Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    I don't think this is the case. She has a degree in international studies and speaks several languages. Clearly she has thought about life outside skating. I think she wants to be able to look back and say she at least tried one more time to make the Olympic team.
    At least a portion of her degree was done in actual classrooms too- so it's not like she's some sheltered little flower who has never been in the real world.

I do, however, think it is difficult for skater's to give up on their dream. It is something they have worked so hard for, and just giving it another year or two could make the difference for them. And even if she doesn't want to leave the rink, she could without a doubt earn money coaching. I know not all skaters make good coaches, I've taken a lesson from her, and she's soft spoken- so she'd have to work on that and be a bit more aggressive, but she knows what she's doing and is a good teacher. And even if she isn't a fabulous coach- her notoriety alone could earn her a living as "take from famous coach" until she transitions into something else.

vCash
    Yes, giving up on your dreams isn't easy. We can't blame people for trying. And let's not forget Wylie in Albertville. At the end of his competitive career one last try, nobody expected that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I am not sure if you realise how bad the injury is and how serious the operation is. To repair labral tear (through keyhole surgery) they have to pull the hip out of the hip socket. The hip will never feel the same. I had the same surgery a week before Alissa. I was on the ice about 3-4 months after the surgery, but being on the ice does not mean that I was able to jump. I am not an elite skater, I am only adult skater and before the surgery had all my singles minus the axel. Since the surgery I have not been able to jump at all; I had to switch to a solo dance. My hip feels a bit like if you wear big shoes - everything feels fine and then suddenly when you least expect it something inside there moves (like if the hip socket is too big for the hip). The hip is a bit unstable and I was warned that from then on I will be prone to hip dislocation. Luckily I have not dislocated it yet, and neither did John Coughlin. However, if you remember, Alissa was not so lucky and on her first competition she dislocated the hip and had to have another surgery to put the hip back into its socket, so that would obviously seriously delay her comeback. Also, John Coughlin is a pair skater so all he needs is two triples. In comparison, Alissa needs full set of triples, therefore she must be practising them much more and her return would be much slower than his. If you imagine that landing a jump means an impact on your hips and knees of 4-6 times your body weight, although Alissa is a very slim lady, during every training she needs to do quite a few jumps and that is definitely not helping her hip.
    I seem to remember, too, that Coughlin said he'd discovered his injury quite early, when it wasn't too terrible. Alissa's was clearly present for a while--months, at least--before she experienced any symptoms, so the damage was most likely worse.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Everyone keeps remembering Alyssa as she WAS not as she IS now. She is past her prime as anyone who has PHYSICALLY SEEN her in the last few months can attest to. I don't understand her mentality of pushing her body to do something it can no longer do... She could be causing permanent damage and still not achieve the goal she's after.
    I wonder what her goals are at this point. From her performances at Regionals, she does look to be far from where she needs to be for Nationals. Sooner or later, that reality has to set in.

Still, I am sure she can handle competitive disappointments. It is the damage aspect that saddens me more. IMO, continuing to train for eligible competition on a twice surgically repaired hip is likely to leave her with arthritis and maybe other permanent damage she may really regret in 10 or 15 years time. I wonder if her object will soon become preparing for a few years of touring and shows, to make some good money that will help her get started on the rest of her life.

And you see SO many past champions doing this. Evan, Weir and Alyssa, Kwan did it too---getting herself to the Olympics then scratching and making Hughes scramble to the rescue for the US.
    At least the USFS won't make that mistake again. Having missed all last year, I don't see any way they could put Czisny on the Olympic team unless she places top 2 at Nationals.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Who knows. We will find out at Sectionals later this month.

I find it odd that people were reporting that over the summer, she had every triple jump back up to the loop, and we are not seeing any evidence of it today. Has she perhaps re-injured herself? Also, John Coughlin was back on the ice 3 months after recovering from surgery on a torn labrum. It seems to be taking Czisny over a year to recover from the same injury

Has there been any conjecture or speculation as to what's going on?
    Couglin was "back on the ice" but he also withdrew from nationals/worlds! We didn't see them compete for a long time after his surgery, and pairs does not have the intense jumping requirements of singles which puts a lot of repetitive stress on the hip. Alissa probably needed longer than John. Alissa might be scared of falling again. The second hip injury had to be psychologically devastating. I hope that she can get to nationals.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Thank you very much. One has to be realistic. I probably won't be able to jump ever again. I have to admit that it did make me quite upset at first, but at least I can still skate and there is still plenty of things I can do and I can still improve a lot (compulsory dances, free dance, field moves). There is no point of feeling sorry for myself; it would be much worse if I couldn't skate at all. THAT would be REALLY upsetting! I know, this sound so sensible - it took me a while before I accepted this. Trust me, I tried to jump several times, but the price was not being able to walk (and skate) properly for a week afterwards - it was not worth it! Saying that, both Coughlin and Czisny are elite skaters, so their conditioning would have been much better and therefore their outcome may also be much better than mine. I am also not as slim as Alissa so the impact on my joints would be much bigger than on her joints, and for sure I don't have as much muscle mass as Coughlin, so they do have better chances.
    That's not true - you will jump again. Tons of athletes (including skaters) have had this surgery, and after a lengthy recovery, they usually feel better than before. Take it easy and you will get everything back. As you mentioned, it is a very serious surgery, so give yourself time. Good luck!

vCash
    How is it looking for her at Sectionals? Anybody have a sense for the depth of that field?

vCash
    I always look to Sylvia for such questions.
    http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/

Based on this she would seem like she has a shot, as long as she can improve on what she did at regionals, but that she might well get left behind. Her top competitors are Cain, Miller, Long and Bell.
    Last edited by toddlj; 11-08-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spoke too soon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    I always look to Sylvia for such questions.
    http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/

Based on this she would seem safe, as long as she can keep up with what she did at regionals.
    Actually it's a tough field, IMO. There are five ladies competing for four spots: Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Barbie Long, Mariah Bell and Alissa.

Alissa will need to land some triples, i.e. more than she did at regionals. Mariah's score was barely above Alissa's but that's not even her best performance. Her ISU SB is 153.17. Ashley Cain looks pretty good, based on her performance on Nebelhorn.

The biggest question marks to me is Hannah Miller and Barbie Long. Both Hannah and Barbie skated poorly at JGP, but judging from her recent regional performance, Barbie looks like she's on her way back.

I'm not so sure about Hannah, but sectionals are at her home rink, so perhaps that might present some advantage.

vCash
    Thanks Mrs. P., you're right of course, I edited since my initial post.

vCash
    I really wish the USFSA would've sent a 2nd lady to Ice Challenge from Midwesterns. All the ladies mentioned deserve to be at Nationals

vCash
    Correction, there are 14 Ladies competing for 4 spots.... And yes, it is a very tough field and noone wants to be counted out

vCash
    Alissa Czisny skated in the Disson holiday-themed show in Florida last night - backstage pic tweeted by Disson Skating: http://pic.twitter.com/T6Zvj0opMB

Martina McBride tweeted:
    4 hours ago
    "Singing with Alissa Czisny skating beautifully. At the @DissonSkating show. It airs on NBC December 1 from 4-6 EST" http://instagram.com/p/ghDaNyE5lh/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I was at the Florida show in Jacksonville on Saturday night. I wish Alissa the best of luck at Sectionals and a full recovery, but her skating looked rough. Her spins are still beautiful, but the jumps just weren't there.

vCash
    What jumps did she attempt?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789