Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks for the update on Alissa, sounds like she's doing FABO!

Sometimes having an injury and sitting out a season or part of a season is a good thing and the skater comes back renewed/refreshed and better than ever. Plenty of examples in figure skating to support such a statement ~ Michelle Kwan (stress fracture in foot, sat out 1997 GPF), Sasha Cohen (stress fracture in back, sat out 2001 Nationals), Midori Ito (broken ankle, sat out 1985 Worlds), John Coughlin (torn hip, sat out 2013 Nationals & Worlds), Courtney Hicks (leg injury, sat out 2012 Nationals), and on & on...

Here's hoping Alissa comes back better than ever (like those aforementioned) and fights for a spot on the 2014 Olympic Team!

vCash
    To me qualifyin through past reputation goes against the idea of qualifying the best skaters based on how they are skating now
    We're not talking about handing out spots on the Worlds team here, just getting into Nationals. From there, all the skaters still have to prove what they can do today. It just makes sense to let skaters with recent accomplishments focus on their training and plan their schedules to optimize their preparedness, rather than going off to these small-time qualifying events. (And please, don't try to argue that US regionals are not small time. Yes, for the kids and skaters with no results they are a big deal, but for skaters with senior international results, these are small.)

vCash
    I kind of understand the idea of giving Alissa a bye to Nationals. Because Alissa going through Regionals and Sectionals means an unknown skater isn't going to get the chance to go to Nationals.

Unless she has another tragic program where she falls and cannot get up; Alissa will make it through qualifying to Nationals. Her spins and PCS will carry her there, regardless of jump content. Because USFS does not qualify on past reputation, she will literally be taking someone else's spot. Sure, that skater had no hopes of being anything but bottom of the barrel, but making it to Nationals is a huge deal for most skaters.

So I understand why Alissa has to qualify, but I feel real bad for whomever is 5th in her region, and even worse for whoever is 5th at sectionals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Sure, that skater had no hopes of being anything but bottom of the barrel, but making it to Nationals is a huge deal for most skaters.

So I understand why Alissa has to qualify, but I feel real bad for whomever is 5th in her region, and even worse for whoever is 5th at sectionals.
    Well, those skaters will just have to work really hard to make it. It'll raise the competition level for everyone.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Midwestern Sectional Senior ladies' competitors this November could include Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Mariah Bell, Barbie Long, Czisny, Flatt...

I wouldn't have an objection if USFS decided to give a Sectional bye to 2-time National champ Alissa by assigning her to compete at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria, in order to attain the minimum scores for the Olympics/Four Continents.

Relevant excerpt from: http://espn.go.com/olympics/figuresk...stering-season
    Two other former U.S. champions, Rachael Flatt and Alissa Czisny, are registered for the [National] qualifiers. Flatt, the 2010 U.S. champion, and Czisny, who won in 2009 and 2011, missed last year's nationals because of injuries. They would have to place in the top four at both their regional and sectional competitions to earn spots at the U.S. championships, which begin Jan. 9 in Boston.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-18-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    We're not talking about handing out spots on the Worlds team here, just getting into Nationals. From there, all the skaters still have to prove what they can do today.
    Same rule should apply to all USFS competitions.

It just makes sense to let skaters with recent accomplishments focus on their training and plan their schedules to optimize their preparedness, rather than going off to these small-time qualifying events. (And please, don't try to argue that US regionals are not small time. Yes, for the kids and skaters with no results they are a big deal, but for skaters with senior international results, these are small.)
    USFS already allow recent accomplishments take into account -- a top five finish at nationals past year. Maybe you want reputation to be a bigger factor--that's where we disagree and we'll have to leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Well, those skaters will just have to work really hard to make it. It'll raise the competition level for everyone.
    ITA There's no need to make a new rule at all. The Czisny team is not asking for exceptions either.
    I understand the push to give byes to all top skaters so more skaters can qualify for nationals. But I think cost is a factor and I sure am not footing the bill Nationals tickets are expensive enough as they are :

vCash
    Are there any vids of her latest competition?
    Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Midwestern Sectional Senior ladies' competitors this November could include Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Mariah Bell, Barbie Long, Czisny, Flatt...
    Good God, that is a ridiculously tough field. At least the lovely Kiri Baga has switched to Easterns

Title-less
    vCash
    I thought there was talk about Czisny getting a senior B around the time of sectionals? If she does well at regionals I suspect that may happen.

I hope M Bell makes the jgpf, for the sake of the sr ladies at MW

vCash
    The USFSA may strategically want to assign 2-3 ladies to Ice Challenge just to clear the field a bit. A move like that wouldn't surprise me at all because as an example, 3 US pairs were assigned to Ondrej Nepela. I wouldn't doubt that one of the ladies assigned would be Czisny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Okay, I take my statement back. That is a much tougher sectionals than usual. Alissa will need her jumps.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Alissa won the Eastern Great Lakes Regional Senior Ladies event today with a total score of 145.12 (50.23 SP, 94.89 FS) and has advanced to Midwestern Sectionals in November.

EGL Senior Ladies protocols:
    SP: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/SEGM019.html
    Czisny (22.75 TES/28.48 PCS, -1 ded.): 3Lz<< fall, 2T+2T (-3 GOE because a triple is required), 2A (-0.67), all 3 spins were level 4, level 2 step seq.
    FS: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/SEGM022.html
    She landed mostly doubles today, including both 2A (with + GOE) and 3Lz< fall; 2 of 3 spins were level 4, level 2 steps. 41.63 TES/54.26 PCS, -1.

(Aside: Flatt has switched to the Central Pacific region, much more convenient to Stanford, and will not be competing out of SW/Mids after all.)

ETA a photo of a smiling Alissa wearing her EGL gold medal: http://instagram.com/p/fN3T2glU-O/ (ETA: tweeted by an EGL Novice ladies' competitor and junior instructor at the Louisville SA host club)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-09-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Considering the severity of her injuries Alissa should be proud of this result. However looking at those protocols it seems evident that Sochi seems rather unlikely.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Good to know Alissa got through regionals. Best of luck at sectionals!

I'm glad Alissa is back and if I had to pick a sentimental favorite to give that 3rd spot to it would be her. Having said that, those kinds of scores would not even get her into the top 10 at nationals. There's still about 3 months or so left until nationals but I'm wondering how much can she improve in that amount of time.

vCash
    I'm hoping that she was just playing it safe at Regionals (and knew she could do so and still advance to Sectionals). Hoping she is able to up her content without injuring herself.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I'm hoping that she was just playing it safe at Regionals (and knew she could do so and still advance to Sectionals).
    That's what I'm hoping - she knew she'd be fine with just doubles. Interestingly, ignoring the impact it would have had on PCS and well-balanced rules, if she did her freeskate without any jumps at all, she would have been 4th in the free; and still moved onto sectionals.

vCash
    Copied & pasted my reply from the K&C here:

Great news for Alissa. She doesn't want to rush it like she did before and cause further injury and sit out time. One step at a time, which she is doing nicely. Her spins, well-choreographed programs, elegance, PCS, and double axels should easiliy qualify her for Nationals, and rightfully so. It's not all about triple jumps after all, and I agree with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Copied & pasted my reply from the K&C here:

Great news for Alissa. She doesn't want to rush it like she did before and cause further injury and sit out time. One step at a time, which she is doing nicely. Her spins, well-choreographed programs, elegance, PCS, and double axels should easiliy qualify her for Nationals, and rightfully so. It's not all about triple jumps after all, and I agree with that.
    Umm...do you realize that she's going to be up against Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Mariah Bell, Barbie Long and Kiri Baga? That's not going to be easy at all. She'll need triples.

Title-less
    vCash
    Kiri Baga is in another sectional, I think?

Yes, Midwestern is a tough field, and Czisny will need a couple of triples.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Kiri Baga is in another sectional, I think?
    Yes, New England region/Eastern section.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast