Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I hope she does not stress her body with the 3-3. If she can get back to anything like 2011 then that's victory enough. She would make the Olympic team with a skate like that.

vCash
    Thanks for the link to the interview. If theres anyone whom i wanna see on the olympic team, its her!

Btw, i think she chose the same version of gwtw as anna rechnio's for her short programme in 1998. Absolutely loved anna rechnio....

vCash
    BTW, was that a 3sal during practice?

vCash
    2salchow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I so badly want Alissa to make the team. Thank goodness for 3 spots, she may have a shot at it.
    A million dittos! I cried through the last half of that interview. What a lovely ending to this part of her story, were she to make the team. I just adore her.........both her skating and her character and charm.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    What’s the Secret to Alissa Czisny’s Spins? (TSL video extra): http://www.theskatinglesson.com/alissa-czisny-extras/
    Included below the video:
    A message from Alissa to her fans:

“I want to express my gratitude for my fans’ support through both the hard times and the good times. I’m forever thankful for that and for my family, coaches and friends who continue to believe in me!”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-09-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Just as I thought. The video didn't reveal anything.

Some skaters are just born spinners. If all it took was practice, practice, and practice then there would've been more people that can spin like Krieg, Biellman, Ruh, and Lambiel.

vCash
    In the video, she says practice, lots of practice. Even someone with great innate ability isn't going to get it without practice.

I took a lesson from her, and the things she told me made me feel like she was obsessive about perfection, repetition, and practice. (In my case it was how to over come one-sidedness as a lefty, when so many things in skating are set up for righties.)

vCash
    I wish they had asked her when she thought she might start jumping. Olympic Trials (interviewer)? Don't let the isu get wind of that. The score differences between her spins and most other skaters should be larger than I think it usually is.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Alissa may truly believe it's only practice but I agree that there is a lot of natural ability factoring in as well.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Amber Czisny was an exceptional spinner as well - she rotated her jumps counterclockwise but could also spin clockwise.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I wish they had asked her when she thought she might start jumping. Olympic Trials (interviewer)? Don't let the isu get wind of that. The score differences between her spins and most other skaters should be larger than I think it usually is.
    Agreed, for her and other great spinners like Lambiel, the GOE just isn't enough.

But Alissa could up the base value of her spins and that would help.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    New interview: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Icenetwork.com: As I understand, in preparation for the coming Olympic season, you're skating two sessions per day, gradually increasing the difficulty of your spins and jumps and planning to add a triple-triple jump combination to your program elements. Could you tell us more about that?

Czisny: The training will gradually increase as my hip heals and becomes better able to handle the increased stress and harder skills, so we have been taking it day by day and week by week. The most important thing is that we don't push the hip beyond what it is able to do each day, because we do not want to risk further injuries to the area. Once I have fully regained the strength and control in the hip, we will be able to add the new elements as well.

Icenetwork.com: In the new season, you are not entered in any Grand Prix events. Do you plan to participate at some other international competitions?

Czisny: Again, the plan is to take as much time as I need to heal fully and regain complete ability before I compete. I would like to be ready to compete when the season commences this fall, in hopes of participating in other international competitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Agreed, for her and other great spinners like Lambiel, the GOE just isn't enough.

But Alissa could up the base value of her spins and that would help.
    She usually gets L4 on all her spins regardless (with the occasional L3), and a few times she's scored perfect +3 across the board, so not sure how she could get more points there, unless there are particular types of spins with higher base value (say, L4 flying camel has a higher BV than a L4 flying sit, or whatever).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Odd interview. She sounded like a lawyer protecting information on a confidential client

vCash
    The L4 layback is only worth 2.7, so if she replaced it with a 2nd combo spin, with a flying entrance, she could gain 0.8 points.

vCash
    Doesn't Alissa have to establish the minimum TES at an international comp to be eligible for Olys/Worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    The L4 layback is only worth 2.7, so if she replaced it with a 2nd combo spin, with a flying entrance, she could gain 0.8 points.
    The well balanced program rule does not allow two combination spins. For a well balance program, a senior ladies FS has:

"maximum of 3 spins, one of which must be a spin combination, one a flying spin or a spin with a flying entrance and one a spin with only one position"

The other relevant language reads:

"All Spins must be of a different character. Any Spin with the same character (abbreviation) as the one executed before will be deleted (but will occupy a spinning box).
    The spins must have a required minimum number of revolutions: six (6) for the flying spin and the spin with only one position and ten (10) for the spin combination, the lack of which must be reflected by Judges in their marking. These minimum number of required revolutions must be counted from the entry of the spin until its exit (except final wind-up in Spins in one position and Flying spins). In the spin combination and spin in one position the change of foot is optional. The number of different positions in the spin combination is free."

The rules do permit a flying entrance to the combination spin, but it just helps get a level, it doesn't change the base value of the spin. So, if a skater is already getting level 4 through other features, adding a flying entrance does not add any points.

So the most points a lady can get for the three spins (using the highest scoring options) would be 13.9 points with all L4 and +3GOE, as follows:

Spin in one position (Layback is worth most): Level 4 = 2.7+1.5
    (after that are camel=2.6, sit=2.5, upright=2.4)

Flying Spin (layback or camel): Level 4 = 3.2+1.5
    (after those are sit=3.0 and layback=2.9)

Spin Combination (both change of position and change of foot): Level 4 = 3.5+1.5
    (others range down to 2.9 base value for L4)

A less great spinner with slightly easier spins, Level 3s and +1 GOEs can earn 9 points (more with some +2 GOES or if they use a camel or layback somewhere).

So, there really is not a lot of reward for great spinning, but really, there wasn't under 6.0 either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Doesn't Alissa have to establish the minimum TES at an international comp to be eligible for Olys/Worlds?
    That's the least of her concerns. The TES minimums are well below what she would need to get on the Olympic Team. If the USFSA needs to rush her off to a Senior "B" somewhere in January or February, it will do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    If the USFSA needs to rush her off to a Senior "B" somewhere in January or February, it will do so.
    The article does quote her as saying " I would like to be ready to compete when the season commences this fall, in hopes of participating in other international competitions." So I think she knows she needs to post a qualifying score somewhere, sometime next season.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast