoming consistent for the first time ever in over a decade. My respect for her went up immeasureably. She proved that old adage correct "never give up". Her perseverance is admirable, it's just too bad that her body had to go and get injured. Yet as always she doesn't give up.

I believe in Alissa and believe she will make it out of Sectionals and into Nationals on the strength of her skating. And I sincerely believe, for Sectionals, she doesn't need triple jumps in order to grab that last spot nor should she. As long as she skates clean with a beautiful well-constructed program, emotion, gorgeous spins, nice 2axels (with 2toes added on), et al, she should make it. Her skating really is head & shoulders above those other young un's listed and rightfully so. Jmho as always.

vCash

I believe in Alissa and believe she will make it out of Sectionals and into Nationals on the strength of her skating. And I sincerely believe, for Sectionals, she doesn't need triple jumps in order to grab that last spot nor should she. As long as she skates clean with a beautiful well-constructed program, emotion, gorgeous spins, nice 2axels (with 2toes added on), et al, she should make it. Her skating really is head & shoulders above those other young un's listed and rightfully so. Jmho as always.
    I would be stunned if Alissa makes it to Nationals with zero triple jumps. Mids is the toughest field and even with Kiri gone, she would need help from the others already mentioned to sneak into 4th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I would be stunned if Alissa makes it to Nationals with zero triple jumps. Mids is the toughest field and even with Kiri gone, she would need help from the others already mentioned to sneak into 4th.
    She may be conveniently assigned to some international during Sectionals. She would have to obtain a min score anyway to have a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    She may be conveniently assigned to some international during Sectionals. She would have to obtain a min score anyway to have a shot.
    I would love for that to happen. That way she still has a chance to make it to Nationals without running the risk of having one of the other strong skaters at Mids to miss out.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    What international competitions are there in NOvember?

vCash
    I think Ice Challenge is in November.

Title-less
    vCash
    I think if Czisny has demonstrated competition readiness she would have been assigned already. I guess she hasnt proven readiness yet. What is the min she is supposed to get?
    If anyone in the field deserves a sr B it is Cain who is in v good shape and it also results in an easier MW field
    Last edited by jlai; 10-10-2013 at 12:00 AM.

vCash
    As much as I love Czisny, it would be utter insanity to send her to an international competition when she's not capable of landing any triples.

vCash
    Ice Challenge Graz is scheduled 19-24 November this year. It directly conflicts with Mids.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I think if Czisny has demonstrated competition readiness she would have been assigned already. I guess she hasnt proven readiness yet. What is the min she is supposed to get?
    4CC/Olympic TES minimums are LADIES SP 20.00 FS 36.00.

If anyone in the field deserves a sr B it is Cain who is in v good shape.and it also results in an easier mw field
    I agree with this!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-09-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast