Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash

USOC says "Meet the next great U.S. figure skater"

Just got an email from the US Olympic Committee titled Meet the next great U.S. figure skater.

Oh, no pressure or anything here:

"American women who win Olympic figure skating gold medals are instant pop icons. Just ask Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi and Sarah Hughes.

Ashley Wagner could be next."

Comes with a video I haven't watched Go-For-The-Gold-Ashley-Wagner

I have to admit when I saw the email my first thought was Gracie Gold.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I don't see Ashley as a great skater. She's good but not dazzling in anything she does and i don't see her getting much better. She might medal at Worlds when the top 3 retire but she's not in their league right now. Sure she can beat someone like Mao occasionally but she needs help and if the top 3 skate like they can Ashley's not beating them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't see Ashley as a great skater. She's good but not dazzling in anything she does and i don't see her getting much better. She might medal at Worlds when the top 3 retire but she's not in their league right now. Sure she can beat someone like Mao occasionally but she needs help and if the top 3 skate like they can Ashley's not beating them.
    Well THAT would have made a FABULOUS press release! "Meet the new mediocre US figure skater! She's not too dazzling and not really that great, but if the top skaters suck on any given day, she just MIGHT run away with a BRONZE MEDAL!!!"

Ashley's fine. She's always a contender for a medal, in my opinion.
    Team Peeps!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    Well THAT would have made a FABULOUS press release! "Meet the new mediocre US figure skater! She's not too dazzling and not really that great, but if the top skaters suck on any given day, she just MIGHT run away with a BRONZE MEDAL!!!"

You gotta go with what you got! She's definitely a medal contender but their email is pretty OTT given Ashley's international record. That said, Go for the Gold Ashley.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash

vCash
    I don't think Hughes ever became a pop icon and it took Kristi awhile. I can't see Ashley becoming an icon even if she wins the gold. Actually, I think the days of iconic status are gone.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I opened this expecting it to be more Gracie promotion. I'm glad Ashley is getting some props. She may not be the "greatest" American lady we've ever seen, but I personally love her for her fight and determination.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I opened this expecting it to be more Gracie promotion. I'm glad Ashley is getting some props. She may not be the "greatest" American lady we've ever seen, but I personally love her for her fight and determination.
    Me too. I am glad that the USFSA is supporting Ashley.

vCash
    For my short this year, I want to do a program that is edgy and sexy. No one is better at that than Shae-Lynn.
    I like the sound of this.

No matter the music of her programs, a priority for Wagner is upping the technical ante of her programs. She was fourth and fifth at the last two world championships, without the benefit of a consistent triple-triple combination.

“I’m always annoyingly close to a medal,” Wagner said. “For me, I think the difference is the triple-triple. It sets people apart.”

Wagner, who is an ambassador for the non-profit Classroom Champions, wants to be set apart from the field in the beginning of the season.

“I think that last season, I waited too long for the triple-triple,” she said. “By the time it came around to do it in competition, I crumbled under pressure. I am not going to allow myself to do that this season.”
    I like the sound of all that, as well

vCash
    The next great American figure skater, if there is one among current skaters, is Gracie Gold. Gracie kind of has it all--superior technical skills--ie, jumps, looks, youth. She isn't much of an artist, but under IJS, who cares? And she can improve in that area, just like Ashley did. People should get to know Gracie now, so they can say they knew her when.

vCash
    Gracie Gold is one of the USOC's Team USA figure skating bloggers, along with Meryl Davis, Charlie White, John Coughlin, and Johnny Weir. Gold's introductory blog was published on June 4th: http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...rs/Gracie-Gold
    Her June 4th blog: http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...kating-Journey
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    If articles were ever that honest I would read the news more. lol

vCash
    Good grief, I nearly spewed lemonade all over my computer - when did Sarah Hughes become a "pop icon????" And, um didn't they FORGET about one Olympic gold medalist who definitely had more impact on the sport that Sarah ever did? If I were Tara Lipinski and I read this, I'd be majorly PO'd. Not to mention another REAL icon who may have have not won Olympic gold but won 2 Olympic medals and became the most decorated US woman skater ever...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    This reminds me of McLaughlin-Brubaker being featured on Coke cans before the 2010 Olympics.

vCash
    somebody at USOC needs to do their marketing homework, sheesh....
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Good grief, I nearly spewed lemonade all over my computer - when did Sarah Hughes become a "pop icon????" And, um didn't they FORGET about one Olympic gold medalist who definitely had more impact on the sport that Sarah ever did? If I were Tara Lipinski and I read this, I'd be majorly PO'd. Not to mention another REAL icon who may have have not won Olympic gold but won 2 Olympic medals and became the most decorated US woman skater ever...
    This.^

vCash
    Patrick Chan thinks she will be on the Olympic podium.

vCash
    I agree with Yazmeen and Kwanette.
    Seriously, who wrote that email?

vCash
    Sounds like the campaigning they do for the Oscars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast