View Poll Results: Kim Yu-Na - the greatest of all time if she wins 2014 Olympics & Worlds?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 52.63%
  • No

43 45.26%
  • Don't Know

2 2.11%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Kim Yu-Na - the greatest of all time if she wins 2014 Olympics & Worlds?

If Kim Yu-Na goes on to become a double Olympic champion and a 3 times world champion by the end of the 2013/14 season, will that make her arguably the greatest female singles figure skater of all time? My view is that it would. She will have proved that she has just as much technical ability as any female skater that has ever lived (except perhaps for Midori Ito). Her artistry is up there with most of the top artistic skaters in history. She would also have demonstrated that she has the nerve and competitive spirit to win the most important events (i.e. the Olympics, Worlds). Michelle Kwan, of course, never managed to win an Olympic title. Furthermore, she will almost have matched Katrina Witt in terms of the number of Olympic and World titles she will have won - Katarina won 4 World titles along with her two Olympic titles. Neither Kim nor Katarina can match the number of titles won by Sonja Henie, but Henie was competing in a completely different era in which the sport was totally different to what it is today. Hence, what Kim will have demonstrated is that she has it all - that she is the complete package: technical and artistic ability of the highest quality, the nerve to win the big events, and a medal haul to match that of all except Witt and Henie.

vCash
    God, here we go yet again...this same damn poll has been posted no less than three times in the last two weeks.

I know it's the off-season but isn't there anything else we can speculate about?

And BTW, Yu-Na isn't going to worlds...she said Sochi will be her last competition.

vCash
    She is a wonderful skater....but best ever? Nope. I wouldn't even know how to define "best". Michelle is the best because she skated so long and so consistently won. Tara was the best because she won everything and was the youngest. Sasha was best because of her amazing musicality and artistry. Irina was the best for her athletic ability. See what I mean? Katerina Witt she was the best for her playfulness, sexiness and two OGM. Alyssa is the best at spinning.........and for her amazing re-make.

And, I can't imagine Yu-Na going to Worlds after Olys. But, who knows.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    God, here we go yet again...this same damn poll has been posted no less than three times in the last two weeks.

I know it's the off-season but isn't there anything else we can speculate about?

And BTW, Yu-Na isn't going to worlds...she said Sochi will be her last competition.
    The poll your thinking of was done last December, with most of voting taking place at the same time. Many people will have re-evaluated their view in light of Kim's impressive win at Worlds.

I think Kim will go for a hat-trick of World titles

vCash
    She told this worlds were important for her because this is the last time she compete at worlds. So no way she will be there. Besides, she didn't want to be at worlds after last Olympics and did awful at that competition. And she has competed in such a short period.
    No skater will never be the best skater of all time. Different times has different standards, different focus on what may be important. An besides, it is a judged sport, it is always a matter of taste. Many people appreciate one skater and others, other skaters. You have to respect all the skaters, but you may like different ones.

vCash
    I dont think it will make a difference either way. Most who feel she would be best ever winning in Sochi already think she is now. Most who dont think she would be even winning in Sochi wont change their mind either.

vCash
    I'm afraid of such threads...
    Her fans usually do not make thread like this...
    Last edited by karlon; 05-01-2013 at 10:32 PM.

vCash
    ^^^ I don't think what happened in Sochi has anything to do with how one would view "Greatest Skater Ever".
    It is a piece of the puzzle, sure, but I think it is more dependent on what the criteria are. Many would say Michelle is one of the greatest ever.......and she has no OGM.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    In my opinion, this year's World Championships cemented her status as one of the greatest of all time. I don't think there's any figure skater who is arguably THE GREATEST of all time.

vCash
    I think each person have difference opinion who is the best of the greatest of all time. I can not understand why this kind of polls are created many times... Maybe she will be the best of the greatest in korean's heart... not for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont think it will make a difference either way. Most who feel she would be best ever winning in Sochi already think she is now. Most who dont think she would be even winning in Sochi wont change their mind either.
    Exactly. Everyone on these boards have already made up their mind on this question whether she wins in Sochi or not. We figure skating enthusiasts have favorites and biases that are set in stone.

However, I do think the world at large--the one outside of these specialty figure skating forums--will readily regard her as the greatest figure skater if she defends her title in Sochi.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    If we all vote YES will people quit making this poll?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    If we all vote YES will people quit making this poll?
    No, for then there would be a consensus to challenge, simply because it exists.

vCash
    If Yuna is not the greatest of all time then who is ??

vCash
    Sonia Henie? Katarina Witt won two OGMs, four World championships, and six European championships so if we're just going by hardware, she'd be a strong contender. Beatrix Schuba was considered the best skater in terms of school figures. Janet Lynn is considered the best free skater of her period. Madge Syers competed and won the silver medal at Worlds when it was an all-mens event. Michelle Kwan...

The list goes on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    If Yuna is not the greatest of all time then who is ??
    I have seen a similar post in another forum. In that post "If yagudin is not the best of all time then who is??"
    That post was refuted by the other posters in fast time and they refferring to other skaters dick button, john curry, etc..

Each person have difference opinion who is the greatest of all time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Sonia Henie? Katarina Witt won two OGMs, four World championships, and six European championships so if we're just going by hardware, she'd be a strong contender. Beatrix Schuba was considered the best skater in terms of school figures. Janet Lynn is considered the best free skater of her period. Madge Syers competed and won the silver medal at Worlds when it was an all-mens event. Michelle Kwan...

The list goes on.
    I can understand some people saying that sonja henie is the greatest, as she did win 3 olympics. Katarina Witt won her second olympic title with 2 triple salchows and 2 triple toes in an era where the top skater should have landed 3lz and 3lo in the free skate, Katarina then returned and placed 8th at europeans and 7th at olympics. Beatrix also considered one of the best at compulsory figures, was not the best free skater of her time. Same with janet lynn, considered the best at free skate, but not in figures. Madge syers competed way too long ago to know what she was actually capable of. Michelle kwan placed 2nd and 3rd at her olympic attempts.

I know the eras are different however Yuna is

The only female skater to win olympics, world championships, four continents championships and grand prix final.
    She is the current world record holder and has broken the world record 11 times
    First female skater to surpass 200 points
    Has not finished off the podium in her entire career

Not only is she the strongest technical female skater ever, but she is also known for her mature artistry.

If she is not the greatest female skater of all time then i don't know who is.

vCash
    But she's the only two-time world champion. Katarina witt and Sonja Henie have much better career, Michelle Had a longer career than her.
    Kim also has weaknesses. 3F wrong edge, weak on artistry, etc.
    Last edited by torren; 05-02-2013 at 10:30 AM.

vCash
    The members of this forum have their own favorites.
    It is really meaningless to vote on this forum.

but

If the poll is conducted thruout the WORLD, YUNA will come out as the CLEAR WINNER with more than 70 % of total votes.

Then... Katarina with 10 %... rest will be shared by Mao, Kristi, Midori... little girl who was Michelle's competitor(not well-known in the world...forgot her name.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    But she's the only two-time world champion. Katarina witt and Sonja Henie have much better career, Michelle Had a longer career than her.
    Kim also has weaknesses. 3F wrong edge, weak on artistry, etc.
    LOL
    Yes, her Tango de Roxane SP, her James Bond SP, her 2010 LP, her 2011 LP were weak on artistry

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast